Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. So if I start buying I won't be able to stop?! Seems about right so far as I've just brought a ME super (for 25) only to find out that my Mum has brought me a P30 from a charity shop (for 5). So I think I've got enough to last me a while. I have no idea what condition the P30 is in although the ME super I brought seems pretty good- I might have to replace the seals but I'll have to do a quick google on that to see what they're actually supposed to look like.

And Nesster... thanks, its my favourite little saying although I am annoyed that its a singular pigeon. I guess it must have been too long although I can't remember doing it. And nice cat and dove!

(Also what does GAS stand for again. I've heard it before but I'm very forgetful!)

05-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cat among the pigeon Quote
Thanks everyone. So if I start buying I won't be able to stop?
Nope. (Eyes bending shelf with 5 camera systems and a dozen or so bodies....) Three years ago I had one Spottie, cough...
05-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You got two nice cameras, hope you have fun with them and post pictures here!
05-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

If you have a digital K-x personally I think it would be fun if you acquired a film KX to go with it.

Oddly enough, even though the KX is held in very high regard among its owners here, that's the only K series SLR I've never owned, although I'd like to. I'd also throw an MX into the ring for my recommendations of film cameras to buy. My three favorite Pentax film cameras are the K2 DMD, the MX and K1000.

05-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
If you have a digital K-x personally I think it would be fun if you acquired a film KX to go with it.
I know that's what I thought at first so I looked and now I want one so bad. But unfortunately they are kinda expensive and I can't even find one on ebay in the UK. But I've got myself and ME super which I am desperate to use but I just don't know how bad the light seals are so I'm forcing myself to wait until I can take it into the camera shop to get it looked at. I can really see now why people end up with so many film cameras, I've got 2 in the space of a few days and I still want more! (especially the KX). Its my birthday coming up in a few months so I might have to start hinting now
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm not familiar with your budget, but if this will be a user camera, as opposed to a collectible (sit on the shelf behind glass) camera, don't worry about getting one in perfect cosmetic shape. The K series cameras are all tanks and built to last.

I took a quick look on eBay and found three KXs for sale. The highest bid is $60, but one is all black which typically commands a steeper price. I hope you find one for a good deal for your birthday.

One other suggestion. If it's a KX you want, post a thread in the "wanted" section here in the forum. If there's one available prices here are typically much more reasonable.
05-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

KEH also has a KX for $109: Pentax Manual Focus KX CHROME 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY - KEH.com

I'm not helping, am I?! :evil:

Last edited by builttospill; 05-05-2012 at 10:27 AM.
05-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I didn't look in the US ebay so I might nosey over there. But I think I'm going to play around with the ME sup which I got cheap and then if I find that I don't like shooting film then I won't have wasted too much money. Once I've developed my skills, and I'm not so poor, then I will probably go for one but at the moment my budget is so limited it is almost non-existent. Also does anyone have the email address for Jon Goodman (interslice) as I'm sure I saw it on here but can no longer find it. I'm just trying to find out how much it will cost me to get the seals replaced vs. doing it myself. Thanks

05-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Aaargh stop tempting me!!!
05-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #25

Hi Cat among the pigeon,

Unless they look really bad, I think you should just run a film through it before spending more cash on it, so you can check whether it is worth while or not.

The seals run round the edge of the camera side of the rear door, as such you can't really see them, only any residue they leave on the contact edges of the rear door (the door edge should be clean in a new camera). When the seals deteriorate parts of them start to stick to the edges of the door. You should also check the mirror damper (the foam under the front of the focussing screen that the bottom of the mirror hits when it is raised). If this deteriorates it can start to stick to the mirror.

You can check the exposure meter by comparison to the K-x, but the real test is to run film through it.

I've just acquired a 40 year old S1a, the seals look fairly bad, but there's no sign of light leaks from the first film.
05-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Hi Cat among the pigeon,

Unless they look really bad, I think you should just run a film through it before spending more cash on it, so you can check whether it is worth while or not.

The seals run round the edge of the camera side of the rear door, as such you can't really see them, only any residue they leave on the contact edges of the rear door (the door edge should be clean in a new camera). When the seals deteriorate parts of them start to stick to the edges of the door. You should also check the mirror damper (the foam under the front of the focussing screen that the bottom of the mirror hits when it is raised). If this deteriorates it can start to stick to the mirror.

You can check the exposure meter by comparison to the K-x, but the real test is to run film through it.

I've just acquired a 40 year old S1a, the seals look fairly bad, but there's no sign of light leaks from the first film.
Oh that's cool. There is residue sticking to the door although the mirror seal seems pretty intact (if slightly sticky). I just heard that it can flick bits of sticky mess all over the camera but then again I suppose that would be the mirror seal which isn't actually falling apart. Ok so I might just run film through it and if it does make a mess well I'll just end up getting that sorted too. Thanks
05-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cat among the pigeon Quote
mirror seal seems pretty intact (if slightly sticky). I just heard that it can flick bits of sticky mess all over the camera but then again I suppose that would be the mirror seal which isn't actually falling apart.
Probably OK, though it is good not to put off the replacement. The replacement kit for the foams is quite inexpensive ($10 USD from Jon Goodman, PM me for his e-mail) and the job is not difficult if you have reasonably steady hands. I recently did a Spotmatic and it took about 45 minutes with most of the effort going into removing the old material.

Steve