Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What camera is this?

Hey guys I saw this at craigslist and I was just wondering what camera it is before I take a look at it in person.

I asked the seller "Hi, I just want to know what camera it is, and it is in working condition I believe?" this is what s/he said. "If you are willing to pay that amount then I can pass on the information you requested. This is an almost mint condition camera worth much more than I am asking."

I guess I'm not allowed to know what camera it is unless I'm willing to pay. But why would I be willing to pay for something that I don't even know....

I thinkg it is the https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-program-program-plus.html please correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by kaiserz; 04-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Banned

Pentax Program Plus with smc pentax-a 50mm 1.7
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The coolest looking camera Pentax made IMHO Methinks the K-01 in black and silver took a little bit of inspiration from this.
04-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
"If you are willing to pay that amount then I can pass on the information you requested."
This is not a person I would give my business to. In my experience, people like this are invariably lazy, or hiding something.

04-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys (:! Well, I'm going to bite. I will meet with him/her tonight. I'm excited this is going to be my first film camera !!

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This is not a person I would give my business to. In my experience, people like this are invariably lazy, or hiding something.
Yes sir, I agree, I was really turned off by his/her answer. I was like "REALLY?" I even wanted to be an ass email something smart and just ditch the camera and find something else. But I guess I really wanted to get my hands on that
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
coolest looking camera
hehehe
04-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you haven't already made the deal, I suggest you make sure you test whether the aperture ring on the lens turns freely. The A50/1.7 has a tendency to problems in that regard, because of some plastic that goes brittle inside. If this one has the problem, it will grate and stick at certain apertures, or only want to turn in one direction and not the other.
04-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
If you haven't already made the deal, I suggest you make sure you test whether the aperture ring on the lens turns freely. The A50/1.7 has a tendency to problems in that regard, because of some plastic that goes brittle inside.
Thanks for the tip (: I will make sure to check the aperture ring. Is there anything else that I need to look for?

04-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Thanks for the tip (: I will make sure to check the aperture ring. Is there anything else that I need to look for?
well, there is the fact that the camera may not work properly. just because it 'looks mint' doesn't mean it actually functions as it should. personally i wouldn't buy a camera with this kind of deal without being able to first test it with film, and make sure everything functions as it should. the camera is going on 30 years old, and it could need a CLA before being properly useable. that will come at an extra cost to you, should it need it.
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First thing that comment brought to mind was, "You have to pass the bill to see what's in the bill." Or like buying a car:

Gimme the keys.
You have to talk to my Senior Salesman.
Gimme the keys
You have to talk to the Sales manager
Gimme the keys
You have to talk to the Finance Manager
Gimme the keys
You have to talk to the Service Department about your trade in
Gimme the keys
You have to talk about the Used Department Manager about your trade in
Gimme my keys back
I'm sorry sir, your trade in is already being serviced for resale
Gimme the keys
You have to talk to my Senior Salesman

Last edited by monochrome; 04-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.
04-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Completely scrapped this post as I misread something.
If its anything like my Super Program, CLA is not necessary. It still snaps away despite many years of use and an embarrassing amount of dirt, rust and aluminum oxide. This is from the era when the Japanese gave us such things as the Nintendo which can survive decades and being punted across a room (ask me how I know).
Lens alone is worth $50-100. I'd be curious to see what you get it for.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went for it guys! And here he is

Lens I used for this shot was the A 50 1.7 which I think is in a very good condition. It's pretty much brand new. Camera is in an awesome condition and I think is working fine. I got myself some ISO 200 film at walmart and also some batteries and was shooting with the camera earlier. The deal also had a bag, an AF200T pentax flash, manual, catalogs, cable release, case and this vivitar XC-A thing and some cables that I have no idea what for.

Anyway I think I had an awesome deal because I just pretty much payed for the lens and got some free stuff hehehehe

And ohh what does CLA means?
04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

True, if the lens is in good shape, then it's worth more than the camera. And if your Program Plus is also in good shape as it seems, then maybe this is a good day for you. I hope it all works out.

CLA means "Clean, Lube, Adjust" -- standard terminology for the maintenance procedure that most cameras need eventually. But if the light seals and mirror bumper foam happen to be in good shape, and if the camera has been "exercised" now and then through its life, you might get lucky and not need service on this one. Just go out and use it, have fun.
04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
This is from the era when the Japanese gave us such things as the Nintendo which can survive decades and being punted across a room (ask me how I know).
Ok, I'll bite, considering the OP seems to be happy with their purchase. How exactly do you know the Nintendo can survive the punting?
04-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I have a very short temper when it comes to arcade style, designed to steal your money, games.
I discovered that If you kick it hard enough it will unplug itself in mid air before sailing across the room. Eventually this will jerk the A/V leads off the circuit board but that's easily solved with some soldering though you have to bend a metal panel back to gain access after the main plastic cover is off. I should mention it still works perfectly. If you ever wanted something to be indestructible, just base its design on one of the original Nintendo controllers, I'm reasonably convinced it would take divine intervention to actually put one out of service as I've tried everything else in a blind rage.

And nice buy on the camera. Also that's a nifty particle accelerator you seem to have somehow attached to it.
04-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ohh CLA ic ic (: that's a new word for me. Thanks. So far I'm very happy with the camera I just don't know if it has any leaks and stuff like that but I'll find out when I get the film developed. Also where's a good place to hace this developed? the only palce I know is walgreens.

Particle accelerator hehehe (: