Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Fungus, or other?

This here is a picture through the eyepiece of my other K1000. What say you? Fungus, or prism crap-out? And how, if at all, would this get fixed? IIRC, this one needed a light seal anyway. And it's not the lens, the lens is clear.

Last edited by tim plank; 04-23-2012 at 04:23 PM.
04-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

Demonic infestation?
04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

The fact that it's black and appears to be on the focus screen makes me think your mirror bumper foam turned to black goo and got splattered on the focus screen. If you have never inspected the mirror bumper foam just remove the lens and just behind the upper part of the mount will be a black thin foam strip running across the top of the mirror box in front of the focus screen. If you gently touch the foam it should spring back to shape, if it feels gooey or doesn't return to shape then it needs replaced. I'd post a pic of the mirror foam if I was in a position to do so.

Last edited by average-guy; 04-23-2012 at 05:18 PM.
04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not fungus. I agree it is probably part of the foam seal or some other junk stuck to the focusing screen.

04-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say that is prism desilvering.
04-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by average-guy Quote
The fact that it's black and appears to be on the focus screen makes me think your mirror bumper foam turned to black goo and got splattered on the focus screen. If you have never inspected the mirror bumper foam just remove the lens and just behind the upper part of the mount will be a black thin foam strip running across the top of the mirror box in front of the focus screen. If you gently touch the foam it should spring back to shape, if it feels gooey or doesn't return to shape then it needs replaced. I'd post a pic of the mirror foam if I was in a position to do so.
Like this? I guess I just need to pull it out of the box and send it in for a good servicing. It's an otherwise fully functional body

04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #7

Yea, your mirror foam has turned to goo, as bad as it looks I'm surprised the mirror isn't sticking momentarily when it flings up. It's very difficult to clean a focusing screen with all the microgrooves that it has, whoever you send it to will probably want to replace it. Speaking of sending it off, Erik Hendrikson of pentaxs.com is a former Pentax employee and one of the best Pentax serviceman out there, and his prices are reasonable too. I've had him overhaul cameras for me and he does outstanding work.

Edit: I see your new, welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions, almost everyone here is helpful in one way or another.

04-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gotcha, thanks for the info! Was kinda figuring on sending it off to him next time I had some spare cash. Then I can run one K1000 color, and one B&W