Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does Eric have an apprentice?

I don't need to specify WHICH Eric.

If he were to get hit by a bus tomorrow we would all be totally screwed as finding someone like him is like finding a true competent gunsmith (as opposed to a scope attacher person). Or a blacksmith that can make forged swords that are truly functional yet worthy of being called art at the same time.

I just hope he intends to pass his very unique set of skills and equipment on to someone (or someones) that can continue the work at the same reasonable prices and level of competence. Many of those skills just aren't taught anymore.

I just got to wondering this while camera shopping on ebay and I figured either someone could put my mind to rest or I'll just have to buy 2 of everything and send him a basket of camera bodies so I am stocked for future needs.

04-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know, but it has been discussed. I would like to send one of my sons up there from Chattanooga.
04-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, he probably does not. Why would a young person want to embark on a career repairing an ever dwindling number of cameras for an ever-dwindling number of customers. They ain't making any new Spotmatics, and they ain't making many new Spotmatic users.

In fact, I suspect that Eric only does this to keep busy in his semi-retirement. I seriously doubt that anyone could make a real living from this.

But then, what do I know?
04-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A significant part of Eric's business (and the low cost to us) is the supply of NOS parts he took with him when he sold/retired from Precision. At some point not only is there no more Eric, there are no more parts. Certain items are down to the last one.

Get your stuff done now, boys and girls.

04-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And it is just not Eric. Lot of old school artisans are fading away with time.
Show a young guy an electron tube or a magnetron, *what that do boss".
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
And the stampede begins. oops

I'm sure this also has come up before but which cameras do you expect to go out of commission because they require specific parts that aren't reproduced and wear or break with some regularity? This is actually one of the reasons for my brown K1000 SE quest (got a line on a CLA'd mint one for $100 btw), I wanted something as crazy simple with minimum number of parts as possible to use my K lenses on. Plus there are about 10 million K1000's to get parts from.
I hadn't realized Eric had a parts advantage too, I just thought he made foam bumpers and light seals out of some bulk stock and then used his equipment and know how to CLA them.

EDIT: this would definitely be a worthy side job for someone in my opinion even if they can't do it full time. I wonder how many cameras he fixes. Even if its only one CLA per day that would be a tiny sum at the end of the year even after properly reporting it and paying taxes since its basically zero overhead cost.

And remind him to put in his will that all his parts and equipment get turned over to Adam or somebody for disposition to the appropriate parties. I would hate to see it end up in the trash.
04-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I hadn't realized Eric had a parts advantage too, I just thought he made foam bumpers and light seals out of some bulk stock and then used his equipment and know how to CLA them.
Springs, washers, levers, shutter box parts, seals, wires - then there are the meter parts which can't be fabricated, electronic boards (if a transistor or pot is no longer made all the soldering skills on earth can't help), mirrors - there can be 1000 parts in a mechanical camera.

Two examples: LX dust seals (when you open a LX to CLA it you also have to put new gaskets back in. The gasket/seal kits are in fairly short supply). NOS split-image focusing screens which were a factory option on the KX

04-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering how Eric does it. I just yesterday received a very reasonable quote from Eric for a CLA for a H2 and he needed to fix a creased shutter. I was wondering if he fabricated them or what he does....
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My house was built in 1887. Try to find a common plasterer younger than 60. I sit on a small museum board that has a famous 19th C. writer's home as its principal property - that houses the collection. Try to find a restoration technician for a period piano; carved wainscoting, slate roof, leaded glass windows.

Actually there is a cadre of artisans who specialize in historic property restorations and they do have apprentices - but that's because you can make a lviing doing that.
04-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I was wondering how Eric does it. I just yesterday received a very reasonable quote from Eric for a CLA for a H2 and he needed to fix a creased shutter. I was wondering if he fabricated them or what he does....
If I remember correctly, he has the replicator out of the original Starship Enterprise.

darkside
04-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If I remember correctly, he has the replicator out of the original Starship Enterprise.

:darkside:
I want one of those!
04-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I wonder how many cameras he fixes
Between this forum and my occasional visits to APUG and Flikr, I would say Eric gets a lot of cameras every year. During the time he had my spotmatic earlier this year at least 4-6 guys on this forum alone reported him having their cameras at the same time.
04-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Eric once asked me for an extra week on a job because he was fabricating a shutter for an H1a RESTORATION. Turns out it was for one of our members. The H1a is apparently museum quality.
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Lot of old school artisans are fading away with time.
Indeed! Pentax has Eric. Yashica has Mark Hama. I had my Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL repaired by a fellow in Portland who formerly worked at the factory assembling the things. All of these people are valuable resources to the community and like all of us are growing older by the day.

Steve
04-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Blue Moon Camera (and repair) here in the Portland area actually has a machine shop and can fabricate parts if needed. That is the beauty of a fully mechanical camera. If one has the will and the funds, the possibility of repair remains high.

Steve

(BTW...Blue Moon also repairs typewriters...the old fashioned kind with ribbons...)