Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA lenses on ME Super?

Hello everyone! Been eyeing this mint ME Super selling locally for just around $50. Just curious though, as I read that it can support Aperture Priority... Does it mean I can use DA lenses on the ME Super? Sure they won't AF but I'm looking for at least adjusting the aperture in-camera. If not... well time to pump up the K/M/A LBA.

04-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi there.

SMC Pentax-DA lenses are optimized for use with Pentax Digital SLRs. They cannot be used on film because they only cover the APS-C image circle. So no, you will get problems using a DA on the ME Super :-)
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can't really use DA lenses on a ME Super because they will always be set to their minimum aperture (F22 or F32) when shooting.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Minimally, you'll need an A-series film SLR. Even then, you'd experience severe vignetting with most DA lenses- so classic lenses are the way to go

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
APS-C lenses generally dont go well on FF bodies, but you can get the odd paring which produces interesting results. The Sigma DC 10-20mm on a FF body without the lend hood on gives quite nice fish-eye effects at 10mm.

The major issue is the lack of aperture rings on most APS-C lenses (except for Sigma where many lenses still have them). Unless you have a camera like the PZ1 where you can control the aperture from the body, you have a problem.

The older film bodies are jewels and great fun to use and learn on.

04-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Minimally, you'll need an A-series film SLR. Even then, you'd experience severe vignetting with most DA lenses- so classic lenses are the way to go
Ah, I was thinking on the line of like the DA 35 2.4 (which a lot say is compatible with the old 35mm). So even with such a lens, I'll only be able to shoot fully stopped down? btw, thanks for that chart. Kinda forgot about it

QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
The major issue is the lack of aperture rings on most APS-C lenses (except for Sigma where many lenses still have them). Unless you have a camera like the PZ1 where you can control the aperture from the body, you have a problem.
This is what I'm afraid of - if I can't adjust aperture thru the camera, then even with FF-compatible DA lenses then I'm afraid only my FA's and M's will work on it.
04-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
So even with such a lens, I'll only be able to shoot fully stopped down?
Yup, that's right. No dice without an aperture ring on M and K bodies. The chart should indicate what lenses do and do not work with each camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see, got it. Thanks for the help!

04-11-2012, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

As Adam sayd, you need a A-Series minimum body to be able to control aperture with lens with no aperture ring (like FAJ or DA series lens). Even then, some A-Series or later bodies won't allow all exposure modes. For instance, flagship MZ-S won't allow aperture priority mode (it will however allow shutter priority mode, so you can indirectly control aperture by controling shutter speed - that's what I do, with no problem). Z1-p (PZ-1p) in my opinion is the best option you have to use these lens, wich also include third party full frame capable modern lens with no aperture ring (like my Tamron 70-200/2.8) - since Pentax no longer produces any bodies that are unable to control aperture, third party manufacturers stoped producing lens with aperture ring.

Also, I find this topic extremely usefull to check full frame coverage of DA lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens...ts-thread.html

Last edited by Hertizel; 04-11-2012 at 03:19 AM.