Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Loose strap lug on SP

I noticed that one of the shoulder strap lugs is loose on the SP I recently acquired. I imagine one would have to remove the whole top section of the camera to get into where it could be tightened. Is this hard to do? Any guidance would be appreciated.

05-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
The removal is correct. You could probably spot it in the repair manuals...

I recall that both of the screws may support the arm of spring, but that is easy enough. The best thing to check for is to flip the lug if not drilled. However, I recall some models have a indentation drilled to it for accurate depth.
05-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't recall the SP specifically, but on most older cameras the screw is threaded directly into the lug. The lug just slips into the hole in the casting, and the screw threads through the lug from a cross-hole. I've seen these screws (mainly on Mamiya DTL) broken, but the end still holding the lug (loosely) in place.
Top cover removal is not difficult, but you'll want to read through the steps in a repair manual, to be sure which screws are left-hand thread, etc. The screws are easily broken if over-tightened.
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
It has been a few years since I've been inside...

Removal of film advance lever: tiny screws for the counter-Counter cover-Number dial nut (must be turned clockwise to remove...check that first!)-counter ratchet-counter cup-bayonet retainer-shell screw.

Shutter speed dial removal: double pin drive nut- lift speed dial away

Rewinding Knob removal: insert a driver or rod to hold stationary the film cassette prongs- spin the rewinding knob, but not by the crank handle and in the direction counter-clockwise or the opposite of the arrow... no, I found the manual... cross head screw retains the knob- remove spanner screw- remove finish washer- remove shell screw

Someone jump in if I missed something.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.