Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mz-m

It seems that my MX needs repairs that are more costly than the body's initial price. Rather than coughing up more yen (yet again) to keep it running, I'm considering picking up a new MZ-M body instead. Can anyone here share some experiences with that camera?

09-19-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Michael

No experience here but just want to say that if you can and don't mind buying from US, you can get a 2nd-hand one from KEH (CookiesInstructions. I have bought from them many times before and no problems (I'm in Melb, Australia).

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for keh.com.

cheers
Kenny

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 01-10-2007 at 07:25 PM.
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
It seems that my MX needs repairs that are more costly than the body's initial price. Rather than coughing up more yen (yet again) to keep it running, I'm considering picking up a new MZ-M body instead. Can anyone here share some experiences with that camera?
I used to own a MZ-M. Didn't know you could still get them new, though!
It is a nice enough camera but probably a step down from a MX. It has a plastic mount, for example.
Unless you are a die-hard manual focus guy, and considering film bodies sell for cheap these days, I would recommend getting a better spec'ed AF body, for ex. a MZ-5n. I sold my MZ-M to get one of those and never looked back.

cyril.
09-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
It is a nice enough camera but probably a step down from a MX. It has a plastic mount, for example.
Unless you are a die-hard manual focus guy, and considering film bodies sell for cheap these days, I would recommend getting a better spec'ed AF body, for ex. a MZ-5n. I sold my MZ-M to get one of those and never looked back.

cyril.
Thanks, Cyril. I actually spotted the MZ-M on the Pentax Canada website, so I figure it must still be for sale (see http://www.pentax.ca/film/slr/mzm/index.php).

As for film bodies selling cheaply, I live in Tokyo where these things retain an unreal amount of value. Old used LX bodies with brassing etc go for $CA4000. Believe it! I'm actually considering ordering one on offer at vintage visuals (in Calgary) because they have one they claim is in good shape. But I'll hunt around for an MZ-5n as well.

09-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Hi Michael

No experience here but just want to say that if you can and don't mind buying from US, you can get a 2nd-hand one from KEH (http://www.keh.com). I have bought from them many times before and no problems (I'm in Melb, Australia).

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for keh.com.

cheers
Kenny
Thanks for the tip, Kenny. They certainly seem to have a lot of older cameras! Something tells me that this would be a better route than eBay....
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
As for film bodies selling cheaply, I live in Tokyo where these things retain an unreal amount of value. Old used LX bodies with brassing etc go for $CA4000. Believe it! I'm actually considering ordering one on offer at vintage visuals (in Calgary) because they have one they claim is in good shape. But I'll hunt around for an MZ-5n as well.
I guess you also tried KEH ? They seem to have some ZX-M for around 160$ (and a ZX-5n for $105 !).
I am amazed at the prices posted for these old manual focus bodies: $300 for a K1000 - come on !

Good luck on your quest !
01-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MZ-M experience

I own an MZ-M (ZX-M). I bought it on impulse new when my Super-A went in for service (1996 I think); I was afraid it wouldn't be back in time for my holiday.

Pentax UK's Web site lists only one film SLR IIRC - *ist as currently available.

The MZ-M has few advantages in my opinion over the Super-A, and several disadvantages:

Advantages:
  • weight
  • autowind (including continuous)

Disadvantages (include):
  • non-standard (Switch F ?) cable release socket
  • plastic lens mount
  • size
  • tacky standard lens A 35-80
  • numbers easily rub off the shutter speed dial

I would go for an older camera myself if I was looking for a film SLR at the moment. Super-A (Super program), or even ME-Super, if you can find one in good condition.

Simon

Last edited by Simon; 01-05-2007 at 03:46 AM.
01-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

I've purchased a few lenses from KEH as well. I feel that they are reliable and prompt. Their rating system too seems genuine.

If you're to go for used gear and don't want to get into unreliable route, go for KEH.

Disclaimer: I don't work for KEH either .
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote

cyril.
Hi,

I have a MZ-M, LX, Z1 and also had in the past the Spotmatic, ME Super, etc...

The MZ-M is one of my prefered camera its rieable( i have mine for some years without any problem), very small and ligth, very smoth work, very fast to manual focus, huge and brite viewfider( iīm a LX user and mine have the new 60 Series focousing screen and the MZ-M is not to far), DOF - Electric buton, good fotometer, etc...

I use mine with the FA 43 Limited a fantastic point and shoot combo.

Also regarding the plastic mount, it may bee a drowback but after this all yearīs playing with myne i havenīt got any problem regarding this.

Regards,
Pedro
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pspentax Quote
Hi,

I have a MZ-M, LX, Z1 and also had in the past the Spotmatic, ME Super, etc...

The MZ-M is one of my prefered camera its rieable( i have mine for some years without any problem), very small and ligth, very smoth work, very fast to manual focus, huge and brite viewfider( iīm a LX user and mine have the new 60 Series focousing screen and the MZ-M is not to far), DOF - Electric buton, good fotometer, etc...

I use mine with the FA 43 Limited a fantastic point and shoot combo.

Also regarding the plastic mount, it may bee a drowback but after this all yearīs playing with myne i havenīt got any problem regarding this.

Regards,
Pedro
Doesn't the ZX-M have a tiny pentamirror viewfinder compared to the other MF SLR's? Mine's currently cased and on the shelf, but if I ever get around using it, I'll double-check.

It lacks lots of small features compared to the similar ZX-5n, but the biggest disadvantage would have to be the lack of a built-in flash.

As much as I like MF SLRs, I can't recommend this camera. The it's 'budget' design really impacts the overall build quality, although the electronics and photos are fine. The plastic mount is easily worn, so that's no good, either.

BTW, my favorite MF SLR would have to be the Super Program.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The MZ-M is a great camera. It was my first pentax camera btw. It can perform just like your MX and shoot aperture priority, or can shoot manaul like the K1000, plus program and shutter priority.

Although Pentax chose to install a pentamirror, its surprisingly bright and very crisp. You can clearly see the split screen microprism. The viewfinder readouts are also nice and clear. The Depth of Field Preview button as Pedro mentioned is a very good asset as its almost only found on higher end slrs/dslrs.

It has plastic lens mount but it seems surprisingly robust and has not show much signs of wear. The camera, because of its dominant ploycarbonate body is VERY light. I also bought the FG battery pack which enables you to use 4AA batteries instead of the very expensive CR2 types. The added weight of the battery pack helps balance out the camera and makes it easier to hold. (Note, this is just a battery pack and NOT a vertical grip.)

All in all a great camera. Taught me alot about the technicals about photography. The MZ-M builds alot on the manual traditions of the K and M series dslrs and you'll find the transiton very smooth!

If you know a local store selling it, ask to demo the MZ-M or at least hold it and try the focusing with a lens. You will be plesantly surprised! Thats my 2 cents on the MZ-M and good luck on your decision!
03-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I bought my MZ-M in about 1996.

Pentax introduced it by popular demand after being a while without a manual focus camera. I was under some pressure to buy a new body to supplement my Super A and didn't want autofocus, so I bought it.

The plastic lens mount hasn't been a problem, though I think you'd have to be careful if using a heavy lens to always hold the lens, not the body.

The viewfinder has never been a problem.

The build quality of the kit lens was awful.

The only problem I have ever had with the body was that after a few weeks' use, the numbering on the shutter dial had started to wear off. It went back under warranty to be fixed. Eleven years later the numbers have almost entirely worn off parts of the shutter speed dial... and that's with only fairly light use, since I generally prefer to use my Super A.

It's an OK camera, but if you are buying second hand I would definitely go for something older: ME Super, Program A, Super A... They are far better built.

Simon

(PS - Oops, I said most of this earlier in the thread. Sorry)

Last edited by Simon; 03-05-2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Add PS
03-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow you wore off the numbers on the shutter speed dial?? Thats crazy! haha. Mine are still ok. I shoot primarily aperture priority so its just a matter of turning on the camera and then hitting the shutter button.
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi,

My numbers on the shutter speed dial, are also still ok.
03-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wow you wore off the numbers on the shutter speed dial?? Thats crazy!
They are just poorly surface printed and rub off with a wet finger (almost literally).

Simon