Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax ME Sport Limited - Prototype & Red SMC 50/f2 Lens

I stumbled across what was identified as a Pentax ME Sport Limited Prototype - a ME body with a red imprinted AOCo emblem on the Pentaprism housing. The shutter release and rewind also had (appears to be original) very different assemblies for anti shake release. It also had a red SMC Pentax-A 50mm f2 lens, that is suppose to denote the best clear and color reproduction of the lens line.

Anyone ever hear of this before?

04-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'd love to see a photo of this.

Chris
04-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'd love to see a photo of this.

Chris
You can Chris. The camera was mentioned in a previous post by another user:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/57517-introduc...ml#post1900174
From what I can tell, the seller has taken a few liberties with a red lacquer pen and cobbled on a few parts from other, non-Pentax cameras. You might also be interested in another post featuring a camera from the same craigslist seller:
PENTAX SUPER PROGRAM GOLD-PLATED EMBLEM PRECISION
...also with the very special RED Pentax-A 50/2!

Steve
04-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, disgusting. Reminds me of when I was 5 and I was playing with my toys, pretending them to be various things.

04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Lets see who buys it. Or can ebay be warned that it is fake?
04-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Lets see who buys it. Or can ebay be warned that it is fake?
It is on craigslist...free online advertising with few, if any, rules.

Steve
04-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

But it is on ebay as well.
04-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Lens Buying Addict

I saw both of these cameras offered many years ago (like 2006) on eBay. Fortunately I had some collector friends who warned me off.

04-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

It's real easy to put a little red paint in those engraved markings.
That vintage A-P emblem was probably pried off an old eveready case.

Were the OP a new member I'd suspect the old "pump and dump" routine, Paul...

Chris
04-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Were the OP a new member I'd suspect the old "pump and dump" routine...
No, its not mine, and certainly not pumping and dumping - there was an interest as to the difference (if any) in the red SMC markings, since I had never read anything about something like that in any of the lens databases - here or elsewhere (i.e., Bojidar). My old film spotmatic acquired in 1970 in the Canal Zone does just fine, and the premium for lens is astronomical..... that's why I didn't post the link.

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-08-2012 at 07:02 PM.
04-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I saw both of these cameras offered many years ago (like 2006) on eBay. Fortunately I had some collector friends who warned me off.
Or the same seller running the same scam. I remember the earlier camera/lens as well.

Steve
04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I came across them the other day, too... I thought they looked a bit suspicious- especially that ugly gold emblem on the Super Program.

PENTAX ME SPORT LIMITED EXTREMALLY RARE PROTOTIPE | eBay
PENTAX SUPER PROGRAM GOLD-PLATED EMBLEM PRECISION | eBay
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I came across them the other day, too... I thought they looked a bit suspicious- especially that ugly gold emblem on the Super Program.

PENTAX ME SPORT LIMITED EXTREMALLY RARE PROTOTIPE | eBay
PENTAX SUPER PROGRAM GOLD-PLATED EMBLEM PRECISION | eBay
Yep as Chris indicated, the emblem off an eveready case and superglue!

Phil.
04-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Q: Sorry for asking about the shipping cost earlier. I was finally able to see the shipping price once I put this camera on my Wish List. Now my question is why is the shipping cost so high? Apr-07-12
A: Hello, I am sorry that I didnít respond right away but I was not at my computer. I choose the shipping type which is most reliable as well as most safe for the item I am shipping. My shipping costs depend on the following: 1. There is a very large climate difference between Arizona and other US states. It can be hot in Arizona even in the winter. The temperature in the the Post Office where packages are kept is not suited for storing photo equipment. By sending the item via Priority Mail for domestic mail or Express Mail International for International mail, the item spends minimal time at the Post Office and in transit. This is most important for collectible items that I am selling. 3. Shipping insurance is required for all of my items with a value greater than $50 4. Delivery confirmation is required for all domestic mail. 5. All of the rings from older lenses have a thick lubrication which allow the rings to turn smoothly and softly. Even in slight overheating, this lubrication will become liquid, can flood the aperture and shutter mechanisms and can even leak out of the lens. Because of this, I make special packaging. My packaging is resistant to humidity, sharp temperature changes, and protects the package from strong hits. 6. I sell rare and collectible items from my personal collection in excellent working and cosmetic condition. Some of these items only exist in small quantities and were very expensive to acquire. Therefore, saving on shipping will not only cost me quite a bit, but will also be costly for you since you will lose a rare item. Thank you
This guy is unbelievable.
04-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I wonder.... is it at all possible to take a camera out-door? It might be to cold, or to humid.. And the oil in the lens might burst and explode in the lens. Do they make humidors for cameras?

Edit:
Wow, 4 are actually bidding :-)

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 04-09-2012 at 04:15 AM.