Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I reported both listings as fraudulent. Unfortunately, ebay's reporting system is so dire (you have no opportunity to explain why you think the listing is a fraud) I doubt it will do any good. Perhaps if we all did so the weight of numbers might make them take notice?

K.

04-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I reported also.
04-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
I reported also.
Me too...
04-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I reported both listings as fraudulent. Unfortunately, ebay's reporting system is so dire (you have no opportunity to explain why you think the listing is a fraud) I doubt it will do any good. Perhaps if we all did so the weight of numbers might make them take notice?

K.
I will report also.

04-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also reported this as fraud.
04-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Inquiring minds and all of that... That's why I first posted this, since there was nothing really on the web. I would have thought that there should be something here or on Bojidar on something like this. Something in terms of "legend (folklore) has it that Pentax had the famous red SMC lenses, that folks have been hunting for across the decades". In reading the Craigslist offer and the ebay post, it says (I am going off from memory), that these items were purchased from Pentax Germany on some trip, so the seller must surely have receipts indicating such. Some sort of provenance indicating that these are truly something out of the ordinary should certainly be expected - for the price of a 50/2.

Also, I was not aware of Pentax selling off their prototypes (and why Germany and not Japan), again I would expect that Bojidar would have some information posted. The few examples of prototype items he has on the website shows a lens serial number of 000000001. Its interesting to note that on the images provided the "special" lenses have serial numbers of 2102095 and 6090680 respectfully. One would think that lens blanks would be tested and those found with the special color rendering capability would be set aside so that a limited run of these could be made. This would possibly indicate that the lens serial numbers should be relatively close together. If these are the only two in existence, and Pentax were making a limited number of these available then the collective knowledge here and on the other boards - someone would have some knowledge somewhere about these. I didn't know that vibration was such a problem with the shutter in sport shooting?

I wonder if Pentax - either USA, Germany or Japan, would or could validate the lens and body serial numbers one way or the other. It seems simple enough. Also, there seems to be an implication of a match set of body and lens, that together constitutes something very special - I would think that maybe matching serial numbers or something - other than just seeing red. There are websites dedicated to serial numbers of various Leica and Zeiss lenses. Also, this seems like something that the old Pentax Museum would have had on display.

Anyway, I am just thinking out loud and asking some open ended questions here.....

04-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #22

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=16...vip=true&rt=nc

This MV1 'Electronic' sold recently, same seller, for an amazing price.... Again, just some stick on emblems etc.

I love the 'extreamally rare' ME Sport! Note 'This version of ME II winder was especially designed for ME Sport.'.... Wow, a one off MEII winder to complement the camera. I wonder what it does differently?

And my favourite

This is very rare version of Pentax ME. I haven't been able to find
any information on the Internet or in books about this edition.
Only after this auction, it would have made it's mark on the internet.

Buy this camera, and you could create history...

I reported the two current listings, and the ended MV1... Cited trademark infringement: fake item, also pointed out the ridiculous claims to justify the shipping prices.. Sad.

Last edited by Brad&Gayna; 04-10-2012 at 06:51 AM.
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I also reported the two items as copyright/trademark violations citing counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimers.

People are funny. It's too bad there are suckers out there supporting this guy.
04-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #24

I posed a question for the 'Precision Super Program' asking about it's 'precision assembly', and for clarification about the horrors of melting vintage lenses...- The reply...

All of the moving parts of any lens (with the exception of the aperture mechanism) have this lubricant. Even in slight temperature increases, this lubrication can flood the aperture mechanism. Any older classical camera mechanic can tell you this. You are writing about 100 degree temperatures, but this isn't the temperature inside the house where you store the optical equipment. Therefore, you haven't come across this issue. This becomes a problem for many lenses bought when it is hot outside, such as at yard sales and swap-marts. No cameras or lenses are immune to being overheated.
In regards to the precision assembly of any camera, it is determined by the technical documents of the factory (technology, blueprints, and other documents). By profession I am a mechanical and optical engineer. I was able to have access to some of these documents.

And about the Sport ME - "When was the event in Germany where you found this? Were there any other special models there you are aware of?"

This was a special technical consulting show in Germany, not one for buying and selling. This show was for those specializing in optical devises. I was attending for my profession. I was on very good terms with the organizers of the show and some of the company representatives. They also knew that I was a fanatic at collecting photo equipment. So they made an exception for me and sold me not only this camera but some other cameras and lenses (GEOPOL; SPECTR; PENTAX GUN-CAMERA; PENTAX MV1 ELECTRONIC; OLYMPUS OM PC-DL; OLYMPUS 35RC 8 SPEED EDITION; PANORAMIC CAMERAS and.....) that I have never seen anywhere else. In my 48 years of collecting, I've had many of these happenings. Please understand, that within the scope of this auction, it is very difficult for me to describe how I acquired these pieces and created my collection.

So, don't use your lenses outside in summer. And keep your eye out for those rare Pentax Gun-Cameras.
04-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax gun-camera

The pentax gun-camera is well known.

Source:
Gun camera
Attached Images

04-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just think of the money this guy could make selling homemade one-off Leica special editions!

Chris
04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
The pentax gun-camera is well known.

Source:
Gun camera
That's the point. I'd truly like to see him fake that one..
04-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Just think of the money this guy could make selling homemade one-off Leica special editions!

Chris
I was thinking the same thing. He probably has a closet full of FEDs just waiting for the Luftwaffe treatment or maybe even a little GOLD plating!

Steve
04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It appears that the ebay auctions are some what stuck at $152.50 and $1.25. The folks holding the $152.50 might just get stuck with this extremely "rare" camera/lens. I searched google again and came across this thread from 2008. Why it did not come up previously - I don't know.....It appears that the claimed capabilities of the red SMC lens has morphed a bit in the last few years. The ebay listings are not near the $975 and $750 craigslist prices he apparently desires.

So, these two camera/lens combinations, the one sold down in Oz, and possibly the one back in 2008, which makes 3 bodies and 4 lenses that have these "rare" qualities. I wonder how many are actually out there and when they might appear in the market again?

04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It amazes me how some people can dream these things up. In case anyone feels bad about not seeing a real rarity after looking at this thread, here is a camera from my collection: note the spelling of the name on the front prisim housing!