Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #1

What film body? Specific requirements

Hey all

I would like to get a film body to have some fun...

Now what I would like from this body :

1) I can use all my lenses , like M-series and DFA-series . I don't have any A-series but that would be a plus .

2) I can control my aperture both from the body and the lens .

3) There is a Av/Tv programme

and these three are optional

Mirror lock-up

Not really loud shutter .

Autofocus

( btw I think *ist can fit the bill but its kinda expensive plus a little smaller camera would be better , not that the *ist is a big body.. )

I would like to use this body for street photography and some macrophotography

Thanks !

Edit : Please mention in the camera you list if it has AFocus , it would be nice if there is autofocus , but its not a requirement

Last edited by mer; 01-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.
01-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the best solution (dare I say it again) is a PZ-1 / PZ-1p

It can work with any lens produced by pentax, with the only limiting factor being the image circle of specific DA lenses, and if the pentax HSM lenses lack the focusing screw in the future.

It can control, for example the apature electronically of a pentax lens that lacks the apature adjustment ring.

It gives TTL flash metering with any lens including K mount,

It has the apature reading lever.

01-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second that PZ-1p choice !
01-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are also the ZX-5 and ZX-5n (same as MZ-5 and MZ-5n). And the *ist won't work with M lenses -- it has a crippled mount, as do all the other ZX-x AF cameras, other than the ones listed above. Not sure you'd fnd anything smaller than an *ist, though. If I remember correctly, it was the smallest AF film SLR ever made when it was released.

01-28-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

Pentax Z1!!!

One of the best cameras I 've ever had. Maybe the best one. Amazing! Nice piece, wonderful specs and wonderful verdict!!!
01-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try the MZ-5n has two dials for full manual control. worth a look at
02-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Consider ZX-L/MZ-6 as well. Unlike the MZ/ZX-3/5/S which require aperture rings for Av or Manual, you have body-controlled Av if the lens allows it. Small & light, DoF preview, wireless P-TTL, IR remote. Backlit LCD. Also handles nicely with the Fg AA battery pack.

No MLU. Has spotmeter in Manual enabled via custom setting which is a reasonable compromise though this isn't as nice as the separate switch that some of the other higher-end bodies have. Viewfinder is on the small side but it's probably about the same as a good D-SLR VF--appears to be about the same as my DS2 & K10D.

Also, P/PZ-20 isn't a bad choice if you want to save some money. Pretty nice, somewhat smaller & lighter than a P/PZ-1.