Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #1

Super-A/Super Program viewfinder problem

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a Pentax Super A film camera (known as Super Program in the US), which seems to be almost in a like new condition. However, I'm having trouble reading the shutter speed / aperture numbers from the LCD's that are below the viewfinder image.

It seems that no matter how I try to position my eye to the eyecup, I can only see at most about a 2/3 or a 3/4 part of the bottom of the LCD's, so that the upper parts of the numbers get cut off. The readings are therefore just barely legible. With eyeglasses it's even more difficult to see those numbers. If I look even slightly "from upwards" to the viewfinder, the LCD panels aren't visible at all.

Do you think that there's a problem with the camera (the LCD's being misaligned or something), or is it just my forehead being incompatible with this model?

01-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently picked one up as well. There is a little frosted plastic window on the front of the prism housing. Its function (or at least one of its functions) seems to be to light the LED display inside the viewfinder. If it is blocked or the light in the room where you are testing it is too dim, the numbers inside the viewfinder are difficult to read. Although I don't particularly like the display on this camera, I really like how it handles otherwise. It is not much bigger than my Leica IIIf.
01-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've recently acquired the Super Program. I have to look exactly straight through the VF to see the lcds but they are clearly visible. If I look up or down at them they get cut off. But I don't know enough about the camera to say if yours is messed up or not. One thing's for sure, they didn't make them very big back then!
01-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I've had my Super Program since they came out, The view finder is picky and you have to look straight thru it. Since your having trouble seeing the numbers from any angle, I'd say something is out of alignment.

01-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions. It indeed seems something is wrong with the camera, I even had someone else look through the viewfinder and she couldn't find a way to see the numbers completely either. The lower parts of the numbers are quite clearly visible and in dark conditions the small button on the left side of the lens barrel that lights up the LCD panels helps.

I noticed from the Super Program service manual (available here) that there are two screws under the front panel, just about behind the PENTAX logo, that adjust the LCD panels' position inside the viewfinder chamber.

It seems that getting to those screws would require disassembly of the whole front panel and all the knobs and buttons though, and I'm not really into that... I suppose I'll just return it to the seller, at least he has a warranty policy.