Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Spotmatic F repair question

So I bought a black Spotmatic F on ebay. It is in really clean, nice looking condition (looks like it was hardly used.) The only thing is the lightmeter doesn't work. I have a working chrome Spotmatic F and used the same battery to test in the new one. Needle just stays in the center. Battery compartment is clean and the metal connector in the compartment has a good spring to it, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I know that no one can answer 100%, but would this be something that might be able to be repaired? Specifically if I sent it out to Eric?

I just don't know if it is even reasonable to expect that this is something that might be fixed. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

03-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
mine has the same problem.
03-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I have a Spot-F that has a nonworking meter as well, I directly tested the meter with a little voltage and it did not move. It seems that the coil spring inside has broken away from the post it is attached to and that means not voltage to charge a coil and move it around the magnet inside. I've had this problem with a KX and know its lightmeter stopped due being dropped, but shows no dents because it was in a bag or something (seller mentioned). I've since repaired the KX and hope to do the same job on the Spotmatic soon, but it is not an easy soldering job due to the size. The common repair when you send it out is that the entire meter unit (the part with the needle in it) is replaced and I've recently heard from a different post that Eric was running low on those units? You should check with him soon about that and send in for repairs.
03-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you know, your money risk when you send something to Eric for evaluation is limited to the postage to Sharps Chapel, TN. If you decline his estimate he'll send the camera back to you at no cost to you. His estimates are free