Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Z1 Aperture control wheel

Hi,

I just bought a Z1 and found that the aperture control wheel isn't functioning. It sometimes clicks when rolled (though not in the way the shutter control wheel does) and sometimes is silent. It isn't controlling any functions at all.

Seller, who is a genuine guy and didn't know there was a problem, has offered to take the camera back or give a partial refund if I keep it. My question is, is this something easily repaired, or should I return the camera?

03-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Mark the Z1 is an excellent camera. Sells for around $ 60 to 100 on eBay with a basic zoom lens - depending upon the condition. The repair + shipping could cost as much. In my judgement I would return the camera and look out for another good piece.
I saw your post in the PDML too. Regards.
Bipin - from a far away enchanting land.
04-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Bipin, greetings from a far and declining land!

thanks for your input, I did notice something encouraging today; if I keep turning the wheel clockwise, it will change the aperture setting eventually. I managed to take it from F4.5 to F32 by rolling and rolling and rolling the wheel. Rolling it anticlockwise still seems ineffective, but switching it on and off returns it to the maximum aperture the lens allows. So, I could use the camera in all of its exposure modes,using the lens ring for aperture priority and manual, and maybe set the Pentax functions that rely on the wheel laboriously.

I'm wondering whether this suggests an easy repair. Maybe there's a screw in the middle of the wheel holding it in place and this screw is loose, so rolling it anticlockwise is loosening it further, but clockwise tightening it a bit. I'd really like to get the top cover off and have a look, but, in fairness to the seller, I'd have to commit to the camera first.

Mark

Last edited by mzsaunders; 04-02-2012 at 01:37 AM.
04-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
As an update to above, there's a Z1 on Ebay with the usual mirror and flash problems, being sold for spares or repair. I understand that the top plate comes off the Z1 without the need to cut any wires. Presumably, there's a chunk of the camera's workings in the top plate that come off with it, so could I solve my Z1s problems by simply swapping my top plate for a good one? I understand I'll be swapping-in a flash problem, but I will have parts to fix that too, should I wish.

04-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Brilliant idea Mark. Love your spirit. Go ahead buddy and remove the top. I am a DIY chap too. You will need some tools, mostly jewellers, to get the knobs, winder etc off from the top plate - most difficult part. Also squirt some WD40 on to the e-wheel - I have done it, so don't be afraid. Keep taking snaps all the way through so that you can put it back right. You will see some fragile wiring under the top plate, much deteriorated with age. So be careful fella. Many of these have etched contacts on fragile flexible plastic and they snap easily. Try Buktus for a Service manual. And LOTS OF GOOD LUCK. Post back your success story.
04-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
well, I got the top plate off - it should only require a miniature Phillips screwdriver, but I had to take the drill to one badly corroded screw. The problem with the wheel not clicking was simply a loose screw, as I had surmised. I fixed that easily enough, however, it's still not functioning. I think the 'brush' contacts that act on the wheel are out of whack. I can try to bend them into position, but I don't know how they should look. If anyone has a photo of these that I can compare with mine it would be handy.

These was some corrosion to the terminals for the front wheel and some of the screws were corroded, including some inside, so suspect the camera had got damp in storage at some time. Seller gave me a generous discount in view of the fault.

Pictures here

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishuk/share/p=568221335118305646/l=659437100...=SYE/otsi=SABE

Last edited by mzsaunders; 04-22-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo