Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
ME Super self timer broken, or am I missing something?

I just picked up a cheapish ME Super. I gave it a thorough inspection before parting with my cash and it all seems to be working well. However, I think the self timer might be broken. According to the manual you just turn the lever to start the timer and that's it. But when it winds down it doesn't fire the shutter. Have I missed a step? TBH I don't reckon I'll use it much but it would be good to know it's there (or not) if I do need it.

Also, there seems to be some dirt on the focusing screen that won't shift. I've tried a blower, a brush and a cleaning cloth, all to no avail. It looks like a small hair and a smudge of oil or something. Any tips for cleaning, or should I learn to live with it?

05-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The self-timer should work by first cocking the film advance lever, then turn the self-timer lever. It should fire within 5 sec or so. I hear that the focusing screens on these (and other film SLRs) can be tough to clean. I'll leave it to the more knowlegeable folks here to answer that one. You should also check the light seals & mirror bumper foam to see if it's degraded into gooey nothing. Nearly every older SLR I've run across has needed this foam replaced, but it's a cheap & easy fix.