Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

best place to get film developed to CD

hi i live in california and i have a plethora of local places i can go to for developing my film to cd like walgreens, target, walmart, and costco as well as sams club but those are across town and i usually only go there once a week.

my question is where would be my best bet to take some of my rolls that i shot over spring break? i mainly want to know if anyone knows which offers the best quality scans that are going to be on the disc? whatre your guys experiences with this? i hear that places like target and walgreens etc dont give you the best scans because they want you to get prints there and not take home the cd and do your own prints.

i think when i go tomorrow to drop off the film im going to ask the person working there either target or walgreens what the resolution of the scans are, and maybe if i can get them to do the best scans possible for the same price if thats even possible haha

but ya if you can let me know where youve had good experiences getting your film developed to a CD please let me know. thanks !

04-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best quality is probably North Coast Photograhic Services (NCPS) in Carlsbad, CA. Also very good is Dwaynes Photo in Kansas, that I've used more, but doesn't do as high a resolution. Precision Camera in Austin is also high quality, and offers high resolution scans.
04-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I just found out Walgreen's is uploading scanned files for 99 cents per roll. I've done it three times now. The scans are only 1800 pixels, but the ones I've gotten are actually decent quality. Certainly good enough for web posting, and if there are any shots I realy like, I can do my own high-res scan, or send it off to someone who really knows what they're doing.
04-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I just found out Walgreen's is uploading scanned files for 99 cents per roll. I've done it three times now. The scans are only 1800 pixels, but the ones I've gotten are actually decent quality. Certainly good enough for web posting, and if there are any shots I realy like, I can do my own high-res scan, or send it off to someone who really knows what they're doing.
well ill give walgreens a try tomorrow since its kidn of convenient for me since its right next to my physical therapy place. i just have to hope i get some decent scans because i havent invested in my own scanner.

should i even bother wasting money on those sub $100 scanners on ebay?

04-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chris* Quote
should i even bother wasting money on those sub $100 scanners on ebay?
In a word...NO...

Imagine, if you would, a scanner built around a sub-$100 fixed focus low resolution P&S digital camera...

Now imagine your money floating down a swift river never to be seen again...

Steve
04-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In a word...NO...

Imagine, if you would, a scanner built around a sub-$100 fixed focus low resolution P&S digital camera...

Now imagine your money floating down a swift river never to be seen again...

Steve
thanks. when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense to go ahead and wait to invest in my own scanner. maybe ill wait and save a little for a couple of paychecks
04-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just as an FYI, and I'm not saying it's worth it or it isn't: seems like you can buy NEW scanners which are not the current model for pretty reasonable prices. Over a year ago I bought an Epson V500 from Amazon for about $130. The scans I make on my own look great as large web files, but the quality seems to break down quickly as I go larger. I've never made a print from my own scans, LOL. On the other hand, I've never really spent much time tweaking and optimizing my scan results, so they could probably be better. Getting a good scanner is on my list, but nowhere near the top. Much like Walgreen's scans, they're good enough to share my shots on the web, and good enough to assess whether I might want to pay money for a high quality professional deep scan.