Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

Is it Possible to use an AF lens on an MF body?

I am a user of Old Manual Focus film cameras and lenses primarily. Typically manual lenses is all I purchase.
While taking a class and working on a side project recently, I found the need for fast super wide lenses and its nearly impossible to find old MF fast wide Zooms.
I was wondering is it possible to use something like a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 lens on a MF Body. I know a lens like that uses mechanical aperture connectors and has a Aperture ring but i do not know if it would focus. I think its a focus by wire and would not work., but i am not sure.

SO i am asking if there are any modern, high quality lenses that, even tho designed for AF K-mount bodies, would work and focus on old MF bodies; and what are they?

Also i am not interested in the slightest to purchase an AF K-mount Body, and i would rather not have a discussion on that, because i asked this question in other forums and never got an answer but lots and lots of comments on how I'm being stupid and should buy an AF body Or what AF body i should get... ect.... So I would rather not get hammered with that again, unless you want to Donate an AF film Body to me, then by all means tell me about it and send it.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and respond to me,
Dan

Last edited by Photo_Man_Dan; 04-26-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: does not need to be fast
04-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have non-AF K-mount K1000, MV-1 and ZX-M bodies and they can (and do) all use my AF-FF lenses: F35-70, FA50/1.4, FA100-300, Lil'Bigma 170-500, various Pentax+Sigma+Tamron AF zooms. No problem. DA's are a problem because of vignetting. Also, DA's lack aperture rings and so don't work on non-A-type bodies like the K1000 and MV-1. But any K-mount AF lens will mount on any K-mount body and will function within the limitations I mentioned.
04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As RioRico says, yes with some limitations. If you let us know what body you want to use we can tell you more about the limitations. And I notice your name is MinoltaDan so, do remember we are only speaking of Pentax k-mount. Other mounts do not always have the compatibility between MF and AF that Pentax does due to mount changes.

One thing to keep in mind is that AF lenses have focus rings, and throws designed for auto-focus. They still have the manual focus ring, but in some cases the throw is so short that it is difficult to focus precisely. This varies from lens to lens. Just something to look for before buying.
04-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They still have the manual focus ring, but in some cases the throw is so short that it is difficult to focus precisely. This varies from lens to lens. Just something to look for before buying.
that is the biggest caveat IMO, the other is older MF bodies will need an aperture ring in many cases or will only shoot wide open. And not all DA lenses will cover the image circle of 35mm film, though some do there are threads devoted to that

04-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that is the biggest caveat IMO, the other is older MF bodies will need an aperture ring in many cases or will only shoot wide open. And not all DA lenses will cover the image circle of 35mm film, though some do there are threads devoted to that
thats why I like my PZ1 aside from vignetting on some lenses, and typically this is at the short end of the focal length range on zooms, plus my 8mm fisheye, everything else works
04-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
thats why I like my PZ1 aside from vignetting on some lenses, and typically this is at the short end of the focal length range on zooms, plus my 8mm fisheye, everything else works
I agree the PZ1 is the most under rated of the Pentax cameras Lowell. I'm watching for a good one myself
04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

A couple of things not yet mentioned, there were some full frame AF lenses with the FAJ mount which don't have aperture rings and are of limited use on non-program cameras. Also some of the later standard zooms have quite small maximum apertures which can black-out the split image focus aid of the 'traditional' MF SLRs.
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MinoltaDan Quote
I was wondering is it possible to use something like a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 lens on a MF Body. I know a lens like that uses mechanical aperture connectors and has a Aperture ring but i do not know if it would focus. I think its a focus by wire and would not work., but i am not sure. . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have non-AF K-mount K1000, MV-1 and ZX-M bodies and they can (and do) all use my AF-FF lenses: F35-70, FA50/1.4, FA100-300, Lil'Bigma 170-500, various Pentax+Sigma+Tamron AF zooms. No problem. DA's are a problem because of vignetting. Also, DA's lack aperture rings and so don't work on non-A-type bodies like the K1000 and MV-1. But any K-mount AF lens will mount on any K-mount body and will function within the limitations I mentioned.
So, focusing on the lens I do not have to worry about it; I gather focusing would function fine with any AF lens (only the throw of the focus helicoid being a concern), and if it has the aperture ring too it will be fully functional without needing power or electrical connection like the focusing (vignetting aside).
Thank you Rico

And thank you everyone else for their responses..
When ever this question is asked I guess it can't be helped to get into a discussion of your favorite camera body.
Also to those that are concerned if I am aware of what forum I am posting in due to my account name, I appreciate your thoughtful reminder. I think tho that the name www.pentaxforums.com may have tipped me off

P.S. I didn't realize it mattered what manual K-mount body I was using, I assumed it was common sense that that all K-mount lenses (AF or not) would fit the Manual K-mount bodies, but for reference I use a Cosina C1 and a Kalimar K90 and have an assortment of 3rd party lenses for them.

Last edited by Photo_Man_Dan; 06-22-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: some grammar adjustments
04-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #9

The body itself is not important, but the type of mount it has effects the features a given lens will have. Your Cosina has a basic K mount so you need the aperture ring, other than that all lenses should fit and work OK (if the aperture ring has an 'A' setting make sure you select a numbered aperture instead). Most lenses with a 'D' in their name are likely to be for the APS-C format and cause vignetting on film. Some AF lenses now have MF/AF switches, it makes sense to turn the AF off.
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Brief summary:

* All non-DA (DFA, DAL, etc) PK lenses will fit and work on your basic K-mount camera.
* You must handle the lens to set the aperture and to focus manually.
* All such lenses with an aperture lever should work with auto-stop-down: set the f-stop; focus and aim with the lens wide-open; press the shutter, and the aperture stops down.
* Some lenses don't have that lever: T-mounts, mirrors, adapted lenses, some full-circle fisheyes, etc. Just preset the aperture, focus, and shoot.

Have fun!
04-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I assumed it was common sense that all K-mount lenses (AF or not) would fit the Manual K-mount bodies,
Dan, common sense is generally not very common. And it is always best to be sure the other party understands what you are saying. When I see someone with Minolta in their name and only a few posts, well it is best to be cautious. No offense intended, and welcome to the forum.

You might want to check out the film photography section, you might find some kindred souls there.
04-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I am aware that without an aperture ring on the lens the aperture cannot be manually adjusted. I figured that was common sense, but then I remember To me it may be common sense since I never touched an AF Film camera, but to others that grew up with AF film and Digital cameras, where camera body dials control aperture, it would not be so apparent . And yes I understand about lenses designed to cover the Double frame or Full Frame 24x36mm area and those designed to cover the APS-C sensor.

Thank you
Dan
I figured that would be the case (your screen name is a hint ) but a lot of people read threads and learn so better to make certain the bases are covered