Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Blue Moon Camera (and repair) here in the Portland area actually has a machine shop and can fabricate parts if needed. That is the beauty of a fully mechanical camera. If one has the will and the funds, the possibility of repair remains high.

Steve

(BTW...Blue Moon also repairs typewriters...the old fashioned kind with ribbons...)
I got a chance to check out Blue Moon when I went through Portland last year, impressive place!

Phil.

04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #17

I have had Eric do a basket of cameras, a Super Program, a Program Plus, 2 ME Supers, 2 Spotmatic Fs, a Spotmatic, a MX and a K1000. I believe in backup.
04-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As Eric appears to have cornered the world's supply of spare ES/ESII electronics we'll be stuck when they run out. It is an irony of modern life that older cameras like the SV etc. can be kept going more easily (I say 'more easily', not 'easily') than cameras from the electronic era. I doubt someone will be using my K20D in forty years time in the same way I am using my ES/ESII, let alone the Spotmatic or the S1a!

K.
04-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are still very good camera techs trained in old-school models, but must have gone on to other carreers due to lack of business. The others I know of have stopped working on general models and have focused on the high-end historic models, like Leica rangefinders, where collectors will pay a lot, and they can specialize. Eric is unique. He is not trying to build a business, but to stay busy and useful, and provide for his needs.
I believe he had some serious medical problems a year or so ago, but he sounded positive about improvement. Let's treaure him while we can!
However, National Camera (Repair School) materials, training manuals, repair manuals, etc. are still available. Their training course materiasl are based around the K1000! Most mechanical cameras need cleaning and lubing, not parts - so start learning!

04-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #20

Indeed! Pentax has Eric. Yashica has Mark Hama.
I agree, Mark Hama did an awesome job on my Yashica Mat TLR this last winter, him and Eric are the only two people that touch my camera's (besides myself).
04-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why wait until your Pentax camera develops a problem? Invest in a CLA now.
For a small sum Eric's work will ensure it works reliably for the next 20 years.

Chris
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blue Moon Camera (and repair) here in the Portland area actually has a machine shop and can fabricate parts if needed. That is the beauty of a fully mechanical camera. If one has the will and the funds, the possibility of repair remains high.

Steve

(BTW...Blue Moon also repairs typewriters...the old fashioned kind with ribbons...)
I have done some mail order business with Blue Moon for years. When I make it to Portland. They are #1 on my things to do list.

04-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

He says he's hale and hearty but I still wish he'd line up about 12 guys and train them right. My 48 year old friend died last year of a heart attack that no one saw coming. You just never know...sigh...
04-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Why wait until your Pentax camera develops a problem? Invest in a CLA now.
For a small sum Eric's work will ensure it works reliably for the next 20 years.

Chris
I have been getting my various bodies serviced when I can, but usually with Robin in the UK. The extra postage to the US and back makes Eric that bit more expensive. I did get Eric to do my ESII as the parts were not available in the UK.

K.
04-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #25
DAP

Honestly, if Eric takes down his shingle you'll still be ok. If you have a basic pentax mechanical camera I wouldn't worry too much - I would think that any camera repair person worth their salt should be able to fix one. As far as parts are concerned, there are plenty of parts cameras out there that are sold cheap.

If you are an LX fan - I might be a bit more concerned. LX cameras are service pigs that require a very good tech. I sold my LX years ago because I saw the writing on the wall.
04-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just hope I get 10 years out of Eric's CLA. By then either I'll be dead or the seal kits will all be gone. Then it can be shelf candy.
04-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
If you are an LX fan - I might be a bit more concerned. LX cameras are service pigs that require a very good tech. I sold my LX years ago because I saw the writing on the wall.
No doubt someone deserving was happy for that!
04-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
Honestly, if Eric takes down his shingle you'll still be ok. If you have a basic pentax mechanical camera I wouldn't worry too much - I would think that any camera repair person worth their salt should be able to fix one. As far as parts are concerned, there are plenty of parts cameras out there that are sold cheap.

Good luck finding a camera repair tech.
04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Good luck finding a camera repair tech.
There are still a number of good techs out there that handle more exotic cameras than LXs. As long as you are willing to pay the price there will always be some talented person who would be willing to tackle the project. Where there's a will (and cash) there is a way.
04-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
No doubt someone deserving was happy for that!
I hope so...they were really nice cameras (and both of the LXs I sold had recent overhauls performed by Pentax Colorado at the time of sale - back when they still offered comprehensive rebuilds on them). When they are working LXs are great cameras.