Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it rarely. My main problem is the viewfinder dims too much and turns 'grainy.' It's a feature I haven't missed since shelving my SuperProgram. DoF scales on lenses are more useful to me.

04-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
Forum Member

I never use it. Main reason is that DoF looks wider on ground glass than will actually be on the recorded image. So I've considered it useless.
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jüri Quote
I never use it. Main reason is that DoF looks wider on ground glass than will actually be on the recorded image. So I've considered it useless.
Why? Could you explain?
04-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use mine frequently. It's just another tool supplied by my camera that I use when it is appropriate. There is a learning curve to see in the dark.

04-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Why? Could you explain?
Frankly I can't explain. It has something to do with optics and the surface of ground glass. The difference is dramatic when using lens wide open, but decreases when stopped down.

I did some googling and found a topic on this on DP Review.
Re: Is DOF preview accurate?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jüri Quote
Frankly I can't explain. It has something to do with optics and the surface of ground glass. The difference is dramatic when using lens wide open, but decreases when stopped down.

I did some googling and found a topic on this on DP Review.
Re: Is DOF preview accurate?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Well I read my way through most of that thread and it appears that modern "bright" screens designed for AF will misrepresent DOF with apertures wider than f/4. The people at Katzeye however claim that their screens are a more accurate representation of DoF when using faster lenses. For me, personally, this is handy as (a) most of my film bodies are manual focus and have older style screens and (b) my K20D is fitted with a katzeye screen (one of the best decisions I ever made).

I cannot say I understand the physics of it all, but interesting to learn something new.

K.
04-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if not 100% accurate DOF preview can be an enormous help to the photographer trying to previsualize a photo.
It's certainly quicker than removing your eye from the viewfinder to consult the lenses DOF scale...

Chris

04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I only use the depth of field preview lever when I want to preview depth of field. Aside from that, it's a useless piece of junk. K1000SE? Aren't they ridiculoulsly overpriced?
Ha! Ha! Most K1000s are going for significantly more than they cost new! (Less than $80 USD in an old ad recently posted by Nesster...) Go figure!

Steve
04-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Even if not 100% accurate DOF preview can be an enormous help to the photographer trying to previsualize a photo.
It's certainly quicker than removing your eye from the viewfinder to consult the lenses DOF scale...

Chris
What Chris said...though, based on viewfinder magnification alone, the DOF on the screen will always be somewhat deeper than on an enlargement.

Steve
04-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #25

Never use it. It is the last reason I would have for rejecting a camera.
04-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
Inactive Account

When I first started out using SLRs, I used depth of field preview a lot, because I had little experience with how much dof a given aperture would give.
But as I accumulated experience and became more capable at estimating the dof at a given aperture, I used the preview less and less.

So my two cents worth is: the feature might be important if you are a new photographer. If you are a seasoned shooter, it's probably not so important.
04-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #27
Pentaxian

As always when we discuss these things, some people like it/use it and some don't, it really depends on one's style and personal taste. Similar discussions have been had over the use of grips (I have one and never use it, I'd rather use the space in my camera bag for another lens), memory lock (I use manual) and so on. I mostly use the DoF scale because in those situations where I want precise control of DoF I'm usually using a tripod and taking my time over the shot. I sometimes use the DoF preview, and it is nice if it is available, but having learnt photography on an ME Super it isn't a deal breaker for me.

If you use it a lot, great, buy a camera with one. If you don't, then don't worry about it. With old film bodies largely being cheap these days (as we all know the CLA often costs more than the camera!), buy one of each!

To use an English colloquial expression, it isn't worth getting one's knickers in a twist about.

K.
04-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
To use an English colloquial expression, it isn't worth getting one's knickers in a twist about.
...or here in the U.S., one's "panties in a wad"...

Having spent some time in the last year or so with a view camera, the whole matter of DOF has become much more prevalent in my thinking. (DOF is a huge issue with larger formats.) We take it for granted with smaller formats and wider lenses and then complain that our photos are "soft" when in reality, they are merely out of focus. In truth, DOF is merely acceptable sharpness at a particular viewing distance and magnification. Enlarge even a perfect negative taken with a perfect lens large enough and DOF will approach zero. However, if you are picky about such things, DOF preview in the viewfinder is a good first estimate. Even better is to use a viewfinder magnifier. And...if you are particularly picky, switch to a view camera and focus with a loupe on the groundglass. Then you will know the exact DOF on the negative. Assuming, of course, that the view is not too dim to see anything!

Steve

(...takes special care with focus with the Zenitar fisheye since it is sooo... difficult to determine accurately in the viewfinder. Split image is a must!)
04-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I only use the depth of field preview lever when I want to preview depth of field. Aside from that, it's a useless piece of junk. K1000SE? Aren't they ridiculoulsly overpriced?
I haven't gotten into that discussion yet. If I were shopping I'd be looking for a KM or maybe a KX.

The PDML "Best" Pentax camera bodies list - read the bottom entry.
04-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I haven't gotten into that discussion yet. If I were shopping I'd be looking for a KM or maybe a KX.

The PDML "Best" Pentax camera bodies list - read the bottom entry.
Well, there goes the prices for the KM...

We had best stop giving the thumbs up for various cameras and lenses...drives the prices sky high!!!

Steve

(...just went through the process of trying to build an SV/Super-Tak 55/1.8/Super-Tak 28/3.5 kit...wishes he never posted good pictures with or lavished heavy praise on any of those items, particularly the 28/3.5...)