Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

Winder ME II - advancing film before shutter release?

Hello,

Just got a black ME with Winder ME II recently. Everything works except one thing:

Is Winder ME II supposed to advance the film before release the shutter?
So when I push the trigger on Winder ME II, the sound was "Whirrr... Click!" instead of "Click! Whirrr..." as expected from any autowind SLRs.
I have no idea, but for me, this is awkward as shutter release is not instant with trigger button.

If this is normal, what about Winder ME (those with 6 AAs instead of 4) ?

Thank you.

06-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The first time, you touch the shutter button, it will advance the film without taking a shot, basically "priming" the winder. The next time it will take a shot and advance the film. The only problem is if you lightly touch the shutter button on the winder to activate the light meter, it advances film, but if you want to activate the light meter again, it takes a shot. I am still experimenting to see whether the shutter button on the camera will activate the light meter without advancing the film.
06-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #3

Does it wind with half trigger pressed (like to activate the light meter) or do you have to press the button totally?
Asking so because if it winds with a half press you could load the film in advance straight after every shot.
That's quite lame in any case...
06-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #4

It's my understanding that it cocks the shutter on a half press and then advances the film after the shutter is fired. But maybe yours isn't doing that.

06-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The two I've had have both made the 'whirr, click, whirr' noise. I'm not sure what the first 'whirr' is, but I think it will recycle the camera if it is un-cocked when you half press the winder release. My MX winder does the same thing. Originally I had a 3rd party winder and got rid of it thinking it was doing something wrong, when I got the MEII, it was exactly the same.
06-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I used the ME II Winder on a Super Program body. It decidedly advanced the film after the shutter was released and closed. However, when you first load a new roll of film the winder will pre-roll the film until the frame counter reaches the '1' position. If you are testing the winder on an empty camera, you won't ever reach the '1' position on the frame counter.

the easiest way to test is to put in a roll of film, leave the lens cap on, switch the shutter to a fast speed (e.g., x-sync) and small aperture, and do your testing in a dimly lighted room. When done, rewind your film just until it slips off the take-up spool - not all the way into its canister. Your film should be unexposed and you will be able to use the roll normally.
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I used the ME II Winder on a Super Program body. It decidedly advanced the film after the shutter was released and closed. However, when you first load a new roll of film the winder will pre-roll the film until the frame counter reaches the '1' position. If you are testing the winder on an empty camera, you won't ever reach the '1' position on the frame counter.

the easiest way to test is to put in a roll of film, leave the lens cap on, switch the shutter to a fast speed (e.g., x-sync) and small aperture, and do your testing in a dimly lighted room. When done, rewind your film just until it slips off the take-up spool - not all the way into its canister. Your film should be unexposed and you will be able to use the roll normally.
I'd add to use the eyepiece cover also.

06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You want to attach the ME Winder II on the camera AFTER the shutter has been pressed/released and BEFORE you advance the film. If you attach the Winder with a fully cocked and ready shutter, it will not operate correctly.

Try connecting it the way I describe, and you shouldn't have any issues.

If you do have issues, check the little pins on the winder. Sometimes they get gunked up from Battery residue and don't seat correctly on the bottom of the ME Super or Super Program or Program Plus.
06-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual can be found at:

Pentax winder MEII

I believe you may find all your answers there.

Steve
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
I'd add to use the eyepiece cover also.
While it won't hurt, it won't help either. The shutter is only open when the mirror is up, and if the mirror is up you won't expose the film through the viewfinder unless the seal is in poor shape. The eyepiece cover is used so the meter isn't affected by stay light before the shutter opens.
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
I rechecked mine and it goes this way:
1. Winder attached with switch OFF and set to 125x. Camera is uncocked and set at X100 speed.
2. Both camera and winder have fresh, tested batteries.
3. Half-pressing on winder's trigger button turns on the meter, but does nothing. No advance, no cocking.
4. If I full-press, then, the action is Wind - Shoot - Cock. I cannot separate those three-on-one actions.
5. I have this done repeatedly without film, back open.
6. Then load a roll of film and it does the same. I load the film after winder attached.

I have read the manual, apparently there's nothing showing the sequence (that Wind - Shoot - Cock). It just says about S and C mode usage, attachment procedure.

Well that's it.
Unfortunately, for me, the ME is too small to use without the winder.
06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give me a couple of minutes to get my MESuper up and running with fresh batteries in the winder and the camera. I'll shoot some video in a sec...
06-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ugh..my hands look HORRIBLE in the video!!! Very *manly* looking. Just a few minutes more as the video renders.
06-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, here is the video.
The focus is a little off - my bad, and of course ugly looking hands.

<I took down the video>

Sorry.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 08-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.
06-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
and of course ugly looking hands.
Not at all. the hands of a working photographer.