Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Mz-50/zx-50

Can someone please confirm that this camera expose correctly with A, F, FA or DFA lenses when the aperture is set on A.

Someone is saying and i quote.
QuoteQuote:
Your camera has a lens mount called a "crippled KAF mount." This means you need SMC Pentax FAJ lenses. It will work with non-FAJ lenses if (1) the lens in question has an "A" setting, and (2) the "A" setting is engaged; however, a non-FAJ lens will only work in AV and M modes. You really want the FAJ lenses, that will work in all modes.
i say
QuoteQuote:
1) is correct but 2) isn't
The only difference between FA and FAJ is that FA has an aperture ring so it works on older cameras as well, FAJ does not have an aperture ring so it's always in Auto aperture so you need a camera that support that.

If you put A, F, FA or DFA in Auto aperture it will function precisely the same as an FAJ lens so there is no advantage into only buying or looking for FAJ lens, it does not give you anything extra. And yes i'm 100% sure these lenses work in Tv mode if set on auto aperture.
he
QuoteQuote:
If you read the overview and the rest of the page in that second link, it says the same thing I said in (2), that the A setting has to be engaged. It also says that her camera will underexpose by two stops if a non-FAJ lens does not have a fixed aperture.
So can someone please that have actually used a MZ-50/ZX-50 help me out.

04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

From Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount

Compatibility Issues:Bodies in this group are usable with all non-FAJ lenses only when the aperture ring is set to "A". Setting the aperture ring away from "A" renders all lenses virtually unusable. The FAJ lenses lack an aperture ring and thus appear to be permanently stuck in the "A" setting. This means that they are unusable on bodies capable of only M and Av operation. With most other bodies, the FAJ lenses allow Tv and P operation. The FAJ lenses are fully compatible with all bodies capable of setting the aperture. To the last group belong all Z/PZ bodies as well as all bodies featuring the "crippled" KAF mount.

...which indicates your opening statement/question is correct - the camera will work.
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I provided him that link in what i said and his last quote was his response to that (no idea where he read that though), it even says so in the manual but it seems he's really stubborn.

So i want a hard yes from someone that have used the camera.
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I provided him that link in what i said and his last quote was his response to that (no idea where he read that though), it even says so in the manual but it seems he's really stubborn.

So i want a hard yes from someone that have used the camera.
I had one.

Yes, it does expose correctly with the aperture set to A. It is designed mostly for A use as the dominant mode.

04-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MZ-50 works just like any other AF era film SLR. Only the MZ-60 was stripped down the the point where it wouldn't support A lenses.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I had one.

Yes, it does expose correctly with the aperture set to A. It is designed mostly for A use as the dominant mode.
Ditto here. I had one, I have used it with A/FA/DA lenses. It was always exposing correctly.
04-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all =]