Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone used Eric H for a lens CLA? What did it cost you?

Hi folks,

I have a Pentax-F 50/1.7 that is in very nice shape except for what looks to be a tiny drop of oil on the inside of the rear element. There is a sheen of oil film surrounding it that is about 1/4 inch in diameter. I'm wondering what it would cost me to have Eric CLA this. Or should I just put it up for sale as is? Any thoughts on what it would be worth in this condition?

Thanks!

05-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Hi folks,

I have a Pentax-F 50/1.7 that is in very nice shape except for what looks to be a tiny drop of oil on the inside of the rear element. There is a sheen of oil film surrounding it that is about 1/4 inch in diameter. I'm wondering what it would cost me to have Eric CLA this. Or should I just put it up for sale as is? Any thoughts on what it would be worth in this condition?

Thanks!
You might want to post a picture of it, Those "oily" looking spots have a tenancy to be lens separation.

Edit: This thread might help in the mean time
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/185569-muliti-...tain-lens.html
05-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a picture - it does reach over to the edge of the rear element. Looks like you might be right. Darn.

Thoughts?
05-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a picture - it does reach over to the edge of the rear element. Looks like you might be right. Darn.

Thoughts?
Maybe try posting another shot from a different angle, I'm not sure of what I am looking at (reflections or defects). Its rather difficult to get shots to show things like that though.
So i'm not sure I can give you a yes or no answer on this one. Someone else might be able to tell.

05-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Eric CLAed my K85/1.8 that had excess oil in it, the cost was $35.00. He also did the same for my K20/4 and the cost was $40.00.

Phil.
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I doubt I'd get a better picture. It's everything with the greenish-blue tinge that wraps around the top periphery. The dot of what looks like oil is the bright white spot inside the greenish area.
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi folks,

Thanks!
I would just send Eric some photos, and ask for an estimate. He is very reasonable, and does great work.
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, Phil. Appreciated.

Does anyone know if the rear elements on the F50 1.7 are a cemented group? If not, then it's probably just oil.

06-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I had an f1.4/50 SMCP-M reconditioned and aperture stop-down to f/22 fixed by Mr. Henderson for about 60 dollars last year.
06-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Eric has serviced several fixed focal length lenses for me.
As always work was good and the price reasonable.

Chris
06-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Agreed, Eric is very reasonable on lenses. He will also know if element separation or glue failure is a problem with some models.