Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Templates of Leather Covering Pieces?

Ordered some self-adheisive un-cut leatherette from ebay... Plan on re-covering a few of my 35mm SLRs

Going to do a test run test on a broken MEsuper... (and if it looks pretty am gonna fork out for repair... )

I shall be following the directions from cameraleather.com but without their ready-cut 'kit' - and at a vastly reduced price (£10 has got me enough material for 5/6 SLR's )

Is there anywhere I can get templates for cutting the leatherette parts for the following cameras?

MEsuper
MG
Honeywell Spotmatic
MX (which really needs CLAd...)
K1000
K2

If not I'll have to cut them freehand... Which is fine... But having a cutting guide would be helpful...

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 04-02-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: I can't write sentences today!
04-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you signed on to do em freehand, get a sharp scalpel blade and and fit them to the body. If it's leatherette it should be straightforward without much worry about sizing or shrinking. (If it's real leather, that's a different story,) Adhere the stuff to the backmost part of the camera first, then shape it as you go and be patient. Every time you bend the stuff, stop and wait for the adhesive to set.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-02-2012 at 06:23 PM.
04-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*then* apply contact adhesive as per instructions
The stuff I've bought is leatherette, and is self-adhesive like the cameraleather.com kits... I was going to use their 'wet' method - which uses a 'no-moisturiser' 'alcohol-based' hand sanitizer...

I've stripped the MEsuper test bunny and got all the gunk off it... If I can't get hold of any templates before the new skin arrives I was going to cut to size before I remove the adhesive blocking film... Do you mean (slightly) wet the top side of the leatherette while the 'block' is on to make it more pliable for cutting?

Sorry... I might be being thick...
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
The stuff I've bought is leatherette, and is self-adhesive like the cameraleather.com kits... I was going to use their 'wet' method - which uses a 'no-moisturiser' 'alcohol-based' hand sanitizer...

I've stripped the MEsuper test bunny and got all the gunk off it... If I can't get hold of any templates before the new skin arrives I was going to cut to size before I remove the adhesive blocking film... Do you mean (slightly) wet the top side of the leatherette while the 'block' is on to make it more pliable for cutting?

Sorry... I might be being thick...

I'd edited, your headline said 'leather,' and your question said 'leatherette'. Leatherette is artificial and dimensionally-stable. It's stiff naugahyde. It will look like a fabric weave (or a plastickey felt) on the back. Leather will look like the back of leather and smell like something that was once alive and has been tanned and dyed. There are big differences in how to handle these, right?

There's a big difference how to handle these things:if you moisten leatherette, all you have is wet plastic that won't stick to anything. The upside is that if you cut it to fit, it will stay that way.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah.. It's leatherette... I had looked for Leather but all ebay wanted to show me was handbags!!
04-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah.. It's leatherette... I had looked for Leather but all ebay wanted to show me was handbags!!

Well, that's easier, then. Cut it to fit the flattest surface on any given camera: let it adhere there and then stretch it as gently as possible. You will want it tight, but it won't stretch far. Not at all, fractions of a 1/16 inch. Do one bend at a time. Be patient. It'll stay.

(the point of the alcohol is that it will evaporate quickly, but let you place the material, see? Choose an area where you want it to stick and apply little to none there. )

I do recommend a scalpel blade for this, btw, *fussfussfuss through stuff.* I'm not sure, but it may be an Exacto #5 that's the easiest way to get that. But find the scalpelley looking one.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

I did the same thing on a couple of cameras. I was lucky and the old covering came off pretty easily and used it as the template. I had to do very minor trimming after that. Fit with the backing on, then go for it. Just take it slow & easy.

04-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lewis44 Quote
I was lucky and the old covering came off pretty easily and used it as the template
I didn't even think of that... Now I feel like a fool...
I shall strip the cameras more carefully and use the old skins as templates... Luckily I have a second MEsuper (or I could just skip the broken one!) and can use its original skin...

Thanks lewis44!
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Forum Member

I didn't even think of that... Now I feel like a fool...
I shall strip the cameras more carefully and use the old skins as templates... Luckily I have a second MEsuper (or I could just skip the broken one!) and can use its original skin...

Thanks lewis44!
Don't feel bad. I've done this quite a few times.
If you are lucky, you will have enough stick-um on the old covering that it will stay in place on the new material. Also, when you peel the back of the new stuff off, use the wax like paper on the old material on the sticky side. If you need to do it on another camera of the same make, you will still be able to use it.

Also, when the old stuff is pulled off, it may stretch a little, so check the fit of the new piece with the backing on.

Good Luck.
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It arrived and was not self-adhesive at all...
So... I went for it with muchos gustos and some super-glue... ON MY WORKING ME_SUPER!!... DOH!

Disaster ensued...

I've found and contacted a local chap who apparently does a fine job of recovering... Hopefully he can rectify my absolubte f**k-up of a job... Hopefully hear from him soon...
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Forum Member

Dave,
CameraLeather.com & Micro-Tools.com both sell Covering sheets and both are pre glued.
04-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It arrived and was not self-adhesive at all...
So... I went for it with muchos gustos and some super-glue... ON MY WORKING ME_SUPER!!... DOH!

Disaster ensued...

I've found and contacted a local chap who apparently does a fine job of recovering... Hopefully he can rectify my absolubte f**k-up of a job... Hopefully hear from him soon...
Not super glue!!! Never let that stuff near a camera! It will haze the plastic optical parts!!!

Steve

(...knows from experience...)
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update:

I found a local guy who normally only does work on Olympus cameras... He's re-covering both my MEsuper (in orange Leather) and my MG (in purple Leather) and also replacing the light-seals for a very reasonable rate...
I have an MX on the way and he's looking for some bright-blue Leather for that as well...
Should have the first two back next week... will post pictures when I get them back...
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should have the first two back next week... will post pictures when I get them back...
they're in here...
04-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Those are nice looking cameras - COLORFUL
I know CameraLeather products fit very well, and easy to apply using their directions.