Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Film Camera to buy

I recently purchased a film camera - ZX-5n from KEH and had to return it as the mirror was stuck in the up position after 5 test shots - so I'm leerie of getting another of the same type . I'm just getting back to film and am using a 645Nii I bought a few years ago and love the simple controls and the audible beep and green dot in the viewfinder telling me I am in focus when I have a manual lens on the camera. However, it is BIG - definitely not a street camera.

I'd like to get a 35mm for street photography and am looking for one with the same kind of features listed above as the 645Nii. The LX looked perfect in size and weight and quality - until I found it is just manual focus. PS - I also like/need the split image focusing I have on the 645Nii. Something in a range finder size would be nice - ha ha.

I'd also like to be able to use whatever AF lenses I might buy for it on a future auto focus digital.

Any suggestions as to a camera? I've found good reviews for the PZ-1P and the KX and the MZ-S, but again the lize of the LX (I don't believe it has any green dot or audible beep indicating your are in focus. I'd like a nice "quiet" camera i can put a fast lens on for indoor use without a flash. Again, the size and shape of the LX is really nice - but it is only manual focus.

Thanks a bunch.

Rich M

05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pretty much all Pentax AF cameras have the green LED indicating 'in focus', I presume they all have optional beeps (the Z-1 has both). The SFXn also had the left/right arrows indicating which way to move the focussing ring. The MEF (basically an ME Super with focus assist) is older technology but works reasonably well and again has the green LED, left/right arrows and optional beep.
05-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much, I'll be comparing the ME F and the ME Super - any comments in that regard? And do you know if this is one that Eric would work on if needed?

Rich M
05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i would suggest you a ZX-7 or ZX-5n. you can find the cheap grip which allow the use of standard AA battery to power the body. You can do between 20 to 40 roll with cheap battery.

The bad point is that this body have standard mate focusing screen. But you can mount in them MX/LX focusing screen. Here is the designation of all focusing screen and their purpose : Pentax Focusing Screens

05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They're pretty much identical other than the focus assist (which when combined with one 'M' series AF 35-70 f/2.8 zoom provides extremely slow AF). The MEF takes 4 button cells instead of two. They take the same winders, flashes etc. but the MEF AF system is very old technology and the electronics possibly fragile. I have two MEFs, the AF assist only works on one.

I don't know Eric, I guess most of the parts are the same as the ME Super, although repairs to the AF system are unlikely to be doable today.
05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not just get in the habit of manually focusing, or trap focusing a manual camera? If you want a quiet shutter do not get the KX, it's very loud. I suggest you check out an amazing street shooter from Vancouver BC Canada who is now using a Canon WP-1 35mm auto focus camera...his name is Fred Herzog

Equinox Gallery Vancouver - Works by Fred Herzog
05-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
trap focusing a manual camera
Now that sounds like a trick indeed.

As for the KX shutter, it is not particularly quiet, but is no louder than the other K-series cameras or the Spotmatic on which it is based and is pretty typical for a full mechanical SLR regardless of brand.

Steve

05-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Will do - What is trap focusing?

Rich
05-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
Will do - What is trap focusing?
I asked the same question...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-use...tch-focus.html
05-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The MZ-S is approximately the same size as the LX (a little taller, and less wide) but actually feels smaller in your hand.

I think the MZ-S makes a very good street camera. Combined with the Limited lenses, it's very small and doesn't attract any attention. The shutter release is VERY quiet (but the winder makes a wheezy high-pitched sound.)

The drawback of the MZ-S is the price. If money is any concern, just buy a couple of MZ-5n, MZ-7 or MZ-6 cameras (in case one fails) and keep shooting.
05-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Forum Member

The MX makes a very good street camera. It's small and quiet.
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree about the MZ-S shutter, it is much quieter than my P30n, but the film wind kills some of the advantage.

A MZ-S + FA31 or FA43 would make a great street film camera.

A Contax G2 (which was for sale here on the market place, may still be) could also be a good street film camera option if you want 35mm film + AF. Of course a Leica M6 would be the quintisential street cam, but no AF (or even aperture priority).
06-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #13

A pentax LX, they are beautiful in the hands.
06-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

it doesn't fill the spec the OP asked : AF
06-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kodaz Quote
A pentax LX, they are beautiful in the hands

Especially if one can also find the optional viewfinders/pentaprisms