Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manual for PZ-1p

I've just ordered a PZ-1p from KEH. Gotta add to my collection! Michael Butkus, the go-to guy for camera manuals, doesn't list this camera. Anyone know of another source? Many thanks!

Last edited by grhazelton; 05-17-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo error! RATZ!
05-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here it is:
http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/556_1314745103-1445782515_manual.pdf

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
He only has the manual for the Z1 but IIRC the Z1p is just a Z1 with the panorama mode added.

Pentax Manuals
05-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. I don't think this camera is the sort that one can easily figure out, as is the MX or the LX.

05-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #5

Speaking of figuring it out, you'll want to check out the page in the manual titled "selecting an exposure mode" (page 43 in my manual). When I first got my PZ-1P it didn't come with the manual and I couldn't figure out how to get aperture priority, all I could get was "program" and "hyper-manual". This page explains why, you'll want to go through all the "custom functions" and make sure they are set to your preference, much of this camera's behavior is determined by how the custom functions are set. good luck and have fun.
05-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally checked to see if KEH had the manual, and they did. Duh! Better to buy for $6 than print off 136 pages, hole punch, etc. KEH also had the wired remote for the PZ-1p; it also works on the 645n. Again, the age-old question: Since the shutter release involves mechanical movement, why not use the old fashioned, but tried and true, flexible cable release? The 645n does. Ah, well.

Per usual for KEH, the camera rated "E" looks hardly used. Hardly a scratch on the base plate, not even around the tripod socket. The VF is clean and of a good size; not as large as the ME, but just fine. Autofocus seems faster and more "definite" than my K10d. I've set up the custom functions, now to burn some Kentmere 100. If I used the 4 fps I could go through an entire 24 cassette in ... 6 seconds? OMG! How often does anyone really need this kind of speed....

The panorama mode seems silly. Do the same thing with cropping. Harumph! My old fart pronouncement for the day.

Pentax' autoexposure system seems really rational. One can easily change from P for point and shoot convenience to aperture or shutter priority or use the Hyper mode for perhaps the best of all worlds. The control layout seems good, although having the front wheel above the shutter rather than below it as on the K10 takes a bit of getting used to.

I think I'm going to like it.
05-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
If I used the 4 fps I could go through an entire 24 cassette in ... 6 seconds? OMG! How often does anyone really need this kind of speed....
I agree, mine stays in single advance most of the time.

05-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I don't think this camera is the sort that one can easily figure out, as is the MX or the LX.
You can say that again!
Once I got a hold of a copy of the manual I quickly sold mine.
The Pentax PZ-1P is simply too complex to operate for my taste.

Chris
05-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmeter

I picked mine up when I was using a spotmeter for everything, but I kept it for the daylight flash synch. I don't think there is another Pentax that does this quite as well as the PZ-1p.

It can certainly be more difficult to use than the LX or MX, and it is very battery dependent. But once you get used to it, it really is not that much different then using a K7. Put it in hyper program, spin the front dial when you want to change the shutter speed, and the aperture adjusts as needed. Spin the rear dial when you want to change the aperture and the shutter keeps up. Even my DA lenses work with it. Same with hyper manual except you have to use both dials and watch the exposure graph in the viewfinder. I don't even use aperture or shutter priority. And that 1/8000 second shutter speed! I can load a roll of Portra 800, push it to 1600, and use it as long as I want.

And I still use that spotmeter a bunch.
05-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
It can certainly be more difficult to use than the LX or MX, and it is very battery dependent.
But once you get used to it, it really is not that much different then using a K7.
Thanks for the warning. I'll remember never to try a K7 too!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-26-2012 at 04:25 PM.
12-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

Z1; problems with AF lenses

Hi guys, I've just bought a Z1 (PZ1 in the USA) with the intention of adding it to my kit of lenses and my K5 - killing at least two birds with one kit - but it doesn't auto-focus with most of my lenses. It only does it with my Pentax DAL, 18-55 Zoom. I have another Pentax lens, 2 Sigmas (one is new) and Tamron AF lenses and it doesn't like any of them! "Quelle disastre!" as they say in Scotland! The camera shop (Chiswick Cameras) is happy to give me a refund but we agreed I'd try the forums to see if there was a fix first - no rush, in other words.
I have 3 other 35mm AF Pentax bodies and all my AF lenses work on all of them with no trouble. (AN SFX-n, SF7 and MZ60 - the fussy one!) I can't see why one lens would work but not the others. That seems to rule out electrical contacts probs, although I have cleaned them up of course, even though they were already clean.
It will be a shame if it is touchy about lenses as it's about the best spec of any PK film cameras I've seen. 1/8000th second shutter speed - the same as the K5!