Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Part roll question

Does anyone here rewind a partially shot roll, replace it with a roll of different ISO and then use the rest of the original roll later by clicking off the used frames with the lens cap on until you are back onto a unexposed frame?

I usually carry two bodies with different film loaded for daytime and low light but it would be handy to carry just one body and swap film as required.

06-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Yep.

I carry a Sharpie and mark the roll at stopped frame and date it. I cross it off when I return it.
I have a very usual method for loading and it seems to line up near perfect every time.

This is common done on my MX and LX and I've done it a few times on my SV.
06-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #3

Yes. But I find the two bodies the better option. Like you I have daytime film (Ilford FP4) and lower light film (Tmax 400) in two bodies. In my case the added weight is no big deal as I use 40mm or 50mm lenses only. It just confuses me less when one specific body and lens (OM4Ti/40mm) is what I perceive to be the day camera, and the other (LX/50mm) the night camera. I have done this forever now and do not need to think about it anymore.

On top of that, I have yet to find a camera that has it all and in this case I still switch for other reasons: for spotmetering to the OM4Ti, for very long exposures to the LX, for these specific lenses . . .

However, there's nothing against switching films, one image may get lost. But it works. Just be smart to write on the film how many shots you did. It does get a little difficult when you need to change the same films more than once. Easy to make mistakes.

Last edited by Hilo; 06-04-2012 at 04:07 AM.
06-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I've only done it once and that was when my Canon EOS 3 rewound the roll after only 19 frames (hopefully a one off glitch with a tight roll). I put it back in and clicked off 20 shots with the cap on and finished the end of the roll.

I suppose the only possible drawback would be an increased chance of scratching the emulsion as the film went in and out of the cannister a second time.

06-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I too had only one body at one time - the EOS3, and was constantly changing films mid roll and going back to the last frame with not one missed frame due to the accuracy of the IR frame counter. However, now I have numerous bodies but still change films sometimes midroll but always advancing one frame past. But unlike the EOS3, I always get at least 37 frames per roll.
06-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
increased chance of scratching the emulsion as the film went in and out of the cannister a second time.
Yes, that did happen to me when I absentmindedly dropped it into my pocket and it picked up crap and that made it into my camera. Usually I have clean film canisters or drop it in the fresh rolls canister and never notice any increase in scratches.
06-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've done this for a while. Went a bit wrong in 1984 when I ended up with one half exposed roll of slide film and one roll which was half double exposures...

I usually carry two film bodies, one for colour and one for B&W. Sometimes I swap films out in order to use something with a higher ISO.

K.
06-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I too had only one body at one time - the EOS3, and was constantly changing films mid roll and going back to the last frame with not one missed frame due to the accuracy of the IR frame counter. However, now I have numerous bodies but still change films sometimes midroll but always advancing one frame past. But unlike the EOS3, I always get at least 37 frames per roll.
I didn't realise that the EOS 3 had an IR counter. To be honest, I've never really thought about how the counter worked in any modern SLR. Yes, the 36 frame per roll is a bit of a pain but the EOS 3 is such a nice body, I can forgive it that one fault. If it ever rewinds a half shot roll again, I might not be so forgiving

06-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I've done this for a while. Went a bit wrong in 1984 when I ended up with one half exposed roll of slide film and one roll which was half double exposures...

I usually carry two film bodies, one for colour and one for B&W. Sometimes I swap films out in order to use something with a higher ISO.

K.
When I go away on a trip I normally carry my DSLR and either a SLR/400 during the day or SLR/1600 in the evening. That means 3 bodies and associated lenses which is fine if going by car or train but flying with the likes of Ryanair means keeping a close eye on your baggage weight.
06-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
I find the two bodies the better option.
Or three. Or four. Or Five. Et cetera...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-04-2012 at 02:15 PM.
06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone here rewind a partially shot roll, replace it with a roll of different ISO and then use the rest of the original roll later by clicking off the used frames with the lens cap on until you are back onto a unexposed frame?

I usually carry two bodies with different film loaded for daytime and low light but it would be handy to carry just one body and swap film as required.
What I do, on my manual film bodies is to look at where the counter is set, and rewind just until the indicator stops turning on the bottom of the camera or until you feel the pickup reel has let go, or hear the film leader on the pressure plate, then remove the cartridge./ On these I use a sharpie and write the frame number, when I re insert it I advance by 1 frame, because the upload registration is never the same. I just shoot X+1 shots with the lens cap on

On my PZ1 it is easier because the PF function for rewind is to leave the leader out, but otherwise the same.

If you make a mistake and wind it all the way back, I think there is a lost leader retrieval tool.

Also note, start one frame later when installing the film from frame 0 because it can fog when removing the film with an exposed leader
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I didn't realise that the EOS 3 had an IR counter. To be honest, I've never really thought about how the counter worked in any modern SLR. Yes, the 36 frame per roll is a bit of a pain but the EOS 3 is such a nice body, I can forgive it that one fault. If it ever rewinds a half shot roll again, I might not be so forgiving
The EOS3's IR frame counter is dependably accurate but it will fog IR film. To me, the biggest shortcoming with all Canons that have aperture priority is that - by design, they limited aperture priority exposure to 30 seconds maximum. This applied to their first aperture priority capable camera all the way to the 1V. I believe I tested a couple of their DSLRs too and this also the case with those.
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I used to do that when I shot film. But not regularly because the switching back and forth wasn't convenient. And, being a cheap SOB and shooting a real K-1000 with a less-than dependably accurate frame counter, I didn't like losing the frames on color rolls.

Two bodies is MUCH better.
06-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Yep.

I carry a Sharpie and mark the roll at stopped frame and date it. I cross it off when I return it.
I have a very usual method for loading and it seems to line up near perfect every time.

This is common done on my MX and LX and I've done it a few times on my SV.
I don't understand, please pardon my ignorance. How can you see the mark, since I assume exposing the film to light would fog it? Braille maybe?
06-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I don't understand, please pardon my ignorance. How can you see the mark, since I assume exposing the film to light would fog it? Braille maybe?
mark the canister