Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Taking my ZX7 out for a spin

Hello,

For months I've been wanting to go out and test my "new" ZX-7. This camera was built between 1999 and 2001 so I consider it quite modern. Controls and general use are similar to a DSLR. I found it to be easy to use, modern, light and very competent. Of my 3 ZX/MZ bodies (MZ60, ZX10 y ZX7) this is the best one.
These cameras were born in tough times as the digital revolution was spreading like wildfire. So many of these were left behind with little or no use. You can pick them up fairly cheap in mint condition.
I have an FA 28-80 that is shared between them. That was a common kit lens with the series.
The FG grip is also shared between the three. It allows using AAs instead of the more expensive CR2.

Finally had the time to take it out during Easter holidays.

Body: ZX7 with FG grip
lens: FA28-80
Film:Walgreens ASA 200
Process: commercial C-41 (Walgreens)
Negatives scanned at home using Epson 2400 and Vuescan

The panorama mode is interesting.

I really enjoyed using this camera. It is a different and enjoyable experience. Feels like a missing link between a DSLR and MF bodies... Wait! It IS
I tested a DA 18-55 DSLR kit lens with it and I'll open a new thread for that.

Conclusion: I'm having fun!

Thanks,

04-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ismael, nice series on Easter. I sing at the RC Cathedral here in Hartford, so there were a lot of great photo ops and as I was engaged as a musician, I didn't have the freedom to shoot any of them. Managed to get some shots with my new K5 after all the festivities were over. Thanks for posting these shots. I have a ZX-5n which takes lovely photos, but it's not my favorite film camera to shoot. I somehow feel more "responsible" for the resulting photos with my manual focus bodies. (Funny thing is that I don't feel the same way using my AF DSLRs, but who said photography had to be logical <g>).

Best,
Kevin
04-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you for posting the lovely camera portraits and results - these cameras are worth while to save and use, despite their being probably at the low point of esteem these days. Maybe they will be future semi-classics
04-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep the MZ-7 is a fine body... Mine lives in my camera bag with the K-x and sees lots of use and lens changes...
If I'm just 'going out' I grab a MF 35mil slr but if I'm going somewhere with the express purpose of photography the MZ-7 sees as much use as the K-x...

04-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I picked up a ZX-7 with the 28-80 and 80-320 for $50 a few years ago. I put some film in it this year, also put some film in my 25 year old K1000. It'll be interesting to see how the pictures come out.
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just had one of these given to me this evening. I have lots of Pentax film bodies but this is my first modern one. It came with the FA 28-80/3.5 lens and hood. The batteries are dead so I'll have to get new ones. My real interest lies in medium format film cameras rather than small format (135) but I may take it for a spin just to see how it works. Your samples certainly look very nice!
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had a zx5 for a few years and I really like it. I am supposed to meet up with a person in Denver who has a ZX-7 for sell. Hopefully I will be coming back home with it this weekend.

Any idea of where I can find the FG grip?

Thanks
Jim
12-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
I have had a zx5 for a few years and I really like it. I am supposed to meet up with a person in Denver who has a ZX-7 for sell. Hopefully I will be coming back home with it this weekend.

Any idea of where I can find the FG grip?

Thanks
Jim
I found one on ebay recently for just $9 plus shipping. It looks new and works perfectly.

If you're patient, you'll likely find one similarly priced.

cheers,
Fred

12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
I found one on ebay recently for just $9 plus shipping. It looks new and works perfectly.

If you're patient, you'll likely find one similarly priced.

cheers,
Fred
Thanks I will keep my eyes open on ebay.

Jim
12-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I picked up 5 packages of Walgreen 200 last year. I wonder who made these films (Fujifilm?). I also have a MZ-7 which I replaced the mirror motor. I use MZ-5N more often because I like its pentaprism viewfinder and spot metering.

Last edited by violini; 12-16-2012 at 12:22 PM.