Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #31
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,865
Pentax Film SLR Discussion?

Where am I? I thought this was "Pentax Film SLR Discussion"...

Chris

12-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #32
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
There have been 2 comments in this thread about how the MZ-L has the closest interface to the current digital bodies...
Have either of you used a PZ-1 or PZ-1p? Two e-dials, just like the K10D. HyperProgram, just like the K10D. The MZ-L, PZ-1 and PZ-1p can control apeture from the body, the MZ-5n can not and must use lenses with apeture rings. You can slap your DA or FA-J lenses on either of the MZ-L, PZ-1 and PZ-1p bodies and have full control of apeture (image circle issues aside).
Bottom line is the PZ-1 and PZ-1p are the closest film bodies, in terms of user interface, to the current KxxDs.
The problem with the statement would probably be the fact that there are differences in the digital bodies themselves regarding command location and dial locations. Case in point the K20d and the k200d. I do have both of those and they have similarities but also differences. I haven't owned a MZ-L but have looked at one and that would probably be the AF body I would go after based on the MZ-S prices. I can say that the MZ-L has W, HS, P-TTL, TTL, P, S with both digital and analog flash communication. Besides the MZ-L, only the MZ-S and *ist have those.

Inever said the PZ-1p was a bad camera. Nor did I say a damn thing about the MZ-5n so I don't know where that came from.
12-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
There have been 2 comments in this thread about how the MZ-L has the closest interface to the current digital bodies...
Have either of you used a PZ-1 or PZ-1p? Two e-dials, just like the K10D. HyperProgram, just like the K10D. The MZ-L, PZ-1 and PZ-1p can control apeture from the body, the MZ-5n can not and must use lenses with apeture rings. You can slap your DA or FA-J lenses on either of the MZ-L, PZ-1 and PZ-1p bodies and have full control of apeture (image circle issues aside).
Bottom line is the PZ-1 and PZ-1p are the closest film bodies, in terms of user interface, to the current KxxDs.

I have to agree with Felix here.

Although I am a new Pz-1p owner, one week today actually, it is as close to the K10D as I could imagine.

I've only had a chance to run one roll of film through it (just to confirm it works), but I was amazed at how similar the functions are between the two cameras (K10D and PZ-1P).

The Pzip does one better then the K10D. It has a proper aperture coupling in the mount. It allows K and M lenses to be used as intended. They do not require stop down metering. It also has the famed panerama feature. Wow. easily the best feature in any camera I have ever used. OK. I lie. Its a goofy gimic, but I did try it out!

The Pz-1p feels like the K10D in size shape and weight. I Really enjoyed using it, and strangly enough, I no longer consider it the ugliest camera Pentax ever made.
12-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #34
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Where am I? I thought this was "Pentax Film SLR Discussion"...

Chris
It is. The comparison of the MZ-L, PZ-1p, MZ-S and *ist interface compared to the digital bodies came up.

12-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #35
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I have to agree with Felix here.

. . .
Fine but Felix took my post out of context. Read my response. I originally said it was my understanding about the MZ-L's interface. That was based on my examination of one in a shop and reviews. Also, there are more variations in digital bodies as well so as a pointed out in my response to Felix's post, I guess it boils down to which film body is being compared to which digital body.
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Fine but Felix took my post out of context. Read my response. I originally said it was my understanding about the MZ-L's interface. That was based on my examination of one in a shop and reviews. Also, there are more variations in digital bodies as well so as a pointed out in my response to Felix's post, I guess it boils down to which film body is being compared to which digital body.

Sorry Blue,

I didn't intend to say you are wrong. But that is how my comment comes off. It wasn't my intent.

The main point I was trying to agree with is that the Pz-1p is for the most part a film version of the K10D/K20D.

I had a look at a MZ-L manual and to me it looks like a film version of the K100D. I'm looking at scene modes, single selector switch (like the fwd e-dial), and the lack of hyper-program modes. I might have missed the hyper-program details in the manual though.

*getting back on the fence*

12-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #37
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Sorry Blue,

I didn't intend to say you are wrong. But that is how my comment comes off. It wasn't my intent.

The main point I was trying to agree with is that the Pz-1p is for the most part a film version of the K10D/K20D.

I had a look at a MZ-L manual and to me it looks like a film version of the K100D. I'm looking at scene modes, single selector switch (like the fwd e-dial), and the lack of hyper-program modes. I might have missed the hyper-program details in the manual though.

*getting back on the fence*

That would be a good matrix to fill out. Which film body closely matches the various digital bodies. Anyway, Felix made some valid points about the PZ-1P. I think we have figured out that comparing any of the later film AF to any of the digital bodies depends on A the film body and B the digital body.
12-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Well, even with the extra sealing, I am not sure I would test this outright; I would recommend coverage as usual. I am sure you are aware that one cannot take a good picture if the lens is wet.
Well, on the lens, that's what big lens hoods and keeping the lens down when not shooting are for. Still, there's a big difference between the kind of reasonable precautions you'd take with an old-school film camera in various circumstances, and the utter paranoia of a stray drop getting in and frying the camera, which one might otherwise have to cope with in an un-sealed digital.

The only time I've actually stood in a rainstorm or something with an un-protected camera was this time I borrowed a Nikonos to cover a storm.

Better high-iso performance is lovely, is all I was saying, but it's not doing any good if you can't afford it or take it out in the dark.

Since film's important to me, too, there's some things that make EOS less attractive to me: no old metal film bodies, and one wonders what it'll be like to keep in film bodies when the electronic ones start to fail from age, as electronic things do.

You can have Nikon, too, of course, but you have to lay out a lot initially for the privilege of really using the old glass, (which is still pricey, if worth it) so Pentax makes a nice way to keep film alive, at least if you'd have to buy more glass anyway.

12-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #39
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 281
It's All in the Wheels!

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The problem with the statement would probably be the fact that there are differences in the digital bodies themselves regarding command location and dial locations. Case in point the K20d and the k200d. I do have both of those and they have similarities but also differences. I haven't owned a MZ-L but have looked at one and that would probably be the AF body I would go after based on the MZ-S prices. I can say that the MZ-L has W, HS, P-TTL, TTL, P, S with both digital and analog flash communication. Besides the MZ-L, only the MZ-S and *ist have those.

Inever said the PZ-1p was a bad camera. Nor did I say a damn thing about the MZ-5n so I don't know where that came from.
I am not trying to be an "a-hole" here, just my opinion. Yes, the MZ-L has one adjustment mechanisim, just like the K100D/K200D and a bunch of scene modes as well. The PZ series have 2 e-wheel like the K10D/K20D. Point taken.
To me, if we are talking about the interface of the camera, the most important aspect (to me at least) is how apeture and shutter speed are selected. With this in mind, I feel that the PZ series is more like all of the current digital bodies because they all use an e-wheel.
In terms of technology, yes, the MZ-L has more of the same features, especially in terms of flash automation. Of course, the PZips have a 1/250th flash synch speed, 4.5 fps, and somehow the autofocus seems much faster than the MZ-L that I had (faster than my K100D too). They are both great film bodies but I sold the MZ-L and still have the PZip.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax film
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did Pentax ever made a WR film body? ismaelg Pentax Film SLR Discussion 6 03-27-2010 07:34 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ME Film Body - $15 O.B.O. heliphoto Sold Items 5 09-19-2009 07:32 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ZX-M film body heatherslightbox Sold Items 12 08-02-2009 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top