Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #1

k100d rendering lag?

I was trying to shoot some star trails yesterday so I was doing some long exposure shots. I was taking 30 sec. exposures and I noticed that after the picture was taken, it would take the camera at least a 1 min. to be able to generate a preview shot on the view screen. Is this normal for this camera? I was with my buddy who was doing the same kind of shots on his Nikon and the picture came up on his view screen almost instantly. I was wondering if it was just the camera.

01-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #2

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

When shooting long exposures the camera shoots a second black shot [whit shutter and mirror closed] and then assemble them to supress noise. The second shot lasts like the first one, so the lag.

You can disable it with the noise reduction item in the custom menu, it won't affect normal exposures, but it's quite useful.
01-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolf74 Quote
I was trying to shoot some star trails yesterday so I was doing some long exposure shots. I was taking 30 sec. exposures and I noticed that after the picture was taken, it would take the camera at least a 1 min. to be able to generate a preview shot on the view screen. Is this normal for this camera? I was with my buddy who was doing the same kind of shots on his Nikon and the picture came up on his view screen almost instantly. I was wondering if it was just the camera.
If you turn off the "noise reduction" setting in the "custom" menu, it will display right after the shutter has closed. Read about it on page 34 and 159 in the manual.

Using NR in long exposure modes removes noise caused by bright hot pixels that are much more troublesome with long exposures at high ISO's. Some Raw converters remove this noise automatically, shooting in JPEG doesn't unless the NR is on, that's why it is the default setting. At low ISO settings, it is unusual to see any noise problems.
01-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This needs to be moved out of the film section.

01-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, that helps alot. Sorry for posting it in the wrong forum.
01-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It isn't really a big boo-boo to post here, other than the fact that the film camera section doesn't receive all that much traffic. More folks will see and answer questions on digital cameras if questions regarding them are posted almost anywhere except here.