Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Mz-3 ?

I would like to hear some opinions about the viewfinder of this camera, re brightness in particular. Is it in any way comparable to KX, LX or Super Program? And, does anyone have an idea of the price today for it's silver special edition, with the 43mm, in a wooden box?

05-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the MZ 5 (same prism) the KX/LX and MX were all better finders IMO

Aside form that finding any MZ-3 (never mind the special edition that AFAIK was Japan only) is quite difficult, I haven't seen one for sale in quite a while (well over a year)

Good luck with the hunt a quick search turned up one that sold for 8500 yuan in china recently, about $1375

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://item.taobao.com...26prmd%3Dimvns
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Do you know what is special about the special edition? Thanks !
05-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Do you know what is special about the special edition? Thanks !
MZ-3 SE (1998)
Special Edition package of the MZ-3, including the SMC Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, UV filter and brown leather strap. Only 2,000pcs made for the Japanese home market only.

MZ-3 Limited Package (2000)
Limited package of the black finished MZ-3, including the SMC Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited in black finish, UV filter and brown leather strap.
Introduced Nov. 25th, 2000 for the Japanese home market only.

So a different strap, packaging, bundled with the FA43 (just after the 43 release) fancy brown leather strap, the box it came in.
there is a history of very limited production for the japanese market pentax models (the one after the MZ-3 was the LX2000 far more desirable IMO and far harder to find as well they only made 1000 pieces

LX2000 (2000)
Limited edition of the LX for the Japanese home market only. Equipped with a SMC Pentax-A f/1.2 50mm Special lens. Only 1,000 pcs made.

check this site for this type of item

Bayonet Oddities

05-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot! Yes, there seems to be little to no reason to spend that kind of money on, eh, hmmmm . . . I thought perhaps, like the LX, they had made a titanium version . . .
05-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Thanks a lot! Yes, there seems to be little to no reason to spend that kind of money on, eh, hmmmm . . . I thought perhaps, like the LX, they had made a titanium version . . .
Nope, I think the best collectables are the LX ones (but then I think the best camera was the LX)