Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

ME super with Super A's grip

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
ME Super SE w/ M50/1.4. This is my current favorite, especially w/ the SuperA's grip on:

This is an interesting modification that I'd love to do on my ME super, as I continuously catch into the self timer lever: how is this grip attached? I mean I know it has the plastic screw holding it, but will I find the threaded hole underneath?
Invoking frank here but if anybody else knows... please say something (シ)

Thanks in advance!

05-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That strap looks nice, too! Maybe some sort of glue?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
The correct adjective for that strap is sexy, Adam.
I don't know about the glue, wouldn't it make it less secure?
05-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Closed Account

In some earlier post, I thought in the "black camera club', someone showed something similar and said he'd just glewed it . . . check out an other post below, it was about grips for the LX. In the end I just ordered some cheap grips from this company and the nr. 4 is great, there are pics . . .

These grips have a so-called double sided glewsheet that sticks on both sides. You just peel it of and stick the grip in the right place. And it comes of without anything visible . . .

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/174856-lx-grip-alternatives.html

05-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
In some earlier post, I thought in the "black camera club', someone showed something similar and said he'd just glewed it . . . check out an other post below, it was about grips for the LX. In the end I just ordered some cheap grips from this company and the nr. 4 is great, there are pics . . .

These grips have a so-called double sided glewsheet that sticks on both sides. You just peel it of and stick the grip in the right place. And it comes of without anything visible . . .

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/174856-lx-grip-alternatives.html
Nr.4 is beautiful, but looking at the size of it I am not sure I will be able to fit it on a ME super: the front flat side of the body is just 20mm, while the grip is 27. Although there is another cm this is not flat, and the 30° curvature wouldn't look very appealing on the thick side of the grip. Also, it would prevent the self timer from working (which sometimes I use when I forget the cable release). Although I understand I can trim it to clear some room for the lever, it wouldn't look nice.

I know glue would work, but on a totally clean surface: I suspect that on leatherette it won't have such efficacy, or am I wrong? (as I understand you stuck it on your LX)
05-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Closed Account

It sticks fine onto the camera. One of the reasons for having the grips, is to pull the camera out of my bag holding the grip, or when I am walking sometimes I like, instead of camera strap over the shoulder, to hold the camera by the grip . . . Anyway, they're cheap, so why not try one out? You can trim off the 7mm, or cut it around the self timer. Or, alternatively, you find the Super Program grip and some double sided glewing tape. Try an art & supplies store, they may have something. I have double sided stuff sitting on tubes, that I use to mount prints onto something. That is so strong, you'd never get it off anymore . . .
05-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anybody know anything more about the strap? It looks great but I cannot remember seeing one like that before.

K.

05-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a genuine Pentax strap being sold in Japan.
05-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
It sticks fine onto the camera. One of the reasons for having the grips, is to pull the camera out of my bag holding the grip, or when I am walking sometimes I like, instead of camera strap over the shoulder, to hold the camera by the grip . . . Anyway, they're cheap, so why not try one out? You can trim off the 7mm, or cut it around the self timer. Or, alternatively, you find the Super Program grip and some double sided glewing tape. Try an art & supplies store, they may have something. I have double sided stuff sitting on tubes, that I use to mount prints onto something. That is so strong, you'd never get it off anymore . . .
Probably sufficient, but if it were me, I'd probably go ahead and pin it as well as glue: very likely one could actually use the existing screw for one of the pins: but you'd have to do some disassembly in all likeihood to keep the filings out. I suspect that since the later models have a fitting right under that spot that there'd be a safe spot if you bothered to do that, though.

I might at least consider trying to cut out a couple of little circles in the leatherette to be sure some of the adhesive actually contacts metal. Even that may be excessive: I don't think I've ever seen the leatherette from that series ever peel or anything. Rough it up a little at least, though.
05-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi All,

Sorry I don't come to film discussion forum much nowadays, didn't see this thread...

I used super glue to stick the SuperA grip onto ME Super camera. The grip will interfere with the self timer lever (which I seldom use anyway).

I bought the leather strap from Japan, it's pretty expensive (around 50usd). They were originally bundled with Limited Edition MZ-S and MZ-3 cameras (usually came w/ an FA43 lens in the box). But I think Pentax made some extra ones to sell separately.
05-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One problem with sticking a grip on, is that you can't then fit the winder.
05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
In my opinion, if you want a winder on that series of camera, either get a Super A/Super Program or get another body or an aftermarket winder that doesn't come with a grip, anyway, I *love* slow winders, but the Winder ME ones tend to are so mushy on the shutter release (and releasing the shutter lock, not to mention cranky and cantankerous all these decades later, ) they really tend to be more in the way than anything else.

The best thing about an ME Super is being the *best big finder in a little camera ever.* The LED readout and buttons are neither fast nor precise, so at least get the digital readout if you want winder.
05-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi All,

Sorry I don't come to film discussion forum much nowadays, didn't see this thread...

I used super glue to stick the SuperA grip onto ME Super camera. The grip will interfere with the self timer lever (which I seldom use anyway).

I bought the leather strap from Japan, it's pretty expensive (around 50usd). They were originally bundled with Limited Edition MZ-S and MZ-3 cameras (usually came w/ an FA43 lens in the box). But I think Pentax made some extra ones to sell separately.
Thanks frank, got one in the bay (the grip) then I will see when it turns up. I sometimes use the self timer, I will see how much it interferes, in the worst case scenario I can always find another shorter self timer lever to put on... (or shorten the original one on the bench grinder)

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Not interested in winders (シ), see below

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
....The best thing about an ME Super is being the *best big finder in a little camera ever.*
Exactly.

Last edited by ElStellino; 05-16-2012 at 03:04 PM.