Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I first picked up a few film cameras after a long absence and great familiarity with my K100D, it did feel very, very odd to not have a screen on the back.

We truck drivers in Japan have something very similar where when driving the family car and entering a downhill stretch of road we suddenly turn our windshield wipers on. The windshield wiper control on cars here is in the exact same position as the exhaust brake control on our trucks. Out of force of habit we reach out and flick the lever forward, sending the wipers flick-flick-flick-flick across the windshield and eliciting some very puzzled looks from others in the car.

01-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

i for get that i can shoot motble frames by hoding down the buttion lol i have shot so long with cameras like the K1000 that i for get that i have that option and i tend to shoot like i have film focise, compose, click, and wind lol i hear the other photojs clickclickclickclickclickclick and i am like yea i can do that to i forgot LOL

the op is lucky Pentax has so menny GOOD film cameras to choose from but i stay with some thing like a K1000 it will teach displin and better you photo skills
01-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
When I first picked up a few film cameras after a long absence and great familiarity with my K100D, it did feel very, very odd to not have a screen on the back.

We truck drivers in Japan have something very similar where when driving the family car and entering a downhill stretch of road we suddenly turn our windshield wipers on. The windshield wiper control on cars here is in the exact same position as the exhaust brake control on our trucks. Out of force of habit we reach out and flick the lever forward, sending the wipers flick-flick-flick-flick across the windshield and eliciting some very puzzled looks from others in the car.
With me it is the rear view mirror. When I drive in the UK I find I am for ever looking at the right side door pillar at teh corner of the windshield
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Please, please, please tell us you were making a funny.
Actually, I butchered what I wanted to say. What I meant to say was that with all manual controls I have no way of knowing what it is I am doing. If it had some auto controls then one or two pics were bound to come out right..

Anyway, I did end up order a K1000 and 50mm f/1.4 lens as dantuyhoa and others suggested. It should be receiving it Monday. Found a one that is in like new condition with Lens for $149.00

I am really looking forward to it and I will be doing black and white film to start.

01-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Javier

Congrats . Good choice !

Pentaximaging.com does have PRINTED K1000 manual for sale @ 6 bucks . Very handy to carry along . Takes a week or so mailing to your way .

Get some 24-exposure C41 . Shoot with the one variable at a time . Say , ISO @ 400 , shutter speed 1/125 ( 125 on the dial ) ,and you just change the F stop until the needle is right in the center . But sometimes the "correct exposure " might not be the best photo !

Also might I add another item : The Asahi Pentax Way by , who else , Herbert Keppler . You can get it for less than 10 USD on fleabay . Very good reading on general photography and Pentax Spotmatic . After all K1000 is really a Spotmatic F in K-mount , minus sefl-timer & depth of field preview . Good luck and have fun !

May The Film Develop You !

Tran

PS The book appears in 11 editions so there should be plenty of that . Mine is 1976 . But IIRC from my research, it does run till 1980 .
01-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiFilm Quote
I had a PZ-20 back in the 90's that I liked alot!! What's the diff between a PZ-1 and a PZ-1P?? Did they precede the PZ-20?

What would be the Pentax equivalent to a Nikon FM2n? Now that one is a sweet little camera!!!

Tran? Where's all the 645/6x7 users around these here parts?

Randy {digi.film}
*yes! it IS 4am! I can't sleep!*
Hey Randy

PZ 1 has the intervalometer ! PZ 20 came out later around 1994 . PZ 1 @ 1991 .

Numberwise , Pentax SF1n and Nikon FM2n both have the same 1/4000 top speed , flash synch @ 1/250 . But I think SF1n came out later . I saw some cheapo deal on Nikon so did some reading on it but decided to put it aside.

There are some MF Pentax users in here but I don't know where they are !
01-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Anyway, I did end up order a K1000 and 50mm f/1.4 lens as dantuyhoa and others suggested. It should be receiving it Monday. Found a one that is in like new condition with Lens for $149.00
Good stuff. Will you get K or M 50mm with it?

You don't really need K1000 user manual. The only important thing to know is that K1000 has full-frame metering, unlike center-weighted on most other models. I owned K1000 and replaced it a long time ago with MX, but I miss full-frame metering on my MX.

Last edited by Ivan Glisin; 01-19-2008 at 08:12 AM.
01-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Actually, I butchered what I wanted to say. What I meant to say was that with all manual controls I have no way of knowing what it is I am doing. If it had some auto controls then one or two pics were bound to come out right..

I am really looking forward to it and I will be doing black and white film to start.
The K1000 is a super camera, i have two of them. They are used as a student camera in our school system here.
The camera has a small battery which is easy to find. The only use for the battery is the meter. Remember, as soon as you take the lens cap off, the meter turns on. All you have to do is set a shutter speed and ap, and get the meter in the middle. No DOF button, but you can simulate that by slightly rotating the lens, just a mm or so, and you can see your DOF.

The longer the cap is off, the quicker the battery dies.

IIRC a battery would last me about 4-5 months of hard use.

Dave

01-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

MZ-5n is one of two Pentax film cameras I have, and it is excellent.

Or

If you can find the ultimate, hunt down an MZ-S, the K10D of recent films SLR's
01-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
MZ-5n is one of two Pentax film cameras I have, and it is excellent.

Or

If you can find the ultimate, hunt down an MZ-S, the K10D of recent films SLR's
yes! was looking for suggestions for the MZ range of film cams, no mention til now. I agree that the MZ - S is the epitome of flim cameras too. Personally I'm using a MZ - 3 (souped up MZ-5n really) and have no reservations of recommending it. Its an excellent camera and very handy for travelling. Fit it with a FAQ43 ltd and u're all set to go.
01-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Pentax ME Super, The luxury of AE and the safety of knowing that even with a dead battery, you still have the ability to get off a shot. I have had mine in northern Canada on snow mobile and across the Pacific and Atlantic without a problem. I do have it regularly tuned up, but it has given the best service to me. K1000 is a great camera also very nearly bullet proof.
01-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Hey Randy

Numberwise , Pentax SF1n and Nikon FM2n both have the same 1/4000 top speed , flash synch @ 1/250 .

The SF-1n doesn't have a top flash synch of 1/250; it's 1/125. The PZ-1 and PZ-1p have a top flash synch of 1/250.