Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with Zorki rangefinder

Hi, a friend just gave me a Zorki 2-C from 1958 which was her grandfather's, I believe, to look at it and maybe clean it and put it into order if I can. Functionally, it is very much like the Zenit E, just that it has a rangefinder. Please note that this is the first time when I put my hands on such a camera. I will take pictures of it later. For now, I would like to know what can usually go wrong with these and what can I do to get it working. I have opened its bottom and the film spool went out as well, this is normal I suppose, but just wanted to make sure. Bear with me, I've never used a rangefinder before. I already figured out how to use it, but it has a slow second curtain at slow speeds (1/25 and B). What should I do to remedy this? Thanks for reading.

04-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

These copied the original Leica format from 1925 with the removable baseplate and film spool for loading. Proper loading is difficult unless you use "long leader" film, as today's short leader film will catch on the top film rail as you try and push the film uner the pressure plate. The leader needs to be extended to about 4" long. Leica and others used to make templates for cutting the correct shape film leader, but you can freehand the cut once you are familiar with the shape. (The Leica templates sell used from $50-$150 due to collectors...)
I've seen shutter curtains damaged from people trying to force short-leader film into the camera, and buckling the edge of the film into the shutter.
The slow speeds run from the tension of the closing curtain. Usually problems are from dried lubricants gumming up the works, and sometimes simply working the shutter a lot can free it up, but often a CLA of the shutter is needed. I wish a CLA could un-gum MY works as well...
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cutting Leica Leader and Leica film loading
04-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks with that, very important to know so I won't mess up when I insert film in it. But until then, I disassembled the camera to see what I can do with the shutter. I made a video showing exactly how it acts at 1/50 [which is OK] and at 1/25 [where it does the slow rear curtain thing]. I spread some lighter fluid on the thing and it worked for 5 minutes maybe, but then it started again.
Also, what are these 3 little things? They simply fell out when I dismounted the camera. I suppose (and hope) that the grey thing is an old piece of film, but the other two copper pieces have a role which I apparently do not understand.

04-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, looks like a piece of film. The two metal bits - are they springs for the pressure plate?

I think there are some rollers at the bottom of the shutter that need cleaning - and after you research it for the right type of lubricant, lubed.
04-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think this is true of Zorkis as well as FEDs: only change the shutter speed after you have wound the film on. As I have long wound the film on automatically after taking a shot, this isn't something I worry about too much myself, but different people have different habits.

K.
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a cool gift! It looks to be in pretty good condition except for the lazy shutter. That is repairable. There are numerous online references, but rangefinderforum.com is a good place to post for advice. They have a number of stickies in the FSU camera area including this one on Zorki/FED shutter adjustment: HOW TO: FED & Zorki Curtain tension. - Rangefinderforum.com. There is a lot of good general information there.

Also:

home

English Manual for Repair Zorki FED Leica Camera.

FED and Zorki

Topics - The Classic Camera Repair Forum

Enjoy!!!

Steve
04-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the links, maybe I haven't looked enough, but I can't seem to find instructions exactly for my problem, which is slow shutter speed mechanism. I would like to fiddle with the camera further as little as possible, because it wouldn't be nice if I broke something.