Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my business intentionally doing that is called "Pump and Dump."
04-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my business intentionally doing that is called "Pump and Dump."
Seen it done many times here on Pentax Forums. We will get a user with a particular lens (say a Quasitar 28/2.8 in M42) who posts some sort of question about it along with a bunch of pretty good photos taken with such and maybe a couple of links to mflenses.com. There is often a flurry of comments. A few weeks later you see the lens posted for sale here and on every other forum marketplace on the Web.

...so, have we taken this thread far enough afield yet?

Steve

(...can anybody remember Horus Bennu? If it says "limited" on the front, it must be good...)
04-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And...if you are particularly picky, switch to a view camera and focus with a loupe on the groundglass...
I'm not especially picky about DoF (as such) but I am picky about converging verticals which is why I bought a view camera (a Horseman LE). I actually rather enjoy the challenge of swings and tilts to get everything in focus. I must use it more often!

K.

04-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
When I first started out using SLRs, I used depth of field preview a lot, because I had little experience with how much dof a given aperture would give.
But as I accumulated experience and became more capable at estimating the dof at a given aperture, I used the preview less and less.

So my two cents worth is: the feature might be important if you are a new photographer. If you are a seasoned shooter, it's probably not so important.
Sure you can guesstimate, but it's nice to confirm.
I hear the LCD on the back of digital cameras is a pretty popular feature.

Good for you if you have memorized DOF tables for all the different focal length lenses you use...

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
it isn't worth getting one's knickers in a twist about.
With the prevalence of small sensor digital cameras most photos today are pan-focus, like a Chinese painting.
IMO the loss of selective focus is a sad by-product of the switch from film to digital.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-07-2012 at 04:38 PM.
04-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
With the prevalence of small sensor digital cameras most photos today are pan-focus, like a Chinese painting.
IMO the loss of selective focus is a sad by-product of the switch from film to digital.

Chris
Is that really true? Perhaps I hang around the mflenses forum too much but I see a great number of images posted with only one little bit of the image in focus and vast quantities of OOF blur (usually accompanied by some guff about the bokeh for that lens). Funny how I manged to spend the first 25 years of photography without ever coming across the word 'bokeh'.

K.
04-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

"How often do you use depth of field preview?"

Never--I'm way too lazy to bother with that sort of thing.
04-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well I got my brown body K1000 SE, didn't bother with my original plan to get the craigslist one, that guy kept jerking me around. Got one off ebay that is like new looking and already has the CLA + light meter calibration + all new light seals. Its not an Eric job but its at least done by a pro camera shop that was selling it with 8000+ positive feedback and its got a 90 day warranty. So essentially I just bought a new brown body K1000 SE for $140. And yes the SE's are somewhat overpriced, this was about $30 more than I intended to pay but I think even a really nice non Chinese regular black K1000 costs about that much these days after shipping and refurbishment costs so I'm happy enough with it. Plus I really wanted that split prism, and I'll feel cool with my brown camera.
Now I get to cash in on cheap M series (compared to A series) lenses so I can make use of those lovely depth of field things on them. Plus I have my whole A pile to use. This one will be ready to use when it arrives and it'll ship Monday expedited shipping so I will have it before the end of next week. I'm rather more than eager to start shooting.

I hope that wasn't any of you that tried to snipe at the end, I was ready with the confirm bid button to counter snipe to more than I really wanted to spend just in case someone pulled that, I always seem to spend a bit more than I wanted out of sheer spite to snipers.
PENTAX K1000 SE..VERY NICE..SPLIT IMAGE.90 DAY WARRANTY | eBay

04-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #39
Site Supporter

I use the preview often, on film and on digital. Find it usefull, but it did take some time to get used to!

Congrats with the K1000se! I have a Hong Kong SE my self, waiting for me to test drive it.
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Hardly at all, hangs head....
04-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I started using SLRs with a EXA500 and later an additional VX1000. With these cameras you close the aperture by pressing a lever on the lens, pressing further this lever will press the shutter button. If you are careful with your finger, you have a "built-in" depth-of-field-preview, and I remember to have it used very often during the 8 years with these bodies.

When I changed to the K-Bayonet - first with a Porst(=Cosina) CT-something, then a Pentax ME Super - I didn't have this possibility. I think I kind of forgot about the feature, as, after purchasing a used Super A (=Super Program) in 1985, I used it only maybe once for every roll.

With my present K-200D, it seems to be quite useless. Even with the SMC-A 1.4, the VF is just too dark. In cases I REALLY need the information (close-ups wide open), I'll have a test shot and look at the display at 8x.

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-08-2012 at 01:29 PM.
04-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Funny how I manged to spend the first 25 years of photography without ever coming across the word 'bokeh'.
When I first read the word "bokeh" I thought people were joking (and misspelling) about the lens having a wine-like quality.

I never use that word, nor "render".
04-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Can't say I use it all the time but often enough I would miss it if it were gone. A very useful feature when you have or make the time to use it.

Tom G
04-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Another use of DOF preview is to look at how lens flare and internal reflections change as the lens stops down in difficult lighting. Many of the later focusing screens don't show accurate DOF anyway, which is one reason I like older cameras with plain ground glass.