Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although Pentax also pioneered aperture priority with the release of the ES in 1971, Minolta released their pro XK model which had aperture priority in 1972 to compete with the Canon F1 and Nikon F2 - neither of which had aperture priority. Like the LX, the Minolta XK was also Minolta's only replaceable viewfinder camera body. It took awhile for Canon (New F-1), Nikon (F3) and Pentax (LX) to release their autoexposure pro bodies. You can check it out at http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/minoltaxk/index.htm

04-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

This thread has persuaded me to get one of my Super Programs out, I think it is probably the most stylish manual focus SLR Pentax made. The LX, whilst being the heavy duty pro camera, loses some of its versatility today because many of the options are hard to find and/or (mostly and) expensive. The non-standard interchangeable finders are very hard to find and usually very expensive. The motor drives are hard to find and expensive (and the NiCd battery packs probably need replacement), the winders are expensive (but probably the best motorised option). I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be expensive, but unless you can find enough accessories, you lose a lot of the added versatility.

One LX feature I don't think has been mentioned, is the full size mirror. I seem to remember if you add a very long lens to a Super Program, you get a shadow across the top 1/6 or so of the finder, and I think this was due to the mrror.
04-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Yeah everytime I use the LX, I find yet another feature that it can do that no other film camera can and that is the ability to meter even with the mirror locked up. I prefer to have the MLU to minimize vibration when I am shooting greater then 1:1 magnification using my bellows and this ability allows me to check meter readings without having to disengage MLU to do it.
04-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
This thread has persuaded me to get one of my Super Programs out,
I think it is probably the most stylish manual focus SLR Pentax made.
Starting in the late 1970's several camera manufacturers began employing famous industrial designers.
But to call their designs or any Pentax model SLR stylish is a real stretch in my opinion.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.
04-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Starting in the late 1970's several camera manufacturers began employing famous industrial designers.
But to call their designs or any Pentax model SLR stylish is a real stretch in my opinion.

Chris
Style (or lack, thereof) is all relative in the camera world. Even ugly is often hard to define. For example, there seem to be no shortage of these in some parts of the world:

Over 1.5 million sold (FED-5s for everybody!!!)

...and this one, while somewhat iconic in the FSU, usually draws mixed reactions:

See original source page at Kiev 10 at sovietcams.com. It is all a matter of taste and as we all know...THERE IS NO ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE!

Steve
04-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The LX, whilst being the heavy duty pro camera, loses some of its versatility today because many of the options are hard to find and/or (mostly and) expensive. The non-standard interchangeable finders are very hard to find and usually very expensive. The motor drives are hard to find and expensive (and the NiCd battery packs probably need replacement), the winders are expensive (but probably the best motorised option). I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be expensive, but unless you can find enough accessories, you lose a lot of the added versatility.
I bought my LX way back when the model was introduced, and not for all the optional features, but for its solid, precise construction and "feel" when using it. In fact, I bought NO acessories for it (except lenses) until last year (and then as "collectables"). I'll bet most LX buyers also ignored the accessories.
I've had cameras with great image quality that just felt cheap, so using them was a pain.
04-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
Pentaxian

They sure look stylish Steve!

The Pentax LX simply looked elegant compared to all the other metered interchangeable viewfinders of the era. In fact it doesn't even seem it could have had an interchangeable viewfinder by comparison.

04-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I'll bet most LX buyers also ignored the accessories.
I suppose you could count me in that group. I bought my LX used and it came with 3 finders, a grip, and a focusing screen. The only thing I've done to it was swap out the hot shoe prism for the plain one. I like the LX for it's feel. I really don't care about all the accessories.
04-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LX FB-1 with FC-1 action finder is a really useful accessory.
There's nothing like it for any other Pentax model before or since.

Chris
04-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The LX FB-1 with FC-1 action finder is a really useful accessory.
There's nothing like it for any other Pentax model before or since.

Chris
My friend owns an LX and has huge problems with eye relief due to his glasses. The LX FB-1/FC-1 combo is the only way he can shoot a 35mm slr and see the whole frame. I like it...it's like a tiny rear projection TV in there, and n WLF view it's astounding as well. I just wish I had the cash to pony up for the combo.

Additionally, it does make the LX a little hard to carry, and makes shooting with a strobe difficult as you'll have to use a flash bracket or a "potato masher" flashgun like the AF400T.
04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed, in any position the LX FB-1 with FC-1 provides a high-eyepoint magnified unreversed image with all viewfinder exposure information.

I also own the LX FF-1 waist level finder. Its tiny reversed image is practically unusable.

Chris
04-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, in any position the LX FB-1 with FC-1 provides a high-eyepoint magnified unreversed image with all viewfinder exposure information.

I also own the LX FF-1 waist level finder. Its tiny reversed image is practically unusable.

Chris
I would go with "utterly unusable". Looks cute but it is less use than a chocolate teapot (at least you can eat a chocolate teapot!). I didn't set out to collect the full set of LX viewfinders but I find myself only an FD-2 short of having one. I even ended up with two FB-1/FC-1 viewfinders. I must get around to selling one of them...

K.
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
My friend owns an LX and has huge problems with eye relief due to his glasses. The LX FB-1/FC-1 combo is the only way he can shoot a 35mm slr and see the whole frame. I like it...it's like a tiny rear projection TV in there, and n WLF view it's astounding as well. I just wish I had the cash to pony up for the combo.

Additionally, it does make the LX a little hard to carry, and makes shooting with a strobe difficult as you'll have to use a flash bracket or a "potato masher" flashgun like the AF400T.
Given all my vision problems which I've posted about numerous times, the FB-1 / FC-1 works very well for me with and without glasses. I had had a plan to sell all my film camera bodies but the LX and a sentimental KX - but they keep coming in rather than going out.
04-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would that be VFBA? I have several of the finders, incuding the action finder but I haven't had much need to use them other than the FE-1. Maybe I should play more and actually see what they can do. The only issue I have is in finding a 4P-A flash cord so that I can still use flashes without a hotshoe. Very few used equipment dealers seem to know the difference between the four 4P cords. I have ended up with two "free" 4P-multi cords as the wrong item was shipped, but, the 4P-A remains elusive.

As for my original post in this thread, I received my MX and that is the best viewfinder I have ever seen. You really can shoot with both eyes open!!!!

Update: Finally found a 4P-A cord with a batch of other cables. Now doing happy Snoopy back-flips off my kennel.

Last edited by Chuckie; 11-18-2012 at 11:51 PM.
04-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I have been watching this thread.
I have owned both of these cameras...In Australia, the Super Program is known as the Super A.
I owned my Super A initially, then I "discovered" the LX, started of with a S/H one, then caught the LX "Disease", bought a brand new body, & subsequently went on a buying "rampage" over time....until I owned every item in the LX catalogue, including an "A" 50 1.2. Even had a Pentax 135/600 Zoom!
Then, I lost interest & sold everything!
I loved the LX, I loved the "feel" of it, it was like a swiss watch....beautifully made.
However, I believe the Super A is one of the most under rated Pentax Cameras ever.....I found it easier to use than the LX, & whilst for sure the LX had some special features that enabled it to do some things that maybe the Super A couldn't, for all general photography, I thought the Super A was great.
Cheers, Pickles.