Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I can’t comment on the other models the TC is the only Konica I own and the shutter is LOUD. Like most old cameras replacement of the bumper pads and door seals are probably needed. The TC leather is known to shrink making the camera look horrid and for repairs contact Weber Camera. This site Denis’ Photography Pages might help decide which body and lens that would interest you.

03-28-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Hin,

I've been a long-time lover and user of Konica as well as Pentax. Pentax cameras have a much more refined feel, Konicas seem large and somewhat clunky by comparison. Glass is another story - that Hexanon 40/1.8 is enough to keep bringing me back. The 50 1.7 is fantastic too.

Camera bodies:

Original Auto-reflex: has a funky half-frame option, even mid roll. Expensive due to collector status.

Autoreflex T - came in two versions, both called T. Both are heavy, solid cameras, and have a shutter speed indicator and aperture setting in the viewfinder.

The T3 is considered by most to be the best one - there are two versions, the T3 and the T3N, though the "N" version just says T3 on it. The N version has a hot shoe. There is a variant of both the T3 and T3N with a split focus screen, identified with a sticker on the rear to the left of the viewfinder that says "S" or "Split". There are subtle variants of the split screen as well -some just a split, others with a split/microprism collar. Like the T, this is a heavy, tank-like camera. Full expose info in the viewfinder.

The A and the A3 are stripped-down versions of the T and T3. Best avoided.

The T4 is basically like your TC, but with a full range of speeds, and I think a DOF preview, if memory serves.

All bodies up to this point use mercury batteries (1.3v) and do not expose correctly with 1.55v silver cells. The best approach is to solder in a diode to drop the voltage and use silver cells. The cameras that use the larger battery (the PX 625) have enough room to nest a diode inside the compartment alongside two S76 cells, so soldering in a diode isn't needed. The TC and T4 use the PX 625; the T/T3 use the PX 675, which is the same size as a S76 cell.

Later cameras use AAA or AA cells, so no issues.

Avoid the FS-1, it suffered from electronic issues and can die without warning. Many used ones on the market are dead already.

The FT-1 is much more reliable than the FS-1 if you want a motor-drive body.

The FC-1 is a manual-wind version of the FT-1, and also has reliable electronics.

The FP-1 is a program-only camera, no manual control. Avoid, though useful for picking up good lenses on ebay with a body no one wants.

The TC-X is an all-plastic camera made by Cosina for Konica, and has a very flimsy feel. The tripod mount breaks easily. That said, it is very light and has full manual control, and uses AAA batteries.

Last edited by gabriel_bc; 03-28-2012 at 11:27 AM.
03-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Were only the Konica SLRs as long-lived as the Hexanon lenses are excellent...

Chris
07-15-2023, 03:46 AM   #19

someone is used it? Konica Auto-Reflex (AR) SLR Lens to Pentax K (PK) Mount SLR Camera Body Pro Mount Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA
there is some lens in this adapter, so I'm a bit concerned about quality
some samples? someone?

07-15-2023, 06:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always liked the TC especially with the 40/1.8. when I was going to buy my first new "modern" SLR the low end of pricing was the K1000 and the Konica Autorellflex TC. I can't remember the prices (around 1979-80) but it was something like $125 for the K1000 with 55/2 or 50/2, and the Konica was closer to $150. I went with the K1000 because I was poor and I wanted a full range of mechanical shutter speeds. But I still eye the TC on ebay and maybe someday I'll pull the trigger.

07-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #21

The Autoreflex TC is an excellent camera...back in the day I had one for a couple of years between a Zenit EM and my Nikon FE. I missed it for years afterwards.

They are a delight to use and cheap as chips to buy, and as has been said, the glass is just outstanding - Hexanon used to be the gold standard for Japanese lens approvals.

And as with all film cameras, unlike digital, it's just a box with a shutter, so if you enjoy using one it's all that matters.