Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How often do you use depth of field preview?

I have a Super Program that has the depth of field preview lever, I also am possibly getting a K1000 SE without. I only just realized I NEVER use the depth of field preview when in the field taking pics. Not really sure why, it just never became a habit, I just sorta know about where the range of things are at various F stops and never worried about the exact edges. It also has something do with the fact that the lever significantly darkens the focusing screen (stopping down, imagine that ) and so its not always easy to see the subtle difference between individual stops anyways.

04-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's at the very bottom of my list of desired features. I never use it. Of all my film bodies, I'm not even sure which ones have it. Maybe it has to do with the fact I started (and stayed for years) with bodies without it.
04-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it a bit - usually for close-ups when I want an idea how out of focus the background is going to be. Also in low light when I want everything in focus and "just cranking it up to f16" would push my ISO up to the point of compromising quality, to find the sweet spot.

So actually a lot more than I use, say, video.
04-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use it every now and then, but enough to realize the importance of it. I'd guess I use it on two to four shots per roll. As mentioned above it's great to view the difference in depth of field as you stop down, especially when you're shooting at minimum focusing distance or taking portraits. I used it a couple days ago as I was taking pictures of the blooms on my Magnolia tree (Magnolia trees are very difficult to grow here in this climate and I have a very large majestic Magnolia in the front yard).

Here's my opinion. Buy the brown K1000. They're beautiful. While you're at it buy an MX, KX, K2 DMD, LX and maybe a MZ-S. If I remember correctly you have a Super Program, so add an ME Super to the shopping list. I don't know your budget, but if it allows for some fun old camera collections, including a brown K1000 SE (which I also own), then go for it. Use the cameras though, unless you buy them as new-in-box. To me it's more fun to own these cameras if you actually use them instead of storing them.

04-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't often use it - though with the screw mount cameras, I do have to, every time I meter and with preset lenses, right before I shoot

I would not disqualify a camera if it lacks a preview button.

Not only for all the reasons you gave in the OP and everyone else, there's the idea that what you see on the ground glass isn't necessarily what you get. Better to keep certain principles in mind: the in focus area to the front is 1/3, to the rear is 2/3... (now I may have that entirely wrong, but somehow that rule of thumb stays with me)...
04-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the distance scales on prime lenses more useful for determining DOF. Unfortunately these are missing from zooms.

Phil.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E4800  Photo 
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Now and again, it isn't a deal breaker for me. Like Phil I use the DoF scale on prime lenses for hyperfocal distance work. I mainly use the DoF lever to see what the OOF areas look like. Stopping down impacts the look of the OOF areas long before they become in focus.

K.

04-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I would not disqualify a camera if it lacks a preview button.
Indeed!

Steve

(...currently shooting more with the rangefinder cameras than with the SLRs...)
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I find the distance scales on prime lenses more useful for determining DOF. Unfortunately these are missing from zooms.
Depends on the zoom. The push/pull variety usually have distance scales.

Steve
04-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since composing through the taking lens is a primary reason for using an SLR IMO depth of field preview is essential.
I have owned several Pentax SLR models without this feature and rejected each.
I use the DOF preview on nearly every shot, except when shooting subjects in fast action.

I'm perfectly happy to use rangefinder and scale focus cameras without this feature.
But IMO depth of field preview is a must-have feature on an SLR camera.
OTOH my wife who learned photography using a DOF-less K1000 never uses it.

Chris
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think it was in 1979, or earlier.
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I used to check it when using SLR. Well, those lenses had preset apertures anyway. It is really nice to look at it when doing hyperfocal or zone-focusing.
04-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Never.
04-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think it was in 1979, or earlier.
Yeah, right about the time Pentax deleted it as a feature of their popularly priced models...

Chris
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I only use the depth of field preview lever when I want to preview depth of field. Aside from that, it's a useless piece of junk. K1000SE? Aren't they ridiculoulsly overpriced?