Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right now I have one of mine set up with the FB-1 + FC-1 configuration. A little heavier than normal but an absolutely beautiful view. I use this for Macro work as well.

The wonderful thing about the LX is that the viewfinder is always very, very bright, no matter what your setup. I love the viewfinder!!

12-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #62
Site Supporter

I didn't love mine enough to keep it.
The Pentax LX isn't for everyone.

Chris
12-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I loved the FB-1 and FC-1 combination on my LX, but not enough to keep the camera. It was a little too high-maintenance for me. My K1000 just works, always.
12-22-2014, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to a heads-up from Les I now have the full set of LX viewfinders... although of late I have been getting to know my new K-3.

K.

12-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Thanks to a heads-up from Les I now have the full set of LX viewfinders... although of late I have been getting to know my new K-3.

K.
Happy to spend other people's money . . .
12-22-2014, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

I love the baby WLF on the LX...I should take a shot of it side by side with the one from my 6x7, haha. But unlike the 6x7, I couldn't live with only a WLF with the smaller format of the LX. Sure is fun to use on occasion though!
12-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I love the baby WLF on the LX...I should take a shot of it side by side with the one from my 6x7, haha. But unlike the 6x7, I couldn't live with only a WLF with the smaller format of the LX. Sure is fun to use on occasion though!
I have a Praktica FX3 for the same reason, the 35mm waist level finder is great fun.

BUT, the magnifier is a necessity for any kind of focussing.
12-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I have a Praktica FX3 for the same reason, the 35mm waist level finder is great fun.

BUT, the magnifier is a necessity for any kind of focussing.
For people coming only from eyelevel finders, I suppose it could be a disappointment when they first use a waist level finder. First you have to get used to lateral movement and then the tiny presentation might get you in the area but you have to use the magnifier in order to get critical focus. More like a chin level finder. Of course this is the case for any 35mm waist level finder unless I missed some significant development somewhere.

I also have a couple of medium format cameras and of course their view is considerably larger. However, I still have to rely on magnification in order to achieve critical focus.

12-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I also have a couple of medium format cameras and of course their view is considerably larger. However, I still have to rely on magnification in order to achieve critical focus.
Les, that Hasselblad isn't looking manly enough. Ditch that eye-level finder and get a beefier-looking lens. Just kidding. I've never had the opportunity to hold one of those prisms on a the Hassy. Does it lock down once you slide into place or is it held in much like the WLF?

12-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Les, that Hasselblad isn't looking manly enough. Ditch that eye-level finder and get a beefier-looking lens. Just kidding. I've never had the opportunity to hold one of those prisms on a the Hassy. Does it lock down once you slide into place or is it held in much like the WLF?

Maybe if I take pictures at the Manly Yacht Club . . .

Slides into place like the WL.
12-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Slides into place like the WL.
I mean, the prism looks like a big hunk of glass with considerable mass. The WLF slides in easy and feels like some spring loaded detents hold it in place. And if you take the back off the camera and tip the camera up the WLF will not slide out of place. But the WLF is extremely light. I'm suspecting the prism, on the other hand, would be heavy enough slide past those lightly pushing detents if you tip the camera up and the back is off. What's that like?
12-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I mean, the prism looks like a big hunk of glass with considerable mass. The WLF slides in easy and feels like some spring loaded detents hold it in place. And if you take the back off the camera and tip the camera up the WLF will not slide out of place. But the WLF is extremely light. I'm suspecting the prism, on the other hand, would be heavy enough slide past those lightly pushing detents if you tip the camera up and the back is off. What's that like?

On mine, the finders cannot be removed unless the back is first removed. That is mot the case with yours?
12-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #73
Pentaxian

On mine, the finders cannot be removed unless the back is first removed. That is mot the case with yours?
Yes. But when the back is off and you tilt the camera up ( as in my picture), does the prism slide out of its tracks with just the force of gravity? With the WLF that doesn't happen because of a mild friction lock. But is that friction lock enough to hold/stop the weight of the prism?
12-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I can't say I have considered that although I don't believe it slides out so freely. Funny but this was also a concern on the LX review. The reviewer believed one locking mechanism wasn't safe enough.
12-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I loved the FB-1 and FC-1 combination on my LX, but not enough to keep the camera. It was a little too high-maintenance for me. My K1000 just works, always.
Much as I adore my LX, I kind of have to agree with you about the K1000. My memory isn't perfect anymore but I just can't remember a day since I bought it in '84 that my K1000 hasn't worked the way it was supposed to. Though I would hope it doesn't happen soon, one day I'm sure I'll have to start selling off pieces of my collection. However, that camera is the one that will stay to the very end. That and the M50/2 that came with it.