Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Official Proclamation

The great selloff of film gear is over. Film is now where it's at!

BTW if you really want a deal on a used camera, have a look at 5 year-old digitals...

Chris

06-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Except 620 boxes and folders...
06-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
an increase in people buying and reselling gear which has driven the overall market upwards.
Indeed! I know of two people here in Vancouver who scour yard sales and thrift shops daily in search of photography gear to resell. There are also a couple of marketplace users on this site that turn a lot of gear (some of dubious quality) and who are apparently doing the same thing.

Steve
06-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Except 620 boxes and folders...
Add 616 and other extinct formats such as 127, though there are workarounds if the camera is worth the effort. The Kodak Medalist would be a good example where conversion to 120 compatible is common. And for the die-hards, there are devices to cut 120 down to 127 width for re-spooling.

Steve

06-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

BTW if you really want a deal on a used camera, have a look at 5 year-old digitals...

Chris
Truly. I see 1.3 to 4 or 5 megapixel cameras all the time at the flea market. Little boat anchors, no one wants them.
06-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Add 616 and other extinct formats such as 127, though there are workarounds if the camera is worth the effort. The Kodak Medalist would be a good example where conversion to 120 compatible is common. And for the die-hards, there are devices to cut 120 down to 127 width for re-spooling.

Steve
I think it is EFKE that is still making 127 film in both standard B&W and infrared film. Little more than I want to pay for it as can get 120 for about one third less. Lomography just released new B&W 110 film as well. It seems Hasselblad gear has increased a bit in the last two or three years as well, glad I got all that I need. Free gear is still available but seems less of it now. Or perhaps just on the look out again for free darkroom stuff, not for me but for some people I know that want to get into developing and printing their own (I have my own darkroom)

As far as people shooting Holgas or Dianas being Araatists; these cameras are fun and easy to use and give images that are not like either old box cameras or modern good ones. My wife has several, mostly bought my me as they make good presents, and I enjoy using them. Last year I heard on a podcast Michael Kenna saying that he has now thrown a Holga into his bag to create something unique. Make fun of Holgas and Holga users if you wish but only after you produce better body of work than Kenna Yesterday was out shooting with the local club with the K-r and brought out the A110 that I have not used for more than a decade. My brother in law gave me his old 110 film so thought would give it a spin once again.

Point and shoot film cameras are locally available for a loonie but some are as much as three loonies. Snap Crackle and Pop in my signature refers to the camera my friend gave me for my 60th birthday, it came from Kelloggs and states right on the camera to have an adult load the film for me. It is hard to find grown ups when you need them
06-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Point and shoot film cameras are locally available for a loonie but some are as much as three loonies. Snap Crackle and Pop in my signature refers to the camera my friend gave me for my 60th birthday, it came from Kelloggs and states right on the camera to have an adult load the film for me. It is hard to find grown ups when you need them
Post some pics of snap crackle and pop in the "show us your film camera" thread -- I'd love to see that one!

K.

06-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Post some pics of snap crackle and pop in the "show us your film camera" thread -- I'd love to see that one!

K.
I have been meaning to do that however there is a technical problem: I am simply lazy. But I will and will most likely change my avatar to it from my late beloved Query.
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax built a long line of the best film camera's, I think even the hipsters get that, though the K1000 is probably the best advertising tool to all those who do a photo class in school and get hooked on darkroom B&W. The freaking ridiculous number and type of Pentax compatible pre FA lenses out there is also a huge selling point.

The bodies for M42 are running up in price I think because there aren't as many left in really good working order as there used to be, but some amazingly fast M42 lenses can be had for 25% or less of what the equivalent K mount would cost, especially if its an A lens. Plus an old screw mount is just more hip.

I don't actually see most models of other brands really racing up in price, just a very few select models.
06-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I have been meaning to do that however there is a technical problem: I am simply lazy. But I will and will most likely change my avatar to it from my late beloved Query.
Nothing against the aaarteest per say but my beef is what use to be either free or cost next to nothing is now costing at least $50.00 USD for a once considered a junk camera. I can remember in 1975 saving some hockey card wrappers and I also enjoyed the stick gum that came with the hockey cards too and something like 50 cents I`d gotten a plastic Babbette brand name camera which took 127 film. Back then corner stores did sell 127 and 620 and 120 roll films and I bought myself a roll of verichrome pan 127 film for my plastic camera. Aaaah the nostalgia and good ole days.
Btw I`ve passed by and visited Medicine Hat back in 82 and it was my first experience in stepping on them little cactuses in them fields ouch!
06-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what people are going to do with those film bodies when films will be difficult to procure and even more difficult to get processed. And those days are not very far.
06-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film isn't going anywhere, its just not mainstream anymore, you will have to get it at a dedicated camera store or online, and there won't be as many players involved in selling it, but for the few that have decided to stick with it, its a clearly profitable business right now I hear and its getting to be more so as fewer and fewer companies are getting a larger share of what strangely enough seems to be a growing market (thank the hipsters as noted in above posts).

I'm seeing the most falloff in 35mm color film actually now that basically everybody has ditched their C41 processing in stores. It seems like many who really do film are either going with a larger format for its unbeatable quality, or going with home brew straight black and white for its fun simplicity. (You want instant street cred with photographers and hipsters alike? Try telling someone you have an honest to god darkroom.)

Also people note that a lot of product variety is disappearing, but with most of it I am noticing that its because technology improvements in film make the need for 47 different sub varieties unnecessary, sorta like a better digital camera sensor with a wider dynamic range. There is some stuff that will be missed, but only by the people who used it a lot back in the day, for the rest of us we will never notice. Most of the artistic effects can be reproduced in processing thankfully.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 06-18-2012 at 10:39 AM.
06-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Be grateful that Pentax is not like Nikon. From what I've seen, Nikon film bodies, good though they may be, demand three or four times the price of a similar Pentax camera.

I think cameras are also getting scarcer. Since they were so cheap, if one had an inaccurate meter or needed a service, it was often cheaper to get a new one, and the old one went on the junk heap. I always factor in a 65GBP service in the price of a film camera if it's pre-P-series.

I never put a good camera down
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Be grateful that Pentax is not like Nikon. From what I've seen, Nikon film bodies, good though they may be, demand three or four times the price of a similar Pentax camera.

I think cameras are also getting scarcer. Since they were so cheap, if one had an inaccurate meter or needed a service, it was often cheaper to get a new one, and the old one went on the junk heap. I always factor in a 65GBP service in the price of a film camera if it's pre-P-series.

I never put a good camera down
I think a Nikon F100 is much cheaper than a MZ S. But you are most likely correct for the more mundane models.

In regards to the earlier post about variety, look in Freestyle's catalogue and there is a huge variety, much bigger than I had access to when I first starting shooting in 73. At least more manufactures if you are ordering on line. But locally not so good, perhaps non existent but still will not complain when I can get C41 processing done in a city of 60 000 at two places, one of which will do it up to 8X10
06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by radium Quote
: Aaaah the nostalgia and good ole days.
Btw I`ve passed by and visited Medicine Hat back in 82 and it was my first experience in stepping on them little cactuses in them fields ouch!
We wear shoes around here or at least sturdy sandals