Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
considering a film camera

Hi Folks
I have very seriously been considering purchasing a Pentax film camera..I am not oppsed to buying used...

My questions are
1 What camera would u folks recommend?
2 Will my existing lenses work of a film Camera?

Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

01-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K1000 no frills just a good camera
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
K1000 no frills just a good camera
This is the one I am thinking about.
01-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a zx30 that I got not too long ago. It's autofocus, but it's really simple to use. As for how the pictures turn out with it, I can't say until I take the first roll to get developed tomorrow. I got it for under $40 on eBay, including shipping. I saw the same camera at my local camera store for $199.

To answer your question on whether or not your lenses would fit, all of them will fit, but lenses designed for "full-frame" cameras (24x36 exposure area) are the ones you need for a film SLR. A lot of the newer lenses are designed for "digital-only", meaning that they're designed for the smaller APS-C digital sensors. Full-frame lenses will work fine on a DSLR, but if you try to use "digital-only" lenses on a film SLR, then you'll get major vigenetting.

Also, which full-frame lenses you would use on your film SLR would depend on the type of body you get. Autofocus bodies will take both autofocus and manual lenses, but your options are more limited with a manual body (I've never tried using a autofocus lens in manual focus on a manual focus, so I'm not 100% positive on that one). I started out with a manual focus film body, but missed autofocus so much that I opted to sell that body and pick up a AF body.

Picking up the film body changed the way I look at building my lens collection. I just got rid of my Tammy 18-250--not being able to use it on my film SLR being part of the reason. Now, when I'm selecting lenses, I'm going for full-frame, so I can use them on both bodies. I'm also hoping that one day Pentax will come out with a full-frame DSLR, in which case I'll be ready.

HTH,
Heather

01-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K1000 = all manual route .

PZ-1P = K10D in film ( well almost ) .
01-12-2008, 05:21 AM   #6

*ist was my choice

because of:
1. I lost my M42 lenses compatibility- this was downside :-(
2. as I got it with BG-20 grip it "eats" eneloops :-)
3. with grip it is better than without
4. brand new = warranty
5. wireless flash with 540FGZ
6. pretty like my K100D :-)
7. covering at least 14-135 mm with my recent glass (DA10-17 OK from 14mm, then FA35. FA50, DFA100, FA 24-90, Sigma 24-135...)
8. Very happy with IQ- scan my films myself and process with Adobe LR
9. Weight/size of course...
10. Whatever- but it is FUN to use film again- no "chimping" but carefully composing/evaluating every shot- this makes all of us better photographers I guess :-)
11. etc. etc,

Best and happy shooting, JR
01-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you can find it go for a PZ-1 or PZ-1p

you can run manual or auto modes including hyper program. it has a 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 flash sync.

As a plus it will use every lens pentax ever made

Aside from materials it handles and feels like a big old tank.

01-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

Or ZX-M?

I'm all about my ZX-M (MZ-M in some parts). They can be had for pretty cheap, too. Just got one in excellent condition off eBay for $65 with an 50mm lens as well. The K1000 is nice too, and I'd like to get a nice used one just to have a fully manual camera to play with.

- Daniel
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow
Thanks for all the responses..I was really considering the K1000, but did not realize it was fully manual..This might not work for me, because I will not have the luxury of replaying my pics and will not know what I have until I have them developed.

Lowell
I think I have it settled down to this one.
PZ-1P

I will keep doing some pondering.
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You won't now what you have, with any film camera, until they are developed.

PZ-1 and K1000 are both very good cameras. K1000 is manual, and the PZ-1 is an auto camera, but can do both auto and manual exposures..

Dave
01-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What lenses do you have? Are you looking for an auto focus body? If not, and if you mainly have M, A or FA lenses and if auto focus is not critical then take a look at Super Program / Super A (P, Av, Tv, M modes) or at ME Super (Av, M modes):

superA/superPROGRAM
ME Super
01-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Javier ,

Might I suggest you get the K1000 with some 50mm lens . It's a joy to use this . And you will learn so much . Put the dang thing on a tripod and take your time to shoot . Bring along some note pad and a dinky low tech pencil . Jog down the f stop , shutter speed for every damn frame . Bring along some coffee . Take you time . You might want to pick up a copy of Photography by Barbara London and John Upton . Myself I didn't even know of K1000 until several years ago ! College and the girl with the long milky legs sometimes made you signing up for class that not even crossing your mind . Yes ,her legs are getting longer every time I recall this .

If you don't like it . It would be a legal self defense device, non-concealed of course .

If you have any question , you can post here . Or PM me or any of the film geeks in here , we will be happy to help , I did ask for help a few times and I thanked them all .

May The Film Will Develop You !

Tran

PS : Try C41 , Black and White film first .
01-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
Forum Member

I had a PZ-20 back in the 90's that I liked alot!! What's the diff between a PZ-1 and a PZ-1P?? Did they precede the PZ-20?

What would be the Pentax equivalent to a Nikon FM2n? Now that one is a sweet little camera!!!

Tran? Where's all the 645/6x7 users around these here parts?

Randy {digi.film}
*yes! it IS 4am! I can't sleep!*

Last edited by DigiFilm; 01-18-2008 at 03:04 AM. Reason: just because I can?
01-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Wow
Thanks for all the responses..I was really considering the K1000, but did not realize it was fully manual..This might not work for me, because I will not have the luxury of replaying my pics and will not know what I have until I have them developed.
Please, please, please tell us you were making a funny.
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by jgredline
Wow
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Please, please, please tell us you were making a funny.
Mike

Although I know better, when I use my PZ-1 now that I also own an *istD and K10D I find myself looking at the back of the camera waiting for the image that I just shot to appear.

That is how familiar the PZ-1 controls are to a DSLR user