Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Mx restoration

I've just bought a Pentax MX and i want to restore it because it isn't in a perfect condition and it has been opened before. It wasn't the best deal i've made, the guy who sole it to me lied about some things . I've searched for some answers on the internet and the forum for stuff i need to do but for some of them I couldn't find.

The camera has the sticky mirror problem sometimes in B, 1, 2 and 4. The foam is missing, the problem are the mechanics, is it a way to lube them without taking the mirror housing off ?
What other camera has the same size of the focus screen ? I want to replace it because mine is to scratched.
The film winder has a strange feeling when i arm the camera, it feels and sounds like there are no gears in it and the springs are a little lose, to lose in my opinion (compared with the P30T)
I've solved the frame counter but not 100%, i need a new spring for this, the exposure meter didn't worked too but i managed to make it work, the speed dial was wobbly but i fixed it and in the process i managed to broke the wires that connects the ISO counter to the exposure meter and now the exposure is stuck on the first top led. (the wires are temporary fixed there, i need to buy a soldering iron). There is no need to move the winder at a 20 angle to measure the light, is it normal ?
Some parts are missing and i'm thinking of replacing theme with some from other brand cameras (i won't be able to find another broken mx in my country). What can replace the foam that's in the camera because is sticky ? For the mirror foam i'm thinking to use the "velvet" from the film roll. The curtains are in perfect condition and the camera exposures ok (i think, it sounds and looks ok, didn't tested on a film). At the end i want to give it a matte black paint with red details but i'll need to fix some dents. I can put some images of the camera on its present state ... if someone is curious on how it looks.

Some advice would be good, about what other think to check or clean inside the camera and what i should be careful about.

05-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
First off, don't lube anything!
Let hear all the problems?
I'll through out a few...
Slow Speeds
Mirror Cage
Focusing Screen
Foam for Mirror
Light Seals?
Curtain wrinkled?
All 5 LEDs working?
Sync X FP working?
Any water damage?
QuoteOriginally posted by rares Quote
For the mirror foam i'm thinking to use the "velvet" from the film roll
weather/window foam and velvet might work.

There is no need to move the winder at a 20 angle to measure the light, is it normal ?
It sound like the mounted for the contacts are not seated correctly?

Some parts are missing and i'm thinking of replacing theme with some from other brand cameras (i won't be able to find another broken mx in my country).
rewind knob- yes... what else is missing?
05-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

There is a member (Hefty1), or it may have been Womble on the Pentax user forum who rebuilt a Pentax MX from scratch, you may find it helpful to contact him. He has been known to post here as well.

(I too have an MX, which had some issues, but I was fortunate enough to be able have them dealt with professionally as I am a total klutz with things mechanical .)

Last edited by Banjo; 06-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Slow Speeds
Mirror Cage
the slow speeds work good but sometimes the mirror locks it's self up. the only way to unlock it is to take another shot.

Focusing Screen
it is scratched and i want a replacement, but i don't know what camera has the same size of the focus screen.

Foam for Mirror
the foam is missing and i want to replace it with something because the mirror is hitting the metal directly, so it's just for protection

Light Seals?
didn't tested it . i hope it doesn't have some.

Curtain wrinkled?
the curtain looks new.

All 5 LEDs working?
yes, if i push the shutter button frequently, the leds all go on but in an order from the bottom up. this probably is caused by the temporary fix i made to the iso dial, i need a soldering iron for this

Sync X FP working?
didn't tested those, i don't have a flash.

Any water damage?
no. i didn't went all the way in just the top and bottom covers and everything looks ok, just to dry

05-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

First thing that stands out...

note the long rod on the left with two screws.

It sounds like that is not set to the correct height to trip the shutter as well as the mirror.

If you have already taken apart the camera or started just to remove the bottom for a look around. This is the time to start making notes as you go.

It is always tricky to instruct or advise over the internet and more times than not that a part will be missed.

You should start first with a clear work area and time to make note as well as look at the service manual for some details.
The disassembly process is worth looking at from the manual and make sure some of the basic tools are available.

The responses to you above answers will follow.

Slow speed and mirror cage - as well as the film advance are linked together. The picture taking process starts basically from the mirror going up, but it sounds like the release is out of alignment.

Focusing Screen - beside scratches, is it actually still accurately focusing.

Foam of mirror - missing or is it decayed to a point were it is a sticky strip?

Light seals - they are also originally a foam and should have decayed at about the same time as the mirror foam.

Shutter Curtain - that is good news. Many times I see signs of it being toyed with as the assumption that it was caught on something when a lag occurs.

LEDs - If they light up is good news. How they light up will be fixed when the rod or leaf switch is put right or if the "Av volume" is checked.

X, FP - You'll have plenty of time to check that after the mount face is opened.

Water damage - A common problem and you can get it by spills, rain or snow on the top as well as flooding or camera bag filled with water for the bottom.

The first thing is to strip the camera down.

Top deck: Rewind knob, spanner nut, trim washer on the rewinder side. Two pin screw turned clockwise to remove and trim ring, small two pin screw at center of the shutter speed dial and lift up and don't turn over and the trim ring. The release button need not be unscrewed and just the three deck screws.

Leatherette must be peeled from the front to expose the mount face screws. Timer are need not be removed... care must be taken not to loose the linkage pin under while removing.

More later if you are going to do all this.
05-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Slow speed and mirror cage: I've made a test now, made 11 frames and the mirror locked it's self at frame no 3,4,6 and 10 at exposure 1. at exposure 2 no mirror lock. i didn't opened the camera so i can see the shutter rod and all the mechanism.

Foam of mirror: i presume someone removed it because it was sticky, the rest of the foam in the camera is sticky.

LEDs. They work, i've repaired the exposure meter and it works good, compared with the P30T at iso 100. f2

I also tried the hidden technique for mirror lock-up and it works. it amuses me, but i discovered something, if I try this in exposure time 1 the mirror won't come down every i take a shoot. if i want the mirror to get back I need to use a different exposure time ...

does anyone know if the Canon AE-1 Program L focus screen works on the mx ?
05-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #7

I would recommend the Mirror Foam/Light-Seal Kit from Kameradoktor in Germany, It is not in Romania but still closer than the US.
And the set has a very good quality.
He also has many replacement parts for old Pentax cameras, so the chances are good that he has a new Spring for you.
If the focusing screen is still working, then I would keep it, as they are really expensive and hard to find.

05-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The MX had interchangeable focusing screens - several styles. Look for another MX screen. The default was a split image + microprism.

My favourite was the SG screen - 6mm grid on ground glass, and nothing else.

Easy to change with the tool shipped witht he screen, and fits correctly - no shims needed, no testing needed.
05-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #9

Thanks for all the excellent info people. I've just bought myself an MX and it's a bit battered but I'm hoping it still works OK.

Got some new batteries on the way as there is no sign of the LEDs lighting up.

Got some new foam on the way as its either dying or completely gone in the case of the mirror.

My focusing screen is also scratched. I can still focus fine so does this matter? Can it have any adverse affect on the output? Silly question I imagine but just checking!

Thanks
Dan
05-24-2012, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Giveaway winner!

Congratulations!
LEDs... hope and they should be fine unless oxidized... we'll all see.
Foam... when trying to pry off any residual gunk, but before you start, try and replace the screen with a piece of cardboard cut to screen size and covered with slick tape (packing tape?) to reduce scratching.
Focus screen... As long as you can use the focus aid at center properly and the screens field is still flat enough to sight in your subject, scratches do not matter... good question.

Keep us posted.
05-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #11

Thanks for your advice Mys. Onion, much appreciated.
05-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #12

Batteries arrived and LEDs seem to be working perfectly.

When I said I had some foam on the way what I meant was that I had sent a request email to the Kamera Doktor. I have still not received a reply, anyone know if he's still in business? I can't seem to find any pre-cut foam on ebay? Any other recommendations for where to buy?

Thanks
05-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Micro-Tools may have the raw foam and so you will need to measure and cut for yourself.

Micro-Tools Europe Werkzeuge | Miniaturwerkzeuge zur Kamera und Uhrenreparatur

Foam:

http://www.micro-tools.de/index.php?stoken=7A0228FC&force_sid=&lang=1&cl=sea...hmanufacturer=

I of course use the US version of the site.
05-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I got a seal kit for my MX from:

camera seal kits

and the kit was complete and it worked. Better instructions may be found here under the Pentax ME heading:

Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

MX focusing screens come up on ebay fairly often but be warned that they are frequently mislabeled. They come in a nice grey plastic box with the right tweezers, a screen and an empty slot. Take the old one out and put it in the slot, install the new one, put the old one where the new one was, and then the box later gets sold on ebay as new old stock with the wrong screen . . .
Bojidar Dimitrov has a nice set of pics of the available MX screens:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/misc/focus/screens/index.html
05-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
I have a bigger problem, the curtains are not synchronized. one of them go faster or slower in high speed. I made a simple test now to see exact what exposure time has problems. is there a good repairman in Europe ?