Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My camera tools reccomendations.

I though someone may get some use out of my suggestions for camera and lens tools I've used so far.

3 spanner wrench set, after using these I can't imagine any camera job they couldn't do perfectly, not cheap quality at all, very strong and solid. Any one of these 3 would be inadequate, together they are great. Bits flip around to fit inside diameter of lenses too.
Spanner Wrench Set 3 Piece Economy

JIS screw driver set, for all the NOT Phillips screws on lenses and cameras. The bits occasionally fall out of the screwdriver (you twist the metal thing to lock them in) but they work perfect otherwise and seem to be of good quality, the wide plastic handle allows for better control of torque on tiny screws. Used this along with the worlds tiniest flat blade screw driver that I filed slightly narrower with a knife sharpener to rebuild my Pentax SMC-A 50mm 1.4 lens and take various parts off my Super Program camera.
Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Plastic Handle

Not a tool but these are exactly perfect for the little check ball used in 2 places on the Super Program camera (and maybe others) Its nice that they come in 5 packs because the little F'ing things are amazing escape artists, I actually dropped the new one twice trying to get in in (to replace the original I lost). While laying on the floor over a piece of foam and it still took a huge magnet to find it both times. Nice thing was I discovered that will magnetize the ball allowing you to hang it from a screwdriver which makes it super easy to get into the little hole near the shutter button.
Micro-Tools Product Search Results

04-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's great that you can buy those little balls - I had no idea. I wonder if they are also the same as the ones used in the A lenses for the aperture-ring detents.
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you sort out the gibberish that is the Super Program parts manual you can see that in the description it says 1.5mm so I just went to look for 1.5mm ball bearings since its the right hardness and very uniform size then.
For at least this lens: http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/smca5017.pdf (Password=Pentax) the size is also 1.5mm (between X503 and X36) so those would work and Pentax likely stuck to using that size for everything so I'm sure its the same for all.
06-18-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have seen several references to JIS screwdrivers, but having had a look at them on eBay (and winced at the prices), being a Bear of Little Brain, I cannot see any difference between them and the 'Phillips' head set I already have. Could some kind soul take pity on an aged Pentax enjoyer, and point me to a reference that explains this ? Many thanks.

06-18-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A scrap PC disc drive has lots of bits for salvage...
06-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have seen several references to JIS screwdrivers, but having had a look at them on eBay (and winced at the prices), being a Bear of Little Brain, I cannot see any difference between them and the 'Phillips' head set I already have. Could some kind soul take pity on an aged Pentax enjoyer, and point me to a reference that explains this ? Many thanks.
If you use a Phillips bit on a JIS screw, there's a good chance of ruining the screw head. I think Phillips bits a pointier so they don't properly fit into a JIS screw head.

I bought one of these recently for a myriad of small-item repairs and it has come in handy multiple times already.

Pro Tech Toolkit - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&
06-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That is correct. JIS screws need JIS driver. The depth of the hole is different leading to different angle and the stripping effect.

JIS drivers are rare, so sell at low quantity premium price, and are hard to find.

06-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
The point angles are different between the Phillips and JIS standards. The Phillips tips are actually designed to 'climb out' of the screw head under high torque situations to prevent 'over-torquing'. Using them on JIS screws can lead to stripping of the shoulders on the screw making them very difficult to remove even with the correct JIS screwdriver.
06-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thank you all for the info - I have no intention of undertaking any repairs or adjustments which need JIS drivers, I was just curious (some might even say peculiar).
06-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember when disassembling a camera be sure to label which screws go where.
Most cameras use several different types of screws, often very similar in appearance.

Chris
06-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
dmr

Lots of old film canisters to store screws and little whatzits in reverse order of disassembly.

Hemostats (surgical clamps).

Dental explorers (those little picks).
06-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That is correct. JIS screws need JIS driver. The depth of the hole is different leading to different angle and the stripping effect.

JIS drivers are rare, so sell at low quantity premium price, and are hard to find.
Bike stores ( at least decent ones that also sell tools ) are actually one common place where you can get JIS drivers, since the most popular drivetrain component manufacturer, Shimano, uses JIS derailleur adjustment screws.

- Rich
06-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would never have thought of that as a source for the micro screws in my lenses.

BTW, I got my JIS drivers through an Amazon seller.
06-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Micro-Tools is the best one stop source for most specialized camera repair tools and other supplies.

https://www.micro-tools.com/

You may find cheaper elsewhere, but no seller comes close to Micro-Tools for quality and selection.

Chris