Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewind shaft

Hello all. I'm trying to replace my rewind shaft on my K1000. I can't seem to get the shaft all the way through because of the spring. I try to push it back with a pin while I simultaneously push the shaft up. Not so easy. Is there a trick or method I'm supposed to be using? My shaft doesn't have a beveled end it that matters any.

05-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, is the shaft you are trying to replace identical with the new one?
By the way, welcome on the forum
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. It is. 100% identical.
05-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I've done the procedure on my Spotmatics as well, should be same type shaft as on the K1000, no bevelled tip. It is tricky indeed, so I'm not sure either if there's an easier way to do it. Basically, looking from the top, locate the spring, press it with the pin, then try inserting the shaft through the bottom until it catches. On one camera, it took me 2 days to do it.

05-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What he said. The shaft is easy to remove and hard to replace. My local repair guy told me there is a trick to it and I opted to let him do the job on my SP II rather than fuddle through with it myself. IIRC, the process was similar to what kcobain1992 describes.

Steve
05-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try it without forcing the issue so I don't break the spring. If I can't get it I'll take it somewhere. How much did they charge?
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mation Quote
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try it without forcing the issue so I don't break the spring. If I can't get it I'll take it somewhere. How much did they charge?
I was charged $25 including the price of the part. I just remembered the deep secret. The tech removed the top cover to make access to the spring easier. In the process he also discovered a loose strap lug which he fixed for free. Thank you Mike Knight at Knight Camera and Repair here in Vancouver for your good work.

Steve

05-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
I actually got it fixed today. Took it to a place and the guy had a specialized tool just for rewind shafts. He charged me the shop minimum $20 and threw in a new battery for another $4.