Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of FF and lens hoods.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok, I just botched half the shots from my first roll of film in a very long time, (testing the new K1000) It seems the 35mm end of my 35-105 is WAY too wide for the lens hood that I always used before with it on APSC. I coulda sworn it was listed as compatible with this focal length when I bought it, but they either meant for use with APSC or I just remember wrong since this is so bad its almost like looking through a tube at the image. I had a haze filter on behind the hood which may have made things worse, but its nice for keeping crap off the lens and has made it easy to clean through several "incidents".

Which makes me glad I didn't buy any more hoods yet, and wonder how to properly shop for them when most places don't list them correctly or completely.

I never used lens hoods when I used to shoot film, but back then I only had this 35-105 and the 50mm and I didn't really know what I was doing anyways.

I plan to get this hood: Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video for my 50mm since if its designed specifically for that I assume it would be free of vignetting even on a full frame camera, but then again it doesn't actually specify that. I was told this lens does better with a hood for sharpness. I could get the square one I suppose if its necessary for proper corner lighting, but it costs twice as much and would be much more irritating to pack, plus I like the extra insurance of having rubber all around the end of my lens.

At what focal length is a hood worthless? My 24mm end of my 24-50 would have to have such a wide hood that it wouldn't actually block anything at all near as I can see.

My 70-210 has its built in hood, but do I need to retract that at 70mm some? I stupidly didn't test it yet on FF film and it seems to be an awfully deep and narrow hood.

This will take at least a full roll to test thoroughly, sometimes the lack of ability to chimp every shot can be a real pain in the ass.

04-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did exactly the same thing with my 35-105. I had put a deeper hood on it when I went digital and totally forgot about it being too deep when I used the lens with my film camera. Luckily, I didn't have as much vignetting as you seemed to have had. Back in the film days, I used a collapsible rubber hood on this lens and I think it was one designed for mild wide angles, if I remember right. Regarding the hood on your 70-210, if it was a lens designed for FF, you shouldn't have to worry about retracting it when you use the lens at 70mm.

Edited to add: I just noticed that your 70-210 is a Pentax...so yeah, you should be fine with the built-in hood regardless of whether you're shooting film or digital.
04-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should always use the Pentax hood designed for a specific MF Pentax lens if you can find it. These hoods were always designed for FF, so there will be no vignetting issues on a film camera.

I also have the A35-105 and it uses Pentax RH-B 70mm push on rubber hood. I found mine on eBay.

For the M/A/F24-50 get a Pentax RH-RC 58mm screw-on or RH-B 60mm push on rubber hood. Also found mine on eBay.

Phil.
04-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
After reviewing the photos I was dramatizing just a bit in saying it was like a tube, its just the corners majorly hacked off, it doesn't actually connect.

Do push on's also tend to become pop off's? I tend to get very distracted looking for shots and might not notice. (I have walked into more than my share of street signs, support cables, and anything with the word "pole" in it.)

I did manage to find a RH-RC for sale, so that is good for 24mm without darkening the corners?
Lets hope so, I just bought it. I figured even if its wrong I can just resell it and $21 for a NOS one shipped isn't bad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400278117143?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Also does the tiny distance a filter behind the hood adds cause a problem with these?

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-14-2012 at 08:30 PM.
04-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
After reviewing the photos I was dramatizing just a bit in saying it was like a tube, its just the corners majorly hacked off, it doesn't actually connect.

Do push on's also tend to become pop off's? I tend to get very distracted looking for shots and might not notice. (I have walked into more than my share of street signs, support cables, and anything with the word "pole" in it.)

I did manage to find a RH-RC for sale, so that is good for 24mm without darkening the corners?
Lets hope so, I just bought it. I figured even if its wrong I can just resell it and $21 for a NOS one shipped isn't bad.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Also does the tiny distance a filter behind the hood adds cause a problem with these?
No issues using the RH-RC 58mm on my M24-50/4, same with the RH-B 60mm. I also always use a filter when I shoot.
The push on hoods are tight and have not come off anytime that I have usd them.

Phil.
04-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K1000 - like most SLRs - doesn't quite show the full frame, so you can get surprizes like this with hoods, especially if used with a filter also.
Vigneting corners also usually shows up more when stopped down, and since your lens is wide-open looking through the viewfinder, that can hide this problem also.