Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Hey Todd good to see you, I'll just pipe in with the try an LX (Think Nikon F2 or 3 but more compact and solid as a rock.) they really are my favourite from the film era (I haven't tried the MZ-S yet though but I have been tempted a few times)

My most sincere wish is that the first FF digital is an update on the LX actually
HI Eddie. My buddy has a couple of them, so I've played around with them. Great camera, but I'll need to try with a winder attached, which he doesn't have.

03-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO if you are careful about your purchase price your money risk is pretty small if you decide you don't like it. Same with an LX. Obv if you buy from a premier Used seller like KEH, then sell here you might be at risk for 15% of the purchase price. I've never had an MZ-S - so I haven't commented until now - but I have an LX w/ grip and drive. The feel is uniquely pleasureable - unique being the key comcept. It doesn't feel like anything but an LX.
Good point, and I may end up just buying one with that in mind. Maybe I should also try to find a good winder for the LX. I could try it with my friend's LX, and if I decided to go another route sell the winder. Maybe to him, LOL.
03-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, reading this thread makes me wish I had my MZ-S still. With grip, it was a joy in the hand.
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love my MZ-S. I also love my K5. It's hard to choose, but I think the MZ-S is more...elegant.

03-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I keep drooling over the MZ-S... Maybe as a graduation present to my self this summer (assuming I can get some paid work upon completion of my degree!)..

My AF 35mil camera is a MZ-7 (ZX-7 in the US I believe...) it's great and all but nowhere near the weapon-like build quality (or elegance) of the MZ-S!
03-31-2012, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

It doesn't get much better than a gripped mz-s and a FA limited. A joy to use and iq in spades.
04-01-2012, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got an MZ-S recently and immediately fell in love with it over/along with my K5. I must admit, I was on the fence for years. Now I wish I had bought it sooner. I think the MZ-S got caught in the MZ-D fiasco and the transition to digital. In a nutshell - the MZ-S is sublime as a film camera. Fitting as the last serious film (35mm) camera Pentax made.

04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a Nikon F6 as my main camera, but have drooled over the MZ-S many times before!

Nothing really beats the solid ergonomic brick-like quality of the Nikon, but I do really like Pentax's control ergonomics. Hyper-manual is my ideal mode, and the lack of the 'green' button on the F6 makes it seem a bit dated (though not that any of the newer nikons or canons have this feature).

I also recommend the Nikon LX and Winder, which has a very nice chunky and solid feel to it.

D
04-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, well I just pulled the trigger. I guess I knew I would, LOL. Pretty soon I may have a PZ-1 or an MZ-S up for sale.
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Duncan J Murray Quote
solid ergonomic brick-like
haha, isn't that a bit of a contradiction in terms? I've never cared for nikons design philosophy. I have had several nikon F's and they all felt clunky, big and unnecessarily brutish. give me the simplicity of a Pentax any day.
04-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I've never cared for nikons design philosophy. I have had several nikon F's and they all felt clunky, big and unnecessarily brutish
I can tell by the scrunched-up cramped appearance of your hands while shooting, in your avatar.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
haha, isn't that a bit of a contradiction in terms?
Hey now, bricks can be quite ergonomic, in the proper context.
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I can tell by the scrunched-up cramped appearance of your hands while shooting, in your avatar.

Hey now, bricks can be quite ergonomic, in the proper context.
haha, thats from a movie (An Education), its not me. I have smaller, girly hands. I agree though, they can be. I'm just not sure a camera is one those. we do have the K-01 though...
04-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have larger-than average-sized hands, so find that generally the larger grips seem to fit it better. If you've never handled an F100, I'd recommend it - there isn't a camera that feels better in the hand, apart from the F5 and F6. Ergonomic brick is the best way to describe it I think.

D
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duncan J Murray Quote
If you've never handled an F100, I'd recommend it - there isn't a camera that feels better in the hand, apart from the F5 and F6.
It's all personal preference, of course, but I'd have to agree. I hadn't picked up my F100 in a long time when a friend came over recently to let me use his PZ-1p. After using his camera for a while, I was very impressed. I even told him it felt pretty much as good as the F100. But I only had to pick up the F100 again to realize how wrong I was.

Not to knock Pentax bodies at all. I do a lot of shooting with Pentax gear these days, and very happily. They are different companies with different design philosophies, and there are all sorts of different priorities among end-users. But Nikon hits my sweet spot ergonomically speaking.

I mostly just feel sorry for Canon users.
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I mostly just feel sorry for Canon users.
so do canon users.