Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Good luck finding a camera repair tech.
I have the choice of half a dozen reputable techs in the Portland area, including at least one who was trained by and certified by Pentax. We are so lucky in this quirky, film camera-loving town

Steve

04-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
There are still a number of good techs out there that handle more exotic cameras than LXs. As long as you are willing to pay the price there will always be some talented person who would be willing to tackle the project. Where there's a will (and cash) there is a way.
As I've posted about over on APUG, Essex Camera just did a Voigtlander Vitessa for me. At least based on one test roll so far after the repair, they appear to have done a great job on it, including fixing a film transport problem. (Really must write a proper thread about it somewhere instead of only these semi-on-topic posts to others...) Anyway, I would consider the Vitessa "exotic," with its weird plunger winding. It was the first camera I had sent them, so in a way it was baptism by fire; if they can fix the Vitessa (about which some other techs write approximately "run the other way!"), then they can fix a fairly normal SLR or TLR. Note that their web site says "We have grown into a service center with 20 technicians ..." This might be outdated, as much of their site looks to be, but even if by any chance they've shrunk back to, say, 15, that's still a large army compared to Eric and all the other very good but overstretched one-person operations. And you'd have to think that within Essex, there's a bit of internal apprenticing happening between their older techs and newer.

--Dave
04-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have the choice of half a dozen reputable techs in the Portland area, including at least one who was trained by and certified by Pentax. We are so lucky in this quirky, film camera-loving town

Steve
With out shipping it out to the Northeast or Kansas, I know of one person in a shop in Chattanooga which ironically is about 2 thirds of the way between be and Eric.
04-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
As I've posted about over on APUG, Essex Camera just did a Voigtlander Vitessa for me. At least based on one test roll so far after the repair, they appear to have done a great job on it, including fixing a film transport problem. (Really must write a proper thread about it somewhere instead of only these semi-on-topic posts to others...) Anyway, I would consider the Vitessa "exotic," with its weird plunger winding. It was the first camera I had sent them, so in a way it was baptism by fire; if they can fix the Vitessa (about which some other techs write approximately "run the other way!"), then they can fix a fairly normal SLR or TLR. Note that their web site says "We have grown into a service center with 20 technicians ..." This might be outdated, as much of their site looks to be, but even if by any chance they've shrunk back to, say, 15, that's still a large army compared to Eric and all the other very good but overstretched one-person operations. And you'd have to think that within Essex, there's a bit of internal apprenticing happening between their older techs and newer.

--Dave
The thing about Eric is that he does nearly exclusively Pentax and he has the test sets from Honeywell plus he was the Honeywell guy and then with another official repair center before retiring. I am fairly certain there aren't many guys around that can touch an ES and ESII. Even he shows a little trepidation with origan "AP", S and K from 1957 and 1958. I would be concerned about my Pentax 6x7 as well. I am not saying other guys can't do it. However, I always hated to pay guys by the hour when they were getting on the job training so to speak. Sure, if it were my Mamiya C3 or Contax D, I would send it to Kansas.

04-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Even he shows a little trepidation with origan "AP", S and K from 1957 and 1958.
If by "he" you meant Eric then that is not the case as he didn't hesitate one bit accepting my AP and restoring it completely as if brand new again!
04-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If by "he" you meant Eric then that is not the case as he didn't hesitate one bit accepting my AP and restoring it completely as if brand new again!
If you notice, I wrote "a little trepidation." Up until about 2 years ago, he had never torn into the models with the dials on the front for the slow shutter speeds. He was a little reluctant the first time he did one of those. Therefore, I would be reluctant to send one of those models to anyone besides Eric. There are several people around here that have "AP", S, K and some Asahiflex bodies.

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 09:35 PM.
04-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote

--Dave

That reminds me, I will be in Portland in late 2013 and that is one of my things on the "to do" list is look into these places like Blue Moon. I have done stuff by mail with them for years.
04-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #38
Pentaxian

If you notice, I wrote "a little trepidation." Up until about 2 years ago, he had never torn into the models with the dials on the front for the slow shutter speeds. He was a little reluctant the first time he did one of those.
May have been but no longer the case . . .

04-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #39
Site Supporter

May have been but no longer the case . . .

I don't think you follow what I meant. Eric actually cares about those and since he hadn't worked on them much, he was concerned. Some of us convinced him to look at one. But, you miss the point entirely. If Eric had initial concerns, I certainly would be concerned about sending an "AP" or S to a guy that works mostly on Nikon and Olympus.
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Obviously there is a misunderstanding as the Eric I am referring to is of Home and there would be no hesitation to sending him an AP - or any other mechanical Pentax, as I did more then a year ago already.
04-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Obviously there is a misunderstanding as the Eric I am referring to is of Home and there would be no hesitation to sending him an AP - or any other mechanical Pentax, as I did more then a year ago already.
Yes, we are talking about Eric. You obviously don't understand that what I am saying is he is the only one I would have confidence in sending any model with the slow dial on front such as the Asahiflex, AP, K and S to for repair or CLA.
05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #42

Eric's Turnaround Time

Hello all...

I have several K1000's that need Eric's magic touch. He has one currently that I inherited from my father-in-law. His website says he turns the camera repair around in 3-4 days - has this been everyone's experience?? From what I'm reading here he must be extremely busy with the fear of a dwindling parts supply. What would everyone expect to be a reasonable turn around time given the current state of things?
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eric has usually got cameras back to me in about 2 weeks, including shipping time both ways, time to give and approve the estimate and pay by PayPal. Something more unusual like an Asahiflex or 1958 original Pentax can take a few weeks longer if he has to make shutter curtains. However, a K1000 should be no problem.
05-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #44
Lens Buying Addict

I've had him do so many cameras over the years that I've taken to emailing him forst to ask how his schedule looks. Usuaklly he replies simply, "Send it." Every once in a while he replies something like, "I'm really backed up right now. Can you send it in a couple weeks?" and he give a reason. Last time that happened the reason was (as Tom wrote above) "I'm fabricating shutter parts for an AP restoration."

I waited two weeks to send the camera and it was back in 7 days, which is the normal turnaround.