Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Pentax Spotmatic F - I'm completly lost

I've never used any analog camera older than 2004 Konica Minolta which is pretty automatic. I've managed to put the film on and now don't know what next. I've read the manual but I find it almost completly useless.

I got ASA to 200 like the ISO of my movie, I got the shutter speed to 150, I pulled the rapid wind layer and shoot - and I guess that's it, but many things still concerns me.

1. What is this button next to a lens with the arrow pointing up? Manual says it's the stop down lever but I don't see the use of it.
2. Where does it shows how many photos I've taken? Is it the number on the right side of the camera?
3. My mirror does not come down after I take the photo, it is as if something is holding it. I need to unscrew lens and do it manually every single time. How to fix it easily or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for any answers.

Last edited by Mendewesz; 04-19-2012 at 10:16 AM.
04-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. To set the correct exposure you need to make sure the needle in the viewfinder is in the middle of the two indicators, basically horizontal not pointing up or down. With S-M-C or SMC Takumar lenses you just adjust the shutter speed and/or the aperture until the needle is in the correct place. With earlier lenses (i.e., Super Takumars etc) you need to use the stop down button to close the aperture on the lens at which point you adjust the exposure. This button will automatically disengage when you take the photograph.

2. The number of images taken is the dial in the middle of the wind on lever.

3. It shouldn't do this. Sounds like the camera needs a repair / service.

4. Assuming you are in the US, send it to Eric Hendrickson.

K.
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
thank you very much for your answers, it looks like mechanism in mirror is unregulated so I'd have to repair it. I don't live in US and when I googled it the cost of this kind of stuff would be 2x bigger than the price of this camera, so I'll return it to the person who sold me it and try to get another model or brand.

Thanks again.
04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sadly the cost of service/repair to older cameras often does exceed their resale value but once done should give you many years of service.

K.

04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mendewesz Quote
......., so I'll return it to the person who sold me it and try to get another model or brand.

Thanks again.
Stay with Pentax ! It is all about the lenses
You could try for a K1000 which was the classic students camera. Has the bayonet lens mount of all the later glass.
Pete
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that with this particular body, the meter is active as long as the lens cap is off the lens. Put the lens cap on there when not in use or on immediate standby.

You can get a PDF copy of the manual here:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_spotmatic_f.pdf