Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Reviews for Non-Pentax, K-Mount 35mm SLR's?

Could there be room on Pentaxforums for Non-Pentax, K-mount camera reviews?

There is a section for 3rd party lenses... Maybe 3rd party K-mount SLR's too?

In the meantime... anyone got any info on the: Ricoh KR-10?

03-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dave,
butkus has the kr-10 manual.
I have a kr-10, and also a kr-5 super2 which I prefer and it is quite similar to the MX
KR-10's exposure needle was difficult to see in low light whereas the KR-5 has 3 leds

Taken with the Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 CFWA and the AF080C ringflash to the side in TTL mode on the istds
https://www.box.com/s/07b7c0299efa82881ec8
03-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry... KR-10M it is a later (80's at a guess) design...
03-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can add to that, my Ricoh XR-2s, which is complete with motor winder and Rikenon 50mmF2 lens. still have all the manuals, it is a poor man's K2DMD, but what I like about it is the viewfinder and controls are identical to my KX in every way, except the matched needle is green in stead of blue (or do I have that backwards?)

03-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You can add to that, my Ricoh XR-2s, which is complete with motor winder and Rikenon 50mmF2 lens. still have all the manuals, it is a poor man's K2DMD, but what I like about it is the viewfinder and controls are identical to my KX in every way, except the matched needle is green in stead of blue (or do I have that backwards?)
So true! I have your setup and also a XR7 with power winder. The XR-2s is incredibly similar to the KX...

Twin Sons of Different Mothers...

Both mounted to 200mm lenses!

And the winders attached...

...a token Pentax also in the photo...

Steve

(...prefers either of the Ricohs to the Super Program...)
03-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The XR2 has been on my buy list for some time... and *ahem* there's a review posted by someone via this site:
Ricoh XR-2 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Additionally, the lenses that came with the XR2 were in fact Pentax K lenses (except the 200 which was a Pentax M)
03-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
the lenses that came with the XR2 were in fact Pentax K lenses (except the 200 which was a Pentax M)
Please share your documentation that supports this claim.

Chris
03-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Chris, some day I will, I don't seem to have scanned the pages! The info is from 1978 photo mags, from both a review of the XR lenses and a Keppler article.

Note that soon after the initial lenses, Ricoh changed their sourcing.

03-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here is something - this is still inconclusive, and is not the articles I mention - but interesting nevertheless...

XR Rikenon 50mm 35mm 200mm lens test 1979
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Chris, some day I will, I don't seem to have scanned the pages! The info is from 1978 photo mags, from both a review of the XR lenses and a Keppler article.

Note that soon after the initial lenses, Ricoh changed their sourcing.
Pentax-M 28/3.5 = XR Rikenon 28/3.5
Twins separated at birth!

Steve

(...I think the M 200 as well...)
03-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Who made who?

I have heard this claim several times before, but I'm not buying.
I have owned many of the more common Rikenon lenses as well as their Pentax equivalents.
Some models appeared similar, but none enough to say "same lens, different cosmetics" with any certainty.
That said the SMC Pentax-M 28/3.5 and XR Rikenon 28/3.5 lenses are indeed eerily similar.

For the admittedly small audience that might be interested, for years I have recommended
the XR Rikenon/Rikenon P 35/2.8 lenses over the Pentax M and A 35/2.8 lenses.
I have owned several samples of each and the Ricoh models do not suffer a sticky diaphragm
at anywhere near the same rate as the very similar yet problematic Pentax design.

I suppose a complete teardown and parts comparison by brand might help settle matters.
I'm very good at taking things apart (though often a bit more challenged at reassembling them).
Does anyone want to offer up some lenses in the name of research?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-28-2012 at 06:17 PM.
03-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Chris - I think part of the problem is that a "Rikenon XR" may have been sourced from several manufacturers over time, so unless one develops a connoiseur's eye for ebay listings, one's buying a lotto ticket

I will get this scanned and uploaded over the weekend, I hope, but here is authoritative evidence that at least the first series of Ricoh K mount lenses were in fact made by Asahi:

QuoteQuote:
...Ricoh has taken the sensible and unprecedented decision of adopting someone else's bayonet mount for its XR series cameras. In fact, not only has Ricoh chosen the Pentax bayonet mount, but also it's an open secret that Asahi Optical Co. is currently producing the entire series of XR Rikenon lenses! This "competitor's alliance" has advantages for everybody, including the camera-buying public. Ricoh gets a well-made series of lenses in an up-to-date bayonet mount; Asahi gains financially while enhancing the image and marketing potential of its mount, cameras, and lenses; independent lens makers have one less mount to worry about (and are encouraged to offer their optics in Pentax bayonet mount); and Pentax and Ricoh users wind up with a wider selection of lenses and camera bodies. As you can see from the photographs on page 136, the Pentax and Ricoh lenses are physically almost identical, but the latter don't appear to be multicoated on all optical surfaces.
Modern Photography, March 1978, Volume 42, No. 3, page 132, Modern Tests Ricoh's XR-2: A happy medium SLR.

QuoteQuote:
The bayonet mount system isn't the only similarity the XR Rikenon lenses have to Pentax. From our test samples, we surmised that optically these are indeed our old friends, the Pentax lenses. But all, except the 200mm, are the older, "pre-compact" versions. The 200mm f/4 is identical to the 200mm f/4 Pentax-M lens.
ibid, page 135, "Accessory Rikenon XR Optics"
03-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Jussi...So that blanket listing would include the normal lenses as well?

The reason I ask is that while there are obvious similarities with some of the lenses, the build of my two XR Rikenon 50/2 is not up to Pentax standard for the time (late 1970s). There is also the size difference. The Pentax-M 50/2 is a much smaller lens and the Pentax-K 55/2, while similar in size, is a different focal length. I always figured that the Ricoh normal lenses of the time were sourced from Cosina or Tamron. (At the time both companies were widely involved in providing lenses sold under a number of major brands. At one time, I think that Keppler speculated that MOST of the third party lenses and many of camera maker lenses were made by one of those two firms.)

Now the XR Rikenon 55/1.2 on the other hand...now we would not want to start rumors, would we? (Watch the price of that lens go up after this series of posts!!!)

Steve
03-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

To get back to the subject of the original post, I think it would be interesting/useful to have a section for 3rd party K mount cameras. I have been avoiding buying any of them as I have too many film cameras already, but it wouldn't stop me being interested in reading about them.

Cheers, Kris.
03-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Steve, there is no blanket possible - see the 1989 Pop Photo tests where the 50/1.4 was definitely NOT Asahi made. Also, I'd rule out any lens that wasn't also available as a Pentax, so no 55/1.2 Asahi. I've also seen speculation that some Rikenons were from whoever made Sigma. And the sure-to-inflate-prices Tomioika....

The third party K camera review section would be fun, especially now that Ricoh is part of the family. But does the domino theory come into play, as aren't the M42 cameras next