Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
*ist was also the name of the last film camera marketed by Pentax. Go here> *ist
Hmmm... never heard of this prior to now. Was this camera marketed in North America?

Looks like a plastic body.

12-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

yeah i believed it was sold in NA
claim to fame was smallest or lightest AF slr
it's a bit of a step up from the ZX-L but it has the crippled K-mount
12-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Hmmm... never heard of this prior to now. Was this camera marketed in North America?

yes it was, and k100d is correct, it was claimed by Pentax to be the worlds smallest 35mm AF SLR.
12-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I wonder when the last time Pentax actually marketed anything in the U.S. other than a little in California and a little in NY. There was a Canon guy at the park the other day and came up to me and said, "I thought Pentax went out of business 15 years ago?" "Then he asked how many mp?" I told him 14.6 and it was weather sealed and he left in a hurry.

12-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I wonder when the last time Pentax actually marketed anything in the U.S. other than a little in California and a little in NY. There was a Canon guy at the park the other day and came up to me and said, "I thought Pentax went out of business 15 years ago?" "Then he asked how many mp?" I told him 14.6 and it was weather sealed and he left in a hurry.
No offence but that seems like a bit of a yarn!

First, the Canon representative most likely knows the local Pentax rep. (in this industry they know each other).

Second, he/she has nothing to fear from Pentax. Why wouldn't the rep. bother to tell you about the Canon 50D before leaving in a hurry. The 50D has, at least, a million more pixels, ISO sensitivity of up to 12000 (yes, twelve thousand), and a huge number of other patented/pending innovations.

The Canon rep 'left in a hurry'... probably to celebrate that Pentax is still playing catch up.

Hey, don't get me wrong.... I am liking my new K20D but I am also realistic and I know where it stands with the other big(ger) three, namely Nikon, Canon, and Olympus.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 12-18-2008 at 09:08 AM.
12-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter

No offence but that seems like a bit of a yarn!

He didn't even bother to tell you about the Canon 50D before he left in a hurry. The 50D has, at least, a million more pixels, ISO sensitivity of up to 12000 (yes, twelve thousand), and a huge number of other patented/pending innovations.

The Canon rep 'left in a hurry'... probably to celebrate that Pentax is still playing catch up.

Hey, don't get me wrong.... I am liking my new K20D but I am also realistic and I know where it stands with the other big(ger) three, namely Nikon, Canon, and Olympus.
I never said it was a canon rep. I said canon guy IN THE PARK. We never talked about either camera much. He was doing some abstract shooting and I was trying out the DA 55-300mm on some turtles. I don't even know what he was shooting with other than it was a Canon. You are assuming he was shooting with a 50D.

Do you make a habit of going around calling people liars? That is pretty funny coming from someone that just a few days ago thought the *ist was a dSLR.
12-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I never said it was a canon rep. I said canon guy IN THE PARK. We never talked about either camera much. He was doing some abstract shooting and I was trying out the DA 55-300mm on some turtles. I don't even know what he was shooting with other than it was a Canon. You are assuming he was shooting with a 50D.

Do you make a habit of going around calling people liars? That is pretty funny coming from someone that just a few days ago thought the *ist was a dSLR.
Sorry, I stand corrected. I clearly misread your message.

12-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, in terms of realistic, I'd rather have ISO 3200 I can shoot in a drizzle than the same name as a camera that can do 12000.... That isn't there. Then it's just me in a drizzle. Without even a fancypants camera I wouldn't want to take out of the bag, anyway.

And, yeah, I can get pretty decent monochromes out of my K20d at those 'no-promises here' higher ISO settings. It's no Tmax 3200, but it's probably pretty comparable to pushing the crap out of Tri-X.

The issue's always been more about *me* keeping up with *Canon.* If they'd cobbled up an old model 5d that'd take FD lenses, I'd probably just have been like, 'OK, this one thing I can save up the money for and drop it in a bag where the FTb with the slower or color film always went.' '
12-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Sorry, I stand corrected. I clearly misread your message.
No problem. We only have one Brick and mortar store here in Tallahassee. Those guys are very knowledgeable on their Nikon stuff and are pretty good on the Canon stuff and then it is a drop off. They do know about the k20d and k200d and like them they just only do Pentax on special order which is at msrp.
12-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

You know, if it's not too much like payola, Pentax really could do worse than put their products in the hands of store clerks. Or just *get the stuff in the stores.* I got my K20d pretty much sight-unseen on the Net, but when I walked into like a Ritz at one point and asked about Pentax, the clerk there was pretty enthusiastic, (maybe just about someone seeming to have some clue what they were looking for,) if maybe guarded, and, there was an exchange like, 'Why Pentax,' and I pulled out me slightly-rough F-1N with the bit of bicycle innertube on the winder and the even rougher-looking 85 1.8 and said, "I want to keep using *this.*"

I did get to handle a K200 there, and I figured if Pentax could make that little thing handle right, a K10 or whatever would be fine.

There's kind of a lot of pressure on photo retail these days, the place across town isn't stocking Pentax, but they do have Olympus.

Simple stuff like just getting their product in the stores would probably sell a lot of em.
12-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, in terms of realistic, I'd rather have ISO 3200 I can shoot in a drizzle than the same name as a camera that can do 12000.... That isn't there. Then it's just me in a drizzle. Without even a fancypants camera I wouldn't want to take out of the bag, anyway.
Well, even with the extra sealing, I am not sure I would test this outright; I would recommend coverage as usual. I am sure you are aware that one cannot take a good picture if the lens is wet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
And, yeah, I can get pretty decent monochromes out of my K20d at those 'no-promises here' higher ISO settings. It's no Tmax 3200, but it's probably pretty comparable to pushing the crap out of Tri-X.
Allow me to set the record straight on my opinion of Pentax K20D vs others. I purchased the K20D because I own several thousand in PK-type mount lenses. I purchased the K20D knowing full well that, in most respects, it will not out perform the equivalent in Canon (not sure about Nikon - but the latest does do HD video ). I am okay with this!

In normal lighting, the K20D is probably as good or better than the Canon 40D. Never mind what the ISO setting is, Canon ALWAYS trumps Pentax in picture quality at low light.
12-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I fail to see how Olympus falls into that category based on the cameras you are comparing. if anything it would be canon, nikon & sony. I also fail to see why you are even comparing your K20D with the other cameras after you have made a purchase. excuse me if I am incorrect but I get the feeling you are more interested in the technology and the gadgets than you are photography. I know that's only an assumption, but thats the feeling I get reading your posts. particularly since you are new here. I just do not see the point in continuously looking at your equipment and comparing it to other brands.

QuoteQuote:
In normal lighting, the K20D is probably as good or better than the Canon 40D. Never mind what the ISO setting is, Canon ALWAYS trumps Pentax in picture quality at low light.
that's opinion, nothing more. and ALWAYS is a very concrete term...
12-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #28

PZ-1(p), Not MZ-L

I skipped over the Pentax AF cameras. However, Its my understanding that the MZ-L is set up more like our digital Pentax dSLR cameras than any other Pentax AF film camera. I actually went from Pentax manual film to Nikon digital. I do have an EOS film body set up with a macro lens and ring light as well as a canon bellows.
There have been 2 comments in this thread about how the MZ-L has the closest interface to the current digital bodies...
Have either of you used a PZ-1 or PZ-1p? Two e-dials, just like the K10D. HyperProgram, just like the K10D. The MZ-L, PZ-1 and PZ-1p can control apeture from the body, the MZ-5n can not and must use lenses with apeture rings. You can slap your DA or FA-J lenses on either of the MZ-L, PZ-1 and PZ-1p bodies and have full control of apeture (image circle issues aside).
Bottom line is the PZ-1 and PZ-1p are the closest film bodies, in terms of user interface, to the current KxxDs.
12-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, even with the extra sealing, I am not sure I would test this outright; I would recommend coverage as usual. I am sure you are aware that one cannot take a good picture if the lens is wet.
I kinda like this one by hooppjs :

Reminds me of looking out a window, and seeing good weather outside. (And as I understod it, he was very happy with the effect of the droplets too)
From this thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-p-s-camera-discussion/32162-optio-w60-2.html

Regarding sealing, I’ve tested my K10 in extreme weather, had no problems.

And I would say that my 50/1.2 lens, has a beautiful rendering in low light. (A Pro friend of mine, using the Eos 5D; commended particularly on my 50/1.2 images at dusk in Kuala Lumpur, compared to some with my A-series 35/2.8 lens. He could easily spot the ones made with the fifty.)
So I would say that you can get some pretty good Image Quality in low light from Pentax. The super clean plastic look from high Iso on Canon, is not to my liking. I would much prefer the Nikon models instead.

(Also the trouble for me with C&N is that I cannot use a fast fifty at wide aperture; Iso 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/4 of a second).

Either way, I really don’t care much. Roentarre / James has a big selection in both Canon and Pentax. His Canon cameras don’t stop him from using his Pentax gear. Many simply buy Pentax because of the lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I fail to see how Olympus falls into that category based on the cameras you are comparing. if anything it would be canon, nikon & sony. I also fail to see why you are even comparing your K20D with the other cameras after you have made a purchase. excuse me if I am incorrect but I get the feeling you are more interested in the technology and the gadgets than you are photography. I know that's only an assumption, but thats the feeling I get reading your posts. particularly since you are new here. I just do not see the point in continuously looking at your equipment and comparing it to other brands.
Exactly, lately I’ve resided in this subforum, as I’ve gotten increasingly tired of the technicality discussions at DPr.

As my Z-1P had red veil LED focus assist light in the camera, I seldom encountered AF problems in low light.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-18-2008 at 04:11 PM.
12-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OMG! Why would any one want this model. No offence really.... but, IMHO, this was a terrible camera. Perhaps a good try for the time, but it was not that good.
If you never tried it, how can you say it so terrible ?

It is as easy as a K10D... So easy that I am always disapointed that nothing displays on the back after a shot...

AF is faster than K10D's and K20D's in low light...