Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #16

does anyone have a template for it? i have leather here that i want to use...

also, what should be the maximum thickness of the leather? thanks!

02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ponggo Quote
does anyone have a template for it? i have leather here that i want to use...

also, what should be the maximum thickness of the leather? thanks!
Well, the real issue about thickness is the edges: if your leather is too thick to sit flush, you can sort of bevel away some material around the edges so that they'll lie down at the right height. This takes a little skill to do by hand, but you can use something like a straight-razor window-scraper with a fresh blade on there, Some leathers will be easier to work in this way than others.
02-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Originally posted by DaveHolmes Quote Should have the first two back next week... will post pictures when I get them back... they're in here...
Sweet looking bodies. I like the ME Super. Much more daring that I would go, but I can't stop looking at it. Let us know what sort street reaction you get.
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
Sweet looking bodies. I like the ME Super. Much more daring that I would go, but I can't stop looking at it. Let us know what sort street reaction you get.
I actually sold the Orange ME super a while back yo help fund the move from K-x to K5... But it went down really well in general... Still have the purple MG and a brown MX as well as a spottie in a really nice cream coloured leather...
Currently looking for a good K1000 at a decent price to wrap up in a bright-blue... Unfortunately K1000 prices have skyrocketed here in the UK...

02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I actually sold the Orange ME super a while back yo help fund the move from K-x to K5... But it went down really well in general... Still have the purple MG and a brown MX as well as a spottie in a really nice cream coloured leather...
Currently looking for a good K1000 at a decent price to wrap up in a bright-blue... Unfortunately K1000 prices have skyrocketed here in the UK...
anyone have a template for the k1000? or kx? so that i can give it to the leather cutter... to get a nice cut?
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, sorry for doing this, but I'm going to use your thread to answer some of my own questions.
I have been looking for online shops where I could purchase some snake skins for my Spotmatics and MX. However, Aki Asahi haven't responded to my mail, Camera Leather do not send exotic leathers outside the US and Micro Tools have a kinda limited offering. So where can I find some leather kits that look along the lines of this?
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
However, Aki Asahi haven't responded to my mail...
Well, that is a shame. Aki Asahi's kits are first rate and those that look like snake or lizard are actually nicely finished embossed cowhide so there should be no problem shipping internationally. Why don't you just order using their Web site. That should work, unless you need a material that is not listed on their order form at the bottom of the page.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/sp/index.php

Steve

(...I dressed mine in burgundy faux lizard...thickness is perfect...)

02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I had inquired about the MX leather kit actually, which they (or he?) listed as "out of order". And that's really bad, because my girlfriend also wanted a new kit for her camera.
And this would be the second bad news for her, after that Korean ever-ready case for the MX dissapeared from ebay.
02-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Yes, I had inquired about the MX leather kit actually, which they (or he?) listed as "out of order". And that's really bad, because my girlfriend also wanted a new kit for her camera.
And this would be the second bad news for her, after that Korean ever-ready case for the MX dissapeared from ebay.
Yep...they no longer make the MX kit. One has to wonder why. After all, they support all manner of odd stuff. I have been tempted to buy their Zorki 4K kit. (The cover on mine is in excellent shape, but is oh, so slippery.)

Steve
02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If you want nice leather, get it from your local auto breakers. The backs of leather seats gives you a nice big piece, and the backs are generally thinner ( it's cheaper ) than the front surfaces where your butt goes. Always ask before hacking the back out of a Lexus seat, if it's a good seat they want to sell it complete.
The other good source is leather coats from charity / thrift shops.

I have thinned the edges with sandpaper, obviously on the back. If you are working with thick leather, 3mm and above, then holding the leather edge gently against a grinding wheel will shape it, and 'seal' the edge with the heat. Obviously this could be considered a huge breach of health and safety, so be bloody careful!
02-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
The other good source is leather coats from charity / thrift shops.
Purses and women's handbags! The thickness is right and there is an enormous variety of textures, colors, and leathers.

Steve
02-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Purses and women's handbags! The thickness is right and there is an enormous variety of textures, colors, and leathers.
Steve
Great lateral thinking Steve, I would never have though of that.

I wonder how my wife will react when she finds an MX sized hole in her favourite
handbag
02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Great lateral thinking Steve, I would never have though of that.

I wonder how my wife will react when she finds an MX sized hole in her favourite
handbag
Not original with me. I seem to remember a thread (possibly on the rangfinder forum) where people were discussing sources for unusual or exotic leathers.

Steve
02-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
Those are nice looking cameras - COLORFUL
I know CameraLeather products fit very well, and easy to apply using their directions.
I use Morgan's kit as well. My Lx were done from his kits. Also I had sent in the Lx motor drive and battery Lx, now he has the patterns.
02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 48548 Quote
I use Morgan's kit as well. My Lx were done from his kits. Also I had sent in the Lx motor drive and battery Lx, now he has the patterns.
The only problem with Morgan is getting him to respond to a product request. I waited for almost a month for a response regarding kits for my Yashica Lynx 5000 and Lynx 1000. I never did get a definite answer as to whether they could do a kit for the 1000.

Steve