Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

Pentax Auto 110

Just signed on to the forum and introduced myself. I'm kind of a camera collector.
Today I picked up an Auto 110 with an 18mm Pan Focus, 70mm, and AF100 flash that appears to be in very good condition.
I have not yet gotten any film for it yet, or replaced the batteries. Here's my question...
In my searches somewhere I read the shutter wont cock without a film cartridge in place. This camera does not cock the shutter with the winding lever(no film in place), and the shutter is down blocking the viewfinder. As I understand from the manual I downloaded, the shutter raises when cocked and the mirror blocks the film until the release is fired.
I'm wondering if this behavior is correct, or is the little guy broken? I sure would like a peek through the lenses.
I only gave $10 for the package, and if it's not terribly expensive I'll get it fixed-or just add it to the collection as is.
Thanks for any help.

05-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cannot help with the shutter behavior as I do not have one of those. However, 110 film has not been made since 2009. Still some old stock available but it is getting rare. Supposedly Lomography is bringing back a B&W cartridge but I have not seen it yet.

In good shape those cameras still sell for a fair amount especially if you have the whole kit with case and lenses.
05-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get it before it runs out 110 Film | Film Photography Project
05-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have any film for mine, but I can still see through the viewfinder and trip the shutter. Hate to say it but it sounds like something's not working properly.

05-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Walt T Quote
I read the shutter wont cock without a film cartridge in place. This camera does not cock the shutter with the winding lever(no film in place), and the shutter is down blocking the viewfinder. As I understand from the manual I downloaded, the shutter raises when cocked and the mirror blocks the film until the release is fired.
The shutter itself will cock and the mechanism will not stop but in stead continue to advance until the little hook tab finds the notch on the film. The advance is a double pump and then the shutter is allowed to fire. It is regulated by a small wheel like cam with a notch cut into it. When the advance brings around the notch, an index arm is allowed to move. So in short, without film, you can still dry firm the shutter to test it out and yes, the mirror is the shutter curtain.

Also, I just received my fresh rolls of film from Lomography this past Friday.

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/lomography-orca-110-bandw-film

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-30-2012 at 08:09 AM.
05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
So should I pull the bottom off and see if I can find something wrong? It's a neat little camera, and I've only got $10 invested-nothing ventured, nothing gained. I guess I'll give it a shot.
05-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

So should I pull the bottom off and see if I can find something wrong? It's a neat little camera, and I've only got $10 invested-nothing ventured, nothing gained. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Sorry Walt, I meant to respond to that part as well...

The problem is not actually found in the bottom but the mirror unit itself. If the mirror is moving with... lets say... no battery and just following the lever action, then there is a possible incorrectly installed linkage.

I am currently fixing an Auto 110 as well. First off you might want to look at the service manual. A very clear copy is at the Sub-miniature Users site...

Pentax Auto 110 Repair Manual

... have a look and get familiar with the parts.

I may be uploading steps up at my blog or even start a new blog about the Auto 110 soon?
My 110 needs the foam replaced and gooey stuff cleaned out as well as the shutter cocking rail cleaned. It is sort of a lot of details to really explain. I have another body that is just as messed up and it may be the parts donor.

So to answer... yes to bottom, but it may be deeper in than that.

05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies MO. Taking off the bottom is going to be a problem, as one of the little screws is stripped out from someone before me. Looking things over more closely, other screws have been removed but not dammaged. Don't know if I can get an EasyOut that tiny or not. The camera has no batteries, will that effect mirror/shutter operation?
Even if worse comes to worst, I'll pick up another body and have a parts donor.
Thanks again for the help.
06-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

The camera has no batteries, will that effect mirror/shutter operation?
The shutters are govern by an electro-magnet... yes. For the screw, one trick is to take a sharp flat tip and rock it in the remnant slot to make a deeper grove and then that should be enough purchase to remove, but do not force. If it is very stuck, then corrosion might have made it stuck. Cotton swab/bud/sticks and solvent may be needed and dab a bit at a time to seep it in and let sit... make sure the solvent is safe on plastic. Normally heat would be suggested, but again... plastic.
06-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well, I got the top and bottom covers off. As I suspected, it's been open before and a ham fisted repair attempt made. Plier and pry marks, so I guess it's a parts camera now. No biggie, I'll save my pennies and pick up another kit down the road. Thanks for the help all!
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Giveaway winner!

it's been open before and a ham fisted repair attempt made
Do you think you can post a picture of the remains?
06-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
The shutter itself will cock and the mechanism will not stop but in stead continue to advance until the little hook tab finds the notch on the film. The advance is a double pump and then the shutter is allowed to fire. It is regulated by a small wheel like cam with a notch cut into it. When the advance brings around the notch, an index arm is allowed to move. So in short, without film, you can still dry firm the shutter to test it out and yes, the mirror is the shutter curtain.

Also, I just received my fresh rolls of film from Lomography this past Friday.

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/lomography-orca-110-bandw-film
Thanks for the link. This is the first I'd heard of the new film. Very encouraging!
06-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Giveaway winner!

So I've been well under way with that little blog. I started beginning of June and will put the remaining work on the shelf if I don't finish by around Mid-July to go to the next camera.

Mystery Onion's Project Spotlight - Pentax Auto 110
06-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Walt or anybody:
I am experimenting with home machined adaptors for auto 110 lenses to M43
I would like to know the distance in mm from the lens mount flange back to the aperture diaphragm in the Pentax auto 110 body.
This is so I can position my stop more correctly as this affects sharpness.
Thanks
06-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

110 film is coming back, lomography is producing them and they have introduce two new cameras using 110 film.
So no worry for film at least for a while.